PDA

View Full Version : CQ Calibrating IC-420 on C650i

Custom Search

strider5555
10-12-2022, 07:01 PM
I have a customer with a Bizhub C650i with a fiery IC-420. When we set it up we calibrated it with an ES2000 with plain paper etc. Print quality was fine with plain paper, but when they ran their thick 1 or thick 2 card stock, the color was off. So I recalibrated with the thick paper stock and now it looks fine, but the plain paper colors are off. The customer has their own ES2000, and I have suggested to them that they need to calibrate for every job with the paper type they will be using, but that is too much hassle for them. Is there a way to have separate calibrations for multiple paper types? There is no paper catalague on this fiery. I also don't have color profiler suite. Not sure if the customer has it either. Any suggestions?

Synthohol
10-12-2022, 07:05 PM
save the color profiles and calibrations with CWS and apply as needed.

strider5555
10-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately from what I can determine, the Fiery has only the factory default color profiles and they can't be edited. I should give some background. I have been working on copiers for about 27 years, started on Canon analog machines (NP270 anyone?) I am a KM certified tech working for a dealer, so I do have access to KM resources. I am certified on the I series machines, and I have had occasion to work on Fierys since the 8020/Fiery X3E. Ask me to replace a hard drive, reload system software, load updates and such, even basic calibrating, but I am not certified on fiery controllers. I can figure out quite a bit on my own, and I think Fiery controllers have a lot of added benefits. Perhaps Should start from scratch, reset the calibrations to default, and start over. The customer is a cosmetics wholesaler and they print the brochures and pamphlets for their sale reps, so the color has to be fairly close, and the end users do have some knowledge. Ok so I guess my question is, can I have different calibrations at the same time for different paper type? Do I need to create custom profiles to achieve this? and to do that would I need the color profiler suite? The customer previously had a C658 with a fiery as well, and I don't recall having this issue. Sorry to ramble on, I am just running out of ideas, and I have found plenty of solutions to other problems on this site, so I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Synthohol
10-12-2022, 10:01 PM
in command workstation (CWS) after calibrating, isnt there a button to save/restore calibration?
fwiw imho a color sensitive job or any "production print" type of job the fiery and main body need calibration daily to keep consistent output.
sell an ES2000 to them and train to use it.
pantone colors and different media, it should be their responsibility to calibrate before each "important" job(s).
its really that simple, no reliable shortcuts.
EFI states that fierys should be calibrated daily, now in a word/excel environment it really wont matter much but as you describe when the correct colors need be made calibration of the engine and fiery is important.

strider5555
10-12-2022, 10:35 PM
Totally agree with the calibration per job, and I explained that to them. They do have an ES-2000, and i did show them how to use it, but customers don't want to do the work. There is a place to export measurements, and to restore defaults. It looks like I will need to go back and do some more training and try some different things. I dislike fussy customers for this reason. Fortunately they are few and far between, at least for me. Soon this will become billable support, and maybe then they will listen, :cool:

Synthohol
10-12-2022, 11:22 PM
after the 2nd calibration in a calander year we charge a full hour labor.
that shit ain't in nobody's contract!!

im sure you know but for the sake of others reading, the best way i found to calibrate is:

make sure mirrors are clean and not ozone or dust contaminated
run one round of toner add in service mode
clean the lasers off
clean reg/density sensors
print halftone patterns to make sure the drums or belt aren't streaking
run background data reset and stabilize
run each gradation category 3 times
stabilize
exit service mode and NOW the fiery can be calibrated.

some people dont realize the fiery is calibrated from engine output, if the engine is calibrated then the Fiery calibration will be as best as possible.
if the engine is out of whack so will be the fiery.

just my .02

as far as them not wanting to do the work, remind them they have to put down the toilet seat before taking a dump.
you can leave the seat "uncalibrated" for the "job" but its too cold and wet. not a good output.

if you want the job to go right you must do the work.

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 04:02 PM
after the 2nd calibration in a calander year we charge a full hour labor.
that shit ain't in nobody's contract!!

im sure you know but for the sake of others reading, the best way i found to calibrate is:

make sure mirrors are clean and not ozone or dust contaminated
run one round of toner add in service mode
clean the lasers off
clean reg/density sensors
print halftone patterns to make sure the drums or belt aren't streaking
run background data reset and stabilize
run each gradation category 3 times
stabilize
exit service mode and NOW the fiery can be calibrated.

some people dont realize the fiery is calibrated from engine output, if the engine is calibrated then the Fiery calibration will be as best as possible.
if the engine is out of whack so will be the fiery.

just my .02

as far as them not wanting to do the work, remind them they have to put down the toilet seat before taking a dump.
you can leave the seat "uncalibrated" for the "job" but its too cold and wet. not a good output.

if you want the job to go right you must do the work.

Interesting together with funny 🤣... Synthohol you'da man!

Custom Search