PDA

View Full Version : Changing batteries on a mfpb e series machine

Custom Search

adecanmin
10-15-2022, 04:07 PM
Gentlemen.
I've read everything I could about this issue. If the firmware fix is applied. What happens if the battery drops below 3volts and needs to be replaced? What are the symptoms? Is it just a matter of changing the battery and putting the correct time and date or does more work need to done. How many have replaced the batteries? Can you use just one? Or do you have to put three together. I have a lot of the e series. All are left on except for one customer who turns his off. I told him to leave his on until I can get the firmware to fix the issue.

copier tech
10-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Gentlemen.
I've read everything I could about this issue. If the firmware fix is applied. What happens if the battery drops below 3volts and needs to be replaced? What are the symptoms? Is it just a matter of changing the battery and putting the correct time and date or does more work need to done. How many have replaced the batteries? Can you use just one? Or do you have to put three together. I have a lot of the e series. All are left on except for one customer who turns his off. I told him to leave his on until I can get the firmware to fix the issue.

Once the MFPB Cmos battery dies you'll need to replace the MFPB. Or resolder a new battery onto the old board & flatten with the reset tool firmware.

Gift
10-18-2022, 09:13 AM
If you replace a degenerated but not dead battery on a working mfb as a preventive measure you must solder some wires on the new battery and connect it parallel to the old so battery before cutting out the old one. The MFPB must not cut off from battery power during the procedure. The result might look like McGyver was on site but that's just cosmetics :cool:;)

Once the data gets corrupted hanks to a bad or removed battery you can end up in all sorts of trouble since the SSD board might clone the corrupted data from MFPB. There are numoerous topics about this with different scenarios and fixes. If you lucky you can revice it with the reset tool in other cases you also need a new SSD board and then boot the MFP with the reset tool. In most cases the counter data will be lost.

adecanmin
10-18-2022, 12:23 PM
If you replace a degenerated but not dead battery on a working mfb as a preventive measure you must solder some wires on the new battery and connect it parallel to the old so battery before cutting out the old one. The MFPB must not cut off from battery power during the procedure. The result might look like McGyver was on site but that's just cosmetics :cool:;)

Once the data gets corrupted hanks to a bad or removed battery you can end up in all sorts of trouble since the SSD board might clone the corrupted data from MFPB. There are numoerous topics about this with different scenarios and fixes. If you lucky you can revice it with the reset tool in other cases you also need a new SSD board and then boot the MFP with the reset tool. In most cases the counter data will be lost.

Thanks for the response. So even with the firmware GHV-M1 battery replacement should be done this way? Not sure what this firmware actually accomplishes. When I get my hands on the software. I'll have to look over the release notes.

Gift
10-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the response. So even with the firmware GHV-M1 battery replacement should be done this way? Not sure what this firmware actually accomplishes. When I get my hands on the software. I'll have to look over the release notes.

I have no idea how firmware can prevent data corruption due to a dying battery so I'd stick with the "bypass" solder method.

adecanmin
10-18-2022, 01:44 PM
I have no idea how firmware can prevent data corruption due to a dying battery so I'd stick with the "bypass" solder method.
Agreed

Sysco
10-21-2022, 02:02 PM

+1 the least you can lost all the counter data, so you can win new machine and begin from 0 the counter.

DK-tech
11-01-2022, 07:50 AM
The only "fix" in fw is that is does not destroy data on SSD. Normally if battery dies and machines is booted it will say "Serialnumber must be entered". You now have to either change MFPB AND SSD to new, or solder on new battery to MFPB and change SSD. You will loose all data and counter is reset to 0.
If the proper fw was applied BEFORE battery died you can then keep the SSD and counter data ect.

emujo2
11-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that..Adding..the firmware does not negate the need to replace the battery, just stores the info in an area that is not subject to loss if the battery dies. E

adecanmin
11-01-2022, 04:34 PM
I'm curious what the machine does when the battery dies with the firmware fix? Does it just forget the time and date? I'm assuming it boots without any major issues. Will battery replacement still be necessary if the machine stays on 24/7?

Custom Search