PDA

View Full Version : DF-714 "Jams" with False Multifeed Message, Then C8402

Custom Search

femaster
11-08-2022, 04:24 PM
We've had 3 recent i-model machines with the same issue out of about 30 or so. When you run a copy or scan through the DF-714 ADF, the machine "jams" with a multifeed detected message, even when fed a single sheet of paper. There is no multifeed at all, just a single sheet of paper that stops just before the registration rollers in the ADF. If you clear the "jam" and reinsert the paper to try again, the second you hit the start button it's an instant internal error and the machine reboots. Checking service code history indicates a C8402 error. Paper passage test in service mode runs fine.

The most recent model this crept up on is a 360i. I don't recall what the other 2 were now as they were a few months back. The first 2 we came across were already out in the field and had been working for a month or more before the problem occurred. One of our techs attempted to calibrate the the sensor on one of the machines, but that didn't make a difference. I now know that the calibration attempt probably made things worse, as according to the service manual you need special sheets of paper that are only shipped with a new sensor purchase. To resolve the issue, we have just been changing the setting for the sensor in service mode to Unset. Machines work fine after that.

I'm nearly positive that all 3 of these were on ADFs that were shipped separate from the main body they were attached to, as in, not attached at the factory. According to the DF-714 installation manual there is no calibration needed for the sensor when installing the ADF onto the main body. All that is needed is to change the setting for the sensor to "Set" in service mode. Could it be that we've actually had 3 defective (or mis-calibrated) sensors from the factory?

I'm just curious if anybody else has come across this?

Markks
11-09-2022, 12:43 AM
We've had 3 recent i-model machines with the same issue out of about 30 or so. When you run a copy or scan through the DF-714 ADF, the machine "jams" with a multifeed detected message, even when fed a single sheet of paper. There is no multifeed at all, just a single sheet of paper that stops just before the registration rollers in the ADF. If you clear the "jam" and reinsert the paper to try again, the second you hit the start button it's an instant internal error and the machine reboots. Checking service code history indicates a C8402 error. Paper passage test in service mode runs fine.

The most recent model this crept up on is a 360i. I don't recall what the other 2 were now as they were a few months back. The first 2 we came across were already out in the field and had been working for a month or more before the problem occurred. One of our techs attempted to calibrate the the sensor on one of the machines, but that didn't make a difference. I now know that the calibration attempt probably made things worse, as according to the service manual you need special sheets of paper that are only shipped with a new sensor purchase. To resolve the issue, we have just been changing the setting for the sensor in service mode to Unset. Machines work fine after that.

I'm nearly positive that all 3 of these were on ADFs that were shipped separate from the main body they were attached to, as in, not attached at the factory. According to the DF-714 installation manual there is no calibration needed for the sensor when installing the ADF onto the main body. All that is needed is to change the setting for the sensor to "Set" in service mode. Could it be that we've actually had 3 defective (or mis-calibrated) sensors from the factory?

I'm just curious if anybody else has come across this?

We have we just unset the multifeed detect sensor.

femaster
11-09-2022, 01:53 AM
We have we just unset the multifeed detect sensor.

Yes, that is what we have been doing also.

There is no way to actually calibrate the sensor without the proper sheets of "special" paper, and you can't purchase them separately as far as I can tell.

tsbservice
11-09-2022, 03:43 PM
Try this:
AAMNPJ0100 Adjustment chart(ultrasonic sensor)
And with charts do Multi-Feed detection adjustment.

Note: I never tested it :)

Good luck

KMFLT3CH
12-20-2022, 09:00 PM
Don't mean to bump this up again but I came across this exact issue yesterday on a C360i, the problem showed up two days after installation.

I unset the multi-feed sensor in service mode > system 2 to get them up and running.

Then I did some digging and realized KM released special firmware in November for this exact problem:

followed by new base firmware this month for the same problem as well: G00-N5

I updated to N5 from N4 and re-enabled the sensor, will chime back if the problem returns.

B0265
12-22-2022, 07:45 AM
The sensor have also been modified.

femaster
12-22-2022, 04:54 PM
I just saw the bulletin on this yesterday and I was going to put up a post about it. I see that other's have beat me to it. Glad they finally got a solution for it. Will be implementing this soon and see if it actually fixes the issue on those machines that don't have the "new" board installed with the resistor changes to prevent the noise in the circuit.

blackcat4866
12-22-2022, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the information. =^..^=

Custom Search