PDA

View Full Version : Why do the I series suck so bad, yes there's a question in my post,lol.

Custom Search

pickle8486
10-21-2022, 04:56 PM
So on with another question. Ok, so KM came out with the 4e series, it was a pretty good machine at the time, minus the ssd issue in the beginning and lithium battery issues where machines have been kept way past the 5 year mark.
Then came the 8 series... an even better machine but required drums to be changed at 150k mark whereas the 4 series could go 250k. Other than that it was the best machine(in my opinion) KM produced.
Now comes the I series....... Did the design engineers that developed the previous machines retire? Or did KM hire kids that were used to playing with Legos to help design these turds. Even if you take out the software glitches the machines themselves are horribly designed. Paper thin metal that can be bent if you look at it too hard and parts that just stop working for no reason other than shotty design. I want to blame Covid for this but know deep down its the engineers that designed this thing that's the issue. Yes I know this is more of a rant that technical but felt I should ask other techs of THEIR OPINIONS about the I series. It can't be just me that feels this way. Right now I got one not spinning the toner bottles. Yesturday it was phantom jams on a different machine, day before that fuser errors. WTF....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

tsbservice
10-21-2022, 06:08 PM
So on with another question. Ok, so KM came out with the 4e series, it was a pretty good machine at the time, minus the ssd issue in the beginning and lithium battery issues where machines have been kept way past the 5 year mark.
Then came the 8 series... an even better machine but required drums to be changed at 150k mark whereas the 4 series could go 250k. Other than that it was the best machine(in my opinion) KM produced.
Now comes the I series....... Did the design engineers that developed the previous machines retire? Or did KM hire kids that were used to playing with Legos to help design these turds. Even if you take out the software glitches the machines themselves are horribly designed. Paper thin metal that can be bent if you look at it too hard and parts that just stop working for no reason other than shotty design. I want to blame Covid for this but know deep down its the engineers that designed this thing that's the issue. Yes I know this is more of a rant that technical but felt I should ask other techs of THEIR OPINIONS about the I series. It can't be just me that feels this way. Right now I got one not spinning the toner bottles. Yesturday it was phantom jams on a different machine, day before that fuser errors. WTF....

All that stuff is called Ecology + Economy equals to more Profit. In example, you want less ozone, then forget about charge wires and welcome tiny printers charge rollers. I installed yesterday bizhib C3350i and it was over the pallet looking so fragile so if MFP weight is 50 kilogrammes I suspect pallet can sustain up to exactly 50 kilogrammes and not even 1 kilogramme more :confused:
Brand new bizhib 550i reboots constantly on setup due to bad firmware :confused:
I believe currently this is situation with all manufacturers. Freaking new reality 🤣

copyman
10-21-2022, 06:20 PM

Most Kon Min techs feel as you do. The new machines are getting progressively worse. Personally I like the 4 series better than the 8 series. Although the 8 series is close to the 4 series it was the beginning of the end for Kon/Min. First they changed the drums in 8 series so they wouldn't last as long now they are designing the machines to last 5 years if lucky.

Just my opinion, after what Kon/Min did to their dealers & customers with the toner shortage and now selling crap equipment it's only a matter of time before Canon takes control of the market.

adecanmin
10-21-2022, 08:21 PM
Won't they fix the bugs with firmware eventually? That will not take care of the cheaply made components. I'm concerned what comes after the i series. I'm going to sell the 8 series for a few more years then I will have to sell the i series. Even with these issues my life is so much better not having to work on Minolta's old analogue machines. EP5000, 4050 , 2080, 3170 etc. Color digital cf3102-2002 junk.

mojorolla
10-21-2022, 08:31 PM
These machines Solutions docs are getting ridiculously large.
The C550 Solution doc currently sits at 533 pages with 453 different bugs and glitches.
I believe the "i" stands for "incomplete"; these are horrible boxes.

:)

copyman
10-21-2022, 10:22 PM
Or the "i" could mean"idiot designed" ......

copyrooks
10-22-2022, 05:30 AM
I series is terrible. Transfer belts getting clogged. Drums and fusers not lasting. Doc feeders having to be modified. Storage boards failing. Constant firmware updates. Even feed rollers not lasting 30000. Even the desktop 4050i/c3350i series are bad. Failing imaging unit, failing transfer belts and waste toner bottles.

femaster
10-22-2022, 07:03 AM
We've had multiple issues with the i-models, but the latest was just poor quality control. Fresh out of the box C300i with a DF-714 mounted to it. Couldn't get a single sheet of paper through it, J-6633 jams every single time.

During troubleshooting, it was determined that the registration rollers weren't turning. Did sensor and load checks and found that everything was good except the M3 motor that drives the registration rollers, it wouldn't operate at all. Removed the cover and found that the wire for the motor was just laying in there, it had never been plugged into the socket on the ADF board.

jwai
10-24-2022, 06:16 PM
Most Kon Min techs feel as you do. The new machines are getting progressively worse. Personally I like the 4 series better than the 8 series. Although the 8 series is close to the 4 series it was the beginning of the end for Kon/Min. First they changed the drums in 8 series so they wouldn't last as long now they are designing the machines to last 5 years if lucky.

Just my opinion, after what Kon/Min did to their dealers & customers with the toner shortage and now selling crap equipment it's only a matter of time before Canon takes control of the market.

Agree~

Reed
11-03-2022, 04:47 AM
I would agree. The 4e series have been solid machines. Kyocera had a solid machine with the Falcon Series then they went and completely messed it up when they went to the TaskAlfa 3500i style. It's almost as if they thought it was too good of a machine and they couldn't have that.

Oystercopy
11-06-2022, 10:56 PM
Just my opinion, after what Kon/Min did to their dealers & customers with the toner shortage and now selling crap equipment it's only a matter of time before Canon takes control of the market

I don't have many of the i series out (mostly due to unavailability) but just assembling those little C-3350i machines is a headache in itself. I'm lucky, but the ones I have (c-360i) out in the field seem to be running OK for now (crossing my fingers). I'm hoping they have most of the bugs worked out by now, but I agree.... KM is taking a nosedive in quality, you can just tell.

And the toner/supply shortage thing is just inexcusable at this point in time after Covid. I really liked these boxes and they have been a far cry from the Toshiba boxes I sold in the past.

OC

emujo2
11-07-2022, 04:01 PM
Has anyone seen issues with the I series time settings going back to 2018? Out of the blue from what we can tell. No errors (except when connected to LDAP and some email providers. E

Konicatech
11-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Has anyone seen issues with the I series time settings going back to 2018? Out of the blue from what we can tell. No errors (except when connected to LDAP and some email providers. E

I had this recently, customer was using office365 - Because the date/time was out by so much the SSL Cert on the machine had expired too and it refused to scan.

Custom Search