PDA

View Full Version : Scaninng

Custom Search

Acadien
10-12-2022, 08:35 PM
What is your favorite scanning setup unless ask otherwise.
would it be...

scan to email
Scan to SMB

or else?

allan
10-12-2022, 08:53 PM
email....

A poll would work here.

bsm2
10-12-2022, 09:11 PM
either but email seems more popular

rrrohan
10-13-2022, 07:48 AM
i prefer email. a lot of sites i go to dont have local DNS so if IP changes it breaks SMB/FTP. If they dont have IT they pretty much never know the login password for the router to reserve addresses neither.

and if they dont have email account i just get them to create a gmail account.

so for most installs emails are preferred

techsxge
10-13-2022, 08:37 AM
SMB and Email, partly. If i am allowed to build what i want, i do both:

Have the MFP in its own network which can only communicate with a printing server. The printing server functions as the "door" to the other networks to allow printing. It can only route specific ports that are needed for the wanted functions. if you want to scan, here is how it works:

The Machine will scan using SMB to the printing Server. On the printing server, it will check which SMB Scan Target was selected and then Scan to the Email address. For Problems with the Email Providers, for example email provider server problems, i also have registered a backup address so if a email cant be send to the wanted email, it'll send to a general, local address everyone can access. Not a single Scan problem in 5 years occured.
And the printing Server is just an 30$ Raspberry PI i bought on ebay.

tulintron
10-13-2022, 01:40 PM
Here we have constant problems with scanner. It may be a lack of knowledge, but we realized that to configure SMB there is always a problem. My last case is a fight between a Bizhub 4750 and Windows 10. The desire I have is to put the two together and explode. LOL I realize that by email is more faithful.

Hansoon
10-13-2022, 03:05 PM
How'bout scanning to a NAS with FTP?
I don't like SMB cause it always gets f'd up after some time.

Hans

techsxge
10-13-2022, 04:09 PM
How'bout scanning to a NAS with FTP?
I don't like SMB cause it always gets f'd up after some time.

Hans
SMB gets fcked every now and then if you are using windows yes.
I'd still use SMB to scan in NAS. Would not realy like to use a 40 year old shitty protected protocoll for scanning.

techsxge
10-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Here we have constant problems with scanner. It may be a lack of knowledge, but we realized that to configure SMB there is always a problem. My last case is a fight between a Bizhub 4750 and Windows 10. The desire I have is to put the two together and explode. LOL I realize that by email is more faithful.
Sounds like you're doing something wrong. I have normal, easy SMB setups at 100+ Customers, rarely hear anything back from them except they want a new scan user

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 06:16 PM

This model required specific firmware level to use SMBv2 which normally is used by Win10.
As for setting SMB scan it is always hit and miss depending on Windows version they have, antivirus software, 3rd party firewalls and so on :) I'm not always happy camper with SMB scan although I made quite a few.

tulintron
10-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Sounds like you're doing something wrong. I have normal, easy SMB setups at 100+ Customers, rarely hear anything back from them except they want a new scan userThere really is some problem or error and I can't find where. But we have other models with SMB and everything goes well, although I prefer by email.

tulintron
10-13-2022, 07:55 PM
This model required specific firmware level to use SMBv2 which normally is used by Win10.
As for setting SMB scan it is always hit and miss depending on Windows version they have, antivirus software, 3rd party firewalls and so on :) I'm not always happy camper with SMB scan although I made quite a few.Didn't know about this information. I gave permission to Windows 10 to operate with SmB 1.0/2.0/3.0.

It still doesn't work. I noticed that in network settings, in the SMB options, there is no option to change workgroup among other functions that also do not appear. I believe that's my problem.

slimslob
10-13-2022, 08:09 PM
Didn't know about this information. I gave permission to Windows 10 to operate with SmB 1.0/2.0/3.0.

It still doesn't work. I noticed that in network settings, in the SMB options, there is no option to change workgroup among other functions that also do not appear. I believe that's my problem.

Unless you have actually gone into the registration editor and enabled smbv1, scanning to folder from a machine that does not support SMB v2/3 will fail. Even if you have enabled smb v1, the next Microsoft update will disable it.

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 08:09 PM
Didn't know about this information. I gave permission to Windows 10 to operate with SmB 1.0/2.0/3.0.

What is Windows 10 type? You give me Anydesk when we both have time and will try my best to help fellow tech.

techsxge
10-13-2022, 08:20 PM
As for setting SMB scan it is always hit and miss depending on Windows version they have, antivirus software, 3rd party firewalls and so on :) I'm not always happy camper with SMB scan although I made quite a few.

I agree. This is exactly why i do the print server stuff. No need to have not needed updates for smb protocol. Only time it can fail is when there is no power. From there you can use webdav or email to access the files...
I can only say it again, a raspberry pi costs like 40-50$... If your customer does not have those 50$, you should ask yourself how he will pay the next bill when you come by because of smb problems

techsxge
10-13-2022, 08:21 PM
There really is some problem or error and I can't find where. But we have other models with SMB and everything goes well, although I prefer by email.
If you need any help with setting up scans of any kind, feel free to drop me an email at info@sxge.tech

tulintron
10-13-2022, 09:22 PM
What is Windows 10 type? You give me Anydesk when we both have time and will try my best to help fellow tech.The client will only be available next Monday. Here at the lab, I connected a printer to Windows 10 and it worked.

On Monday I will try my best and post the result for you

Tsbservice, thanks for your willingness to help.

tulintron
10-13-2022, 09:25 PM
If you need any help with setting up scans of any kind, feel free to drop me an email at info@sxge.techReally grateful for the goodwill. I will try my best and hope for a positive result on Monday. Thank Techsxge

rrrohan
10-14-2022, 02:04 AM
If when they first connected to network they set it as a public network it disables file sharing. Sometimes its as simple as that. Just change it to private

techsxge
10-14-2022, 10:20 AM
I got time off work on monday and tuesday. So if you need any help, drop me an email

emujo2
10-14-2022, 09:53 PM
1 year ago I would have said email, email, email, but with all the 2FA changes, and who knows what's next, I'm thinking HDD TWAIN..E

slimslob
10-14-2022, 10:54 PM
1 year ago I would have said email, email, email, but with all the 2FA changes, and who knows what's next, I'm thinking HDD TWAIN..E

Stick with major email providers and keep up to date on what their support people recommend. Both Gmail and Office 365 have options for corporate, paid not the free ones, accounts that do not require 2FA. It does require that the account manager login and make specific settings. The same is true with most hosting services that small businesses use for their websites.

techsxge
10-14-2022, 11:30 PM
As long as you do not need to scan outside the network with scan2email, you could just create email server if you dont have some email server programm like tobit already... Then you can use any email address you need or want

rrrohan
10-18-2022, 12:21 PM
scan to URL is something people often forget. its a good middle ground.

its local SMB for large scan jobs but without the need to setup folders

tulintron
10-19-2022, 09:08 PM
Good afternoon everyone, guys. I really can't say what happened, but I did the remote access and configured the scanner over SMB. It just worked. I don't know what the error was.
The important thing is that it's working.

Custom Search