PDA

View Full Version : Konica minolta with dead lithium batteries

Custom Search

pickle8486
10-19-2022, 03:20 PM
Techs! Please give me some ideas as how you are replacing the SOLDERED ON lithium batteries that's on the main pwb. Photos and suggestions needed. My idea went down in flames as the metal tabs are so delicate. I thought I could just use a female connector with a battery case but the metal tabs are like tin foil.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Gift
10-19-2022, 03:40 PM
Techs! Please give me some ideas as how you are replacing the SOLDERED ON lithium batteries that's on the main pwb. Photos and suggestions needed. My idea went down in flames as the metal tabs are so delicate. I thought I could just use a female connector with a battery case but the metal tabs are like tin foil.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Initially I bought the original lithium battery for replacing but once I found out that the PCB needs the battery power at all times I soldered wires on the battery, protect it wih a heat shrink tube).
Just solder the wires on the original battery contact pins (close to the PCB) and then remove the old battery with a cutter. I know it's not beautiful ;)

If you have to buy batteries I'd tried to find some that already comes with connection wires and isolation.

tsbservice
10-19-2022, 05:51 PM
Initially I bought the original lithium battery for replacing but once I found out that the PCB needs the battery power at all times I soldered wires on the battery, protect it wih a heat shrink tube).
Just solder the wires on the original battery contact pins (close to the PCB) and then remove the old battery with a cutter. I know it's not beautiful ;)

If you have to buy batteries I'd tried to find some that already comes with connection wires and isolation.

Hey don't be shy, picture please :cool:

tech51
10-19-2022, 06:45 PM
Assuming the battery isn’t already dead I would urge you to get the latest firmware installed asap. It prevents the machine losing data when the battery eventually dies.

Hansoon
10-20-2022, 06:42 AM
Assuming the battery isn’t already dead I would urge you to get the latest firmware installed asap.

Which is?

Hans

Gift
10-20-2022, 07:11 AM
Hey don't be shy, picture please :cool:

LOL sorry, haven't taken any

Imagine using something like this:

CMOS Batterie CR2032 mit Stecker, Backup Lithium Batterie, Stecker ca. 3,2x4mm | CMOS BackUp | Lithium Batterien | Batterien | Akkushop (https://www.akkushop.de/de/cmos-batterie-cr2032-mit-stecker-backup-lithium-batterie-stecker-ca.-32x4mm/)

And handle it like this:

+/- colors might be wrong for artistical reasons^^

Hansoon
10-20-2022, 07:27 AM
COOL!

Hans

adecanmin
10-20-2022, 12:41 PM
Thanks for posting. I think there is going to be a rash of batteries needing replacement. I wonder if the ghv-m1 firmware will do anything to avoid having to do all of this.

Gift
10-20-2022, 12:59 PM
I'm not shure, we had a phase with a some cases years ago but most machines (there aren't many in the left in the field) are working fine with the initial battery.
I have the feeling that there was a "bad batch" of batteries used in production causing this problems only sporadically.
It won't hurt to check the battery voltage during service visits and replace it if you notice a voltage drop but I wouldn't swap them all the time.

occus
10-20-2022, 01:00 PM
Konica Minolta made the recommendation that the customer should not turn off the device to avoid the problem. I'm wondering if changing the battery while the device it's on would also be a solution... ?

Gift
10-20-2022, 01:32 PM
Konica Minolta made the recommendation that the customer should not turn off the device to avoid the problem. I'm wondering if changing the battery while the device it's on would also be a solution... ?

LOL good luck with changing a soldered battery during operation :p;)

That KM recommendation also sounds lika a joke. In most cases the affected MFPs has been switched on 24/7 but sometimes you can't avoid it, like if you move the machine or do certain repair jobs.
Another thing is that many dealers has a collection of 2nd hand MFPs in store for refurb purposes - no way to power them all time.

tulintron
10-20-2022, 01:43 PM
On the subject of batteries, I have a 4750 with the date in 2000 year.

When I update date and time, the panel freezes.

Anyone for a tip? I didn't find battery.

ltdiniz
10-20-2022, 01:55 PM
Hey guys!
I've never done this procedure myself, but I've found all these accessories, which I think solve your problems.
I imagined that it can work and the aesthetics of the equipment is not too ugly.
I found in an electronics store in my city the CR2477 lithium battery similar to the MFPB and analyzed it to assemble
that way there with a connector and insulate with a shrink-wrap around the battery so you don't have an electrical short.
I hope to help members with this tip.
Thanks

B0265
10-20-2022, 02:10 PM
I think the recommedation from KM was to "Advise the customer to not to power off or unplug the device until a new MFPB can be installed."

Gift
10-20-2022, 02:18 PM

is there a date/time setting in service mode like that settings you had to do if you install the A3 models?

allan
10-20-2022, 05:21 PM

You want to avoid cycling the battery. It got about 500 good charge discharge cycles...

tsbservice
10-20-2022, 05:23 PM

These are known for bad panels.

tulintron
10-20-2022, 05:36 PM
These are known for bad panels.And is there any way out? I read something that says have nvram for the panel. True? I took it apart and didn't find it. I don't like these printers.

tsbservice
10-20-2022, 05:50 PM
And is there any way out? I read something that says have nvram for the panel. True? I don't like these printers.

Not to our understanding my friend. You should have spare machine with these little Lexys.
As much as I hate them they can run to pretty high counters.

tulintron
10-20-2022, 06:04 PM
Not to our understanding my friend. You should have spare machine with these little Lexys.
As much as I hate them they can run to pretty high counters.
thanks, bro.

Gift
10-21-2022, 07:10 AM
These are known for bad panels.

The failure rate is indeed higher than usual but I can't recall that symptome described by tulintron (wrong date/time, freeze after setting).

tulintron
10-21-2022, 12:09 PM
The failure rate is indeed higher than usual but I can't recall that symptome described by tulintron (wrong date/time, freeze after setting).
Good Morning. I'm going to the customer today and I'm going to follow your steps on setting it up in service mode.
In the end, I let you know

Copier repairman
10-24-2022, 01:57 PM
Be careful when replacing the button battery.
The motherboard is a board with two double-sided boards combined.
Working with a normal soldering machine can kill the motherboard.
Applied size : CR2477 button battery 3v

55140 55141

REGSIS
01-14-2023, 08:43 AM
LOL sorry, haven't taken any

Imagine using something like this:

CMOS Batterie CR2032 mit Stecker, Backup Lithium Batterie, Stecker ca. 3,2x4mm | CMOS BackUp | Lithium Batterien | Batterien | Akkushop (https://www.akkushop.de/de/cmos-batterie-cr2032-mit-stecker-backup-lithium-batterie-stecker-ca.-32x4mm/)

And handle it like this:

+/- colors might be wrong for artistical reasons^^

One of machines lost all of data while powered ON.
Put bizhub on its place. Working fine until I plugged in the network cable and machine froze. After that it shows Bios mode.

My question is: since it is delicate to remove battery tabs without cutting them, can I solder new battery in paralel to the old one and leave it like that as a permanent solution ( (without removing the old battery).

Old batery shows 0.31V and new one 3.06V.

According to voltage of old battery loss of data should happen long ago since machine was recently powered OFF for preventive maintenance and powered ON normally.

Not sure that drained battery is the sole reason for loss of data, all of them should be dead by now (7 years ot least).
Must be a combination of factors.

Toxic
01-16-2023, 08:38 AM
I just checked some battery from bizhub 420 and that thing is about 13-15 years old but battery is at 2.8v.
Propably battery quality is important, this one is Sanyo.

My question is: since it is delicate to remove battery tabs without cutting them, can I solder new battery in paralel to the old one and leave it like that as a permanent solution ( (without removing the old battery).

If old battery is bad enough it will have high internal resistance so it will not drain much curent from new battery.
You can solder new battery in paralel with old one and measure is there voltage drop.
If there is no voltage drop after few hours i think it is save to leave like that.

Gift
01-16-2023, 12:11 PM
I'd recomment to remove the old one or at least cut away one connection - it's not that tricky and the result doesn't have to win a model contest.
But I agree that it's unlikeliky that you'll end up in trouble soon.

REGSIS
02-15-2023, 09:15 AM
Managed to find a way to detach old battery without cutting the pins.
Soldered two wires on battery at one end and on pins at the other end. Secure (fixed) with tape in original position.

REGSIS
03-26-2023, 10:20 AM
Is it safe to update FW from GD4-E4 to GHV-M1 (prevents loss of counter & SN when battery is dead)?
Is it a too much gap beetween FW versions?
Anyone done this before?
I think GD4-E4 is function version 5. GHV-M1 is F.V. 7.

tsbservice
03-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Is it safe to update FW from GD4-E4 to GHV-M1 (prevents loss of counter & SN when battery is dead)?
Is it a too much gap beetween FW versions?
Anyone done this before?
I think GD4-E4 is function version 5. GHV-M1 is F.V. 7.

I think did that once with one C224e with old firmware to the new. The problem is I feel those model is somehow risky about firmware updates but I think you already know this. I like to test my limits so in your place I would jump in... but that's just me :cool:

REGSIS
03-28-2023, 07:04 AM
I think did that once with one C224e with old firmware to the new. The problem is I feel those model is somehow risky about firmware updates but I think you already know this. I like to test my limits so in your place I would jump in... but that's just me :cool:

"If you're not willing to take the risk, go and sell the icecream." ��
I updated the FW, all is working.
The only difference I noticed when upgrading to this particulal FW when the gap between FW versions is big that machine cannot reboot after update (it constantly reboots). I had to switch OFF/ON but everything else was fine.
It happened to me this time GD4-E4 --> GHV-M1 and before this on G20-K6 --> GHV-M1.
All the others were G20-M1 --> GHV-M1; updated according to the procedure.

Custom Search