PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub C658 ADF Compatibility & "original left on glass"

Custom Search

D Colour
10-25-2022, 10:51 AM
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help with this. We have an Olivetti MF654 (Konica C658), that we think has an issue with the dual scan document feeder.

So the background is that the machine basically keeps thinking there is an "original left on glass" when you try to load the document feeder. In rare instances it would also mis-detect A4 on the glass as A3.

I had searched the forum for this error and we have tried various solutions:
Adjusted ADF position -skew/height.**
Cleaned ADF white sheet, optics and underside of glass.
Checked reed switch and angle sensor.**
Setup non image erase area.
Checked connectors on CCD board & blow out around CCD area.
Replaced (A3) original size sensor under glass.

**When the document feeder is adjusted to sit nice and flush and square to all corners, it doesn't make wonderful contact with the angle sensor and we thought this might have been the cause of the issue. In order to get it to make proper contact, the front right corner does lift up a notable amount. See pic. I dont know if it is possible for an ADF to become skewed/warped over time!?

The next call we arrived on site armed with a DF704 and DF629 and this is were I am hoping you guys can help! From what I can gather, the C658 comes standard with a heavier version dual scan ADF - which I believe is DF703. As opposed to DF704 which is the dual scan ADF option for the slower machines (C258/308/368). The DF629 being the standard RADF for the slower machines.

When either DF704 or DF629 was fitted it seemed to rectify the "original left on glass" issue, but created another problem. Because the DF704 and DF629 don't scan as fast as the DF703, copies and scans where being stretched. Even after setting the ADF in service mode to "Single Sided Scan Tx." Since discovered this option isnt used on the C658/558/458.

My question is, is there a software switch/engine bit switch that will allow the proper use of these other, slower document feeders? Or would you have any other suggestions we could try?

Thanks

James

techsxge
10-25-2022, 11:32 AM
First off:
Replace the white "sheet" that sits above the scanning glass.
It is also worth to try and clean the scanner itself. It is often very dirty depending on the enviroment.

I'd not replace the whole upper Part against a slower one. You'd need to replace the whole scan unit for this.

In your case it is most likely too much light getting into the machine, easy to check if you turn off the lights in the room and try

D Colour
10-25-2022, 12:07 PM
Hi techsxge, thanks for the reply.

Did think about replacing the white sheet, but it is spotless, really is as good as new, no creases or anything. But can try this. We have plenty of other ADF sheets in the field that look like some sort of fancy art and they dont give any issues!

Believe it or not, we have tested it with the lights off as I think that was mentioned in another post about the issue. I don't think light getting in is an issue as we have the same problem when the ADF sits nice and flush allowing no light in.

Hap
10-25-2022, 02:18 PM
Hi guys

Wondering if anyone can help with this. We have an Olivetti MF654 (Konica C658), that we think has an issue with the dual scan document feeder.

So the background is that the machine basically keeps thinking there is an "original left on glass" when you try to load the document feeder. In rare instances it would also mis-detect A4 on the glass as A3.

**When the document feeder is adjusted to sit nice and flush and square to all corners, it doesn't make wonderful contact with the angle sensor and we thought this might have been the cause of the issue. In order to get it to make proper contact, the front right corner does lift up a notable amount. See pic. I dont know if it is possible for an ADF to become skewed/warped over time!?

The next call we arrived on site armed with a DF704 and DF629 and this is were I am hoping you guys can help! From what I can gather, the C658 comes standard with a heavier version dual scan ADF - which I believe is DF703. As opposed to DF704 which is the dual scan ADF option for the slower machines (C258/308/368). The DF629 being the standard RADF for the slower machines.

When either DF704 or DF629 was fitted it seemed to rectify the "original left on glass" issue, but created another problem. Because the DF704 and DF629 don't scan as fast as the DF703, copies and scans where being stretched. Even after setting the ADF in service mode to "Single Sided Scan Tx." Since discovered this option isnt used on the C658/558/458.

My question is, is there a software switch/engine bit switch that will allow the proper use of these other, slower document feeders? Or would you have any other suggestions we could try?

Thanks

James
replace the main copy glass seen this a couple times bet there is a tiny scratch

emujo2
10-25-2022, 02:25 PM
I suggest you break out the SM and take a look at how this device detects original sizes on the glass..There is an angle sensor that is supposed to stop looking for originals after a certain number of degrees to prevent the ADF from being detected as a sheet of 11 X 17 paper when lowered. Document width and size on the glass are determined by photo sensors and the CCD. You need to verify the ADF closing sensor is detecting at the correct angle, then you need to verify your size detection sensors are working properly. The CCD is probably more of a guess if it's bad. In many cases you will not get any other indication that the CCD has a partial blind spot. Be sure to run your non image erase in a dark room to rule out excessive light causing the issue. Putting a new ADF seems like a waste of time in this case. E

techsxge
10-25-2022, 02:35 PM
Putting a new ADF seems like a waste of time in this case. E
It is quite literally a waste of time if they other ones are slower ;)

I agree with what you said though.

tsbservice
10-25-2022, 06:57 PM
Hi guys

Thanks

James

I hear you James but from your picture this DF just doesn't seem to sit right. Front left corner is too high.
Can you test it with some duct tape shading the gaps between DF and scanner bed?

tech51
10-25-2022, 07:59 PM
If you can’t get it to sit flat and actuate the detect arm correctly then I would look at the hinges. I would suspect at least one of them is bent or otherwise damaged.

Markks
10-26-2022, 02:01 AM
Hi guys

Thanks

James

If I'm not mistaken there is reed switch on the front right of the machine and a magnet on the adf that activates the the reed switch. it would be where the adf is not sitting down in the picture. looks like adf is warped or way out of adjustment.

larweedad
10-26-2022, 02:33 PM
I agree with Markks. I had it twice. had to readjust the doc feed. There is a reed switch and magnet and your picture shows that area to high to activate the reed switch.

Oystercopy
01-29-2024, 06:06 PM
If you can’t get it to sit flat and actuate the detect arm correctly then I would look at the hinges. I would suspect at least one of them is bent or otherwise damaged.

The feeder has adjustment screws on the rear (easily adjustable with all the covers on) that will lift or lower the feeder to the glass. I do it all the time. You will see that the feeder will lift and drop when you turn these. They are vertical to the feeder and are on each hinge point.
OC

Tech09
01-31-2024, 08:50 PM
Open up your ADF all the way and check the screws on the metal frame/hinge mounts, these can loosen and cause your ADF to not sit properly. We have had to replace the base frame of the ADF a few times because of these screws loosening enough that the screw holes strip out.

Custom Search