PDA

View Full Version : C458 + probably dead MFBP

Custom Search

Gift
10-13-2022, 03:04 PM
Hey guys, my memory became a bit clouded when it comes to swapping USED boards on this series. We have a unit that won't boot up at all and already ruled out HDD/EMMC so we think the MFPB board is screwed.
Since this customer has a service contract I'd prefer to pick a used board from a donator but the documentation doesn't really recommend that.

My tech thinks he can run the reset tool on the parts donator, shut down the machine and take the resettet MFPB board to fix the customers MFP.

Sounds like a good idea - what would you guys recommend?

blackcat4866
10-13-2022, 03:12 PM
I was not aware that the MFPB reset tool was available for the xxx8e series, but yes ... that should work. It works on the xxx4e series. Be aware that running the reset tool often ends up in a changed CE password, requiring that call to the hotline. =^..^=

40yearsplus
10-13-2022, 03:14 PM
I have not had to do this but it sounds like it is worth a try since you are probably doing it to save money.

You can always revert back and put the other board in if its giving you any type of function til you order the new one?

techsxge
10-13-2022, 03:32 PM
I also only have the reset tool for the xx4 machines but i used it on xx8 machines too before. Its a bit of gamble if the machine accepts it.

allan
10-13-2022, 03:44 PM
Just make sure to carry the EEPROM and EMMc(SSD) from the old board to the "new" board.

Board replacement cases.pdf - Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h2dlZKpKNCXajEtY9_csMA4yztThgYfX/view?usp=sharing)

techsxge
10-13-2022, 03:51 PM
Wasnt it like:
1. Remvoe HDD
2. Boot in Firmware Screen
3. Update Firmware
4. update Moviedata
5. Enter Serials
6. Reconnect HDD
7. Profit

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Just make sure to carry the EEPROM and EMMc(SSD) from the old board to the "new" board.

Board replacement cases.pdf - Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h2dlZKpKNCXajEtY9_csMA4yztThgYfX/view?usp=sharing)

+1. It's probably good at first to run reset tool on donor MFPB before putting in troubled machine but in my case it wasn't possible so yeah only swap 2 EEPROM & EMMC.

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 04:10 PM

+1. It's probably good at first to run reset tool on donor MFPB before putting in troubled machine but in my case it wasn't possible so yeah only swap 2 EEPROM & EMMC.

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 04:13 PM
Wasnt it like:
1. Remvoe HDD
2. Boot in Firmware Screen
3. Update Firmware
4. update Moviedata
5. Enter Serials
6. Reconnect HDD
7. Profit

Movie data(animation guide) resides on HDD :)

adecanmin
10-13-2022, 04:25 PM
Hey guys, my memory became a bit clouded when it comes to swapping USED boards on this series. We have a unit that won't boot up at all and already ruled out HDD/EMMC so we think the MFPB board is screwed.
Since this customer has a service contract I'd prefer to pick a used board from a donator but the documentation doesn't really recommend that.

My tech thinks he can run the reset tool on the parts donator, shut down the machine and take the resettet MFPB board to fix the customers MFP.

Sounds like a good idea - what would you guys recommend?

This may help

allan
10-13-2022, 04:27 PM
If you move the EMMc end the EEPROM then you only really need to start with firmware if the version don't match no need for the reset tool.

tsbservice
10-13-2022, 05:01 PM
This may help

This is for previous generation. 8 series a bit different.

adecanmin
10-13-2022, 05:10 PM
Good to know

techsxge
10-13-2022, 07:22 PM
This may help
this is the instruction for NEW BOARDS, not USED

tulintron
10-13-2022, 09:04 PM
it is a long, delicate and high-risk process.
Have all the necessary fws on hand. I think it's 05 Fw. After using the reset tool, the board to be used will be considered new, so follow the steps for a new board.

I only did this once in Series 8. I was successful.
But before that, it went very wrong and took me 03 days

Gift
10-14-2022, 08:38 AM
Thank y'all for the input and suggestions, guess we're kind of the same page here that it's worth a try. I'll keep you on the loop.

Zesti
10-14-2022, 10:24 AM
I also only have the reset tool for the xx4 machines but i used it on xx8 machines too before. Its a bit of gamble if the machine accepts it.
Will you pl recall/share any more info of outcome of using XXX4 reset toll on XXX8.

techsxge
10-14-2022, 10:41 AM
Will you pl recall/share any more info of outcome of using XXX4 reset toll on XXX8.
On some Machines it works, on some it does not. Has nothing to do with firmware i think because i keep them updated. Could be possible installed i-options or different product-revisions that hinder the reset tool from working. Have not done enough testing on it because it happened like 10 times so far

Gift
10-14-2022, 11:14 AM

I don't think this is the same tool, one is called A145FW (4series) and the other a789be (8series/i series)

techsxge
10-14-2022, 12:38 PM
I don't think this is the same tool, one is called A145FW (4series) and the other a789be (8series/i series)
Isn't A145FW suitable for all Color machines? tleast thats what it says on my documentation but i wrote that myself from experience

Gift
10-14-2022, 02:48 PM
Isn't A145FW suitable for all Color machines? tleast thats what it says on my documentation but i wrote that myself from experience

Might be the same file under the hood, I'm not shure about that.

However things went kind of smooth with only little struggle on site:

Tech swapped the NVRams and EMMC from the faulty to the "renewed" board and started with FW. Everything behaved like it should but it seemed there was some confusion with the machine type at first.
It was shown correctly but the machine behaved weird (some odd external memory message popped up), he gave it another try and re-wrote the machine type, even though it was displayed correctly and then everything went smooth.

Thanks again and good luck in case you wanna try^^

Custom Search