PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Cause & Solution: Menu Blinking / Flashing and C-CC00 Error in xx4 and xx4e Models

Custom Search

femaster
11-29-2022, 06:07 PM
This will probably get a bit wordy, but I hope that I can properly convey the situation so other's can understand it.

I've figured out a cause and a solution to the rarely seen, but troublesome when it happens, flashing / blinking Menu buttons and subsequent C-CC00 error code that pops up on the 4- and 4e-series of copiers. While this has been the cause of the issue for us, it may not be the only thing that causes the issue to happen. The problem can easily be reproduced and fixed without having to resort to the only real known fix up to this point; the infamous CLEAR ALL DATA in service mode.

After having this happen to us many times, the last straw was when we attempted to install a perfectly working C454e loaner machine at a customer's site. After transferring the address book data over to the loaner copier, the Menu items started flashing and the machine would constantly code out with the C-CC00 error. One of the key points here is the address book transfer.

Just a bit of background info, we set up a number of Menu shortcuts for our customers. One of these menu shortcuts is a Scan Program button, and this is another key point to the problem.

55692 55693 55696 55695

It seems that for some reason, Konica stores the scan/fax programs in the same file / location as the address book data. If something happens to the address book data via a bulk process, like clearing the address data in service mode or importing the address book from another machine for example, it clears the Scan/fax programs. Adding and/or deleting individual entries doesn't affect the scan/fax programs so never creates an issue. It only occurs during some sort of bulk operation that changes the address book data as a whole. This removal of the Scan/Fax program(s) is where the trouble begins.

If there is a scan program button programmed into the main menu, and that scan program no longer exists, a bug in the firmware creates an unending loop that continuously attempts to load that scan program information for that button. Since it no longer exists, it receives NULL information and doesn't know what to do with it because the software was never properly programmed to deal with that type of information. The copier just keeps attempting to load the data for the button until eventually something breaks. Not sure exactly what breaks, but perhaps a buffer overflow, runs out of memory, etc., and leads to the service code.

Through experimenting, I've determined that just deleting the scan/fax program manually doesn't cause the problem to occur, as the copier is smart enough to disable that menu button when you delete the program. It only occurs when deleted through some bulk operation that the copier fails to remove the programmed button that now references a non-existent program. As can be seen in the following image, the button on the Menu screen is still programmed, but it now contains a blank name because the actual program it refers to no longer exists.

So, how do we resolve the flashing screen without resorting to CLEAR ALL DATA? Easy actually. If you quickly tap on the location where the buttons are on the flashing menu screen, you will eventually get into the desired area, be it copy, scan, utility, etc. You must do it quickly though, as you need get into one of the functions prior to the copier crashing and popping up the service code. Provided you stay off the menu screen, the copier will continue to function indefinitely. It's only when on the menu screen does the looping problem occur that results in the eventual crash and service code.

From here, you have 2 options:
1) Go into utility and turn OFF the programmed menu button(s) that show blank name(s), exit and all will be good.
2) Go into scan/fax and recreate the program button(s) that were deleted, being sure to program them into the same locations that were previously programmed, and that the menu button(s) refer to.

Anybody wants to test this out can simply create a scan program button, map that program to a button on the menu screen, and then verify that the button is present in the menu screen. Once verified, jump into service mode and delete the address data, reboot when prompted, and once the machines back up fully, your menu buttons will be flashing. My advice, don't do this on a machine that is currently in use, try it out on a spare and/or parts machine until you fully understand what is going on.

blackcat4866
11-29-2022, 06:33 PM
That's a great find ... thanks for that. =^..^=

adecanmin
11-30-2022, 01:25 AM
Thank you

EarthKmTech
11-30-2022, 02:58 AM
How ridiculous that it's even possible for this to happen, but interesting none the less. Cheers

Hansoon
11-30-2022, 04:27 AM
Very interesting and thank you very much for the time you took to let us know.

Hans

techsxge
11-30-2022, 08:43 AM
I cant reproduce this on 4 machines i tested but on one i can. Makes me think there is something else wrong.

femaster
11-30-2022, 03:48 PM
I cant reproduce this on 4 machines i tested but on one i can. Makes me think there is something else wrong.

I wonder if it also depends on firmware version. I've reproduced it on every machine I've tried it on, 4 total so far. All of those machines have the latest firmware. Are the ones that you can't reproduce it on on an older version of firmware? Maybe they introduced the bug accidentally in newer versions.

I've also tried doing this on newer model machines. While the blank named menu button remains programmed in the admin settings, the button does not show up in the menu and the issue with everything blinking does not occur. The newer models I've tried it on were a 287, C458, and a C360i.

techsxge
11-30-2022, 03:56 PM
I wonder if it also depends on firmware version. I've reproduced it on every machine I've tried it on, 4 total so far. All of those machines have the latest firmware. Are the ones that you can't reproduce it on on an older version of firmware? Maybe they introduced the bug accidentally in newer versions.

I've also tried doing this on newer model machines. While the blank named menu button remains programmed in the admin settings, the button does not show up in the menu and the issue with everything blinking does not occur. The newer models I've tried it on were a 287, C458, and a C360i.
All c458, all newest firmware.
I have different i-Options installed though. I might remove them all for testing this.

femaster
11-30-2022, 07:29 PM
All c458, all newest firmware.
I have different i-Options installed though. I might remove them all for testing this.

That might be the factor there. So far it seems to happen only with the 4 and 4e models. The newer lines seem to have corrected whatever bug there was.

But I guess I have to ask. You did state that you were able to recreate the issue with one of your machines, was that also a C458? If so, then that is an interesting find, as I haven't been able to recreate the problem on any machines newer than 4e, though I haven't done a lot of testing with newer machines.

techsxge
12-01-2022, 07:34 AM
That might be the factor there. So far it seems to happen only with the 4 and 4e models. The newer lines seem to have corrected whatever bug there was.

But I guess I have to ask. You did state that you were able to recreate the issue with one of your machines, was that also a C458? If so, then that is an interesting find, as I haven't been able to recreate the problem on any machines newer than 4e, though I haven't done a lot of testing with newer machines.
That was a oopsie doopsie on my end :D
It was all c454 indeed. In Olivetti "Translation" a c454 is a 458.

B0265
12-01-2022, 07:44 AM
A fellow tech that had this problem on a C454e found that any FW after GDB-M1 would trigger this on his machine.
KM Support said is was caused by the SSDB, I'm not sure if he replaced the board or only downgraded the fw.

Custom Search