PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C550 problem changing default settings

Custom Search

Office_Tech_B*tch
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
First, a few disclaimers:
1) I am not a "trained" copier tech, however I've worked in tech support for years and have experience with a variety of copiers, multifunction machines, computers, networks, etc. etc. etc.
2) I work in an office of Neo-luddites. Really, they should all be riding a yellow short-bus to some basic computer skills class they should've all taken LONG ago. Hence, this leaves me to be the default person responsible for trouble-shooting and fixing all objects that have buttons and require electricity. :(
3) I found this site, and it was a HUGE help to me when I was assigned the task of researching (over a weekend!!) two competing models of multifunction copiers, to determine which model my boss would purchase. So THANK YOU for the info I was able to find in the various forums here. :D

Now the question (with some back story):

We now have a Konica Minolta Bizhub C550. It's an understatement to say that it's an immense improvement over the decrepid, shameful excuse for a multi-function anything SHARP AR-M350N (yes, really) we had before.

I need to set the default for the Fax/Scan - "Original Type", to Text. We're an auditing firm and 95% of what our staff will be faxing, copying and scanning will be printed text. The "boss" has deemed it "too much of a hassle" and "too hard to remember" to simply press the button to set the "original type" to Text when she wants to scan a file. :rolleyes:
This has now resulted in scanned PDFs with file sizes that are up to 995% larger (no joke!!) than they would normally be if the "Original Type" were set to text. Then she wonders why suddenly she can't email said PDF to the client...and comes to me and says "Can you fix this file? I don't know WHAT the problem is, but I can't seem to email it now. Blah, blah, blah." My initial response was to show her how to simply use the "Optimize Scanned PDF" menu option in Adobe Acrobat, but that, of course, is too complicated. :rolleyes:

And yes, (with perhaps 2 exceptions) every person in my office, regardless of title or gender, are equally resistant or just plain...dumb. :mad:

So...I've been through the user manual, install guide, and every book, CD, and pdf given to us with the C550. I have all the passwords I need. However, I can not seem to set the default to text. In fact, when going through the Utility screen --> Administrator settings, I can't even seem to find such an option. Going through the Utility --> User Settings, the "Fax/Scan Settings" button is entirely grey-ed and can not be selected. :o :confused:
Yesterday we left messages for our copier tech, and the trainer who showed up for half a morning to "educate" us on the C550. Being that neither of our service team have returned our calls, I was thinking/hoping that the geniuses on this site would be able to perhaps give me some help sooner than we'll ever hear back from them. ;)

Any assistance would be MUCH appreciated. And I do apologize for invading your "copier tech only" space...but I will really lose my mind if I have to optimize every scan these people make. :eek:

Help me please :o

buster68
01-30-2009, 07:53 PM
I think I can help ya.

First off, hit the fax/scan key then press the scan setting icon. Make your selections for Original type, file type, resolution etc etc...that you would like to be the default.

While still in the screen, press the Utility key, select #2 User Setting,
select #4 Fax/Scan Settings, select Default Scan/Fax Settings. Highlight the icon that says Current Setting and press ok.

If you are using Account Track or Authentication on the machine, you may have to do this for each account (not 100% sure on that).

You can set your copy defaults, basically, the same way. Just select Copier Settings instead of Fax/Scan in the utility menu.

I hope this helps.

harry2007
01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
-first- select scan/fax then select in scan settings all as you wish to be ''as default''.
-second- utility/counter-user's setting-scan/fax setting, default setting.... somewhere you'll be find factory default and current setting----select current setting.

Office_Tech_B*tch
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Just returned from lunch to find these responses. Buster68: today you are my hero! I followed the steps you outlined and it worked perfectly. :D

We still haven't heard back from our "official" service people, so thank you Buster68 & harry2007 for your speedy responses; you guys rock. :)

Much appreciated!!!

-(the under appreciated) Office_Tech_B*tch ;)

lucky13
01-30-2009, 11:16 PM
this setting along with setting to 200 dpi and gray scale in the scanner settings will cut your Mb size by 3/4

hdmr
01-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Hi I was wondering it its possible to expand on this thread.

I am looking to set a default for a scan to folder location - therefore the settings only relate to this one location they are not the overall defaults.

Is this possible?

emujo
01-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Although the "default" scan folder cannot be set, you can create as many SMB one touches as needed. These can be desktop or network share. FTP services can also be configured for the same "scan too". As far as the default scan settings in the previous posts, my standard is PDF compact. This will reduce the file size by about 90%. The "compacting" is done mostly on background, so there is very little "loss" when the PDF is opened. EMujo

ThisPete
01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi I was wondering it its possible to expand on this thread.

I am looking to set a default for a scan to folder location - therefore the settings only relate to this one location they are not the overall defaults.

Is this possible?

Hi hdmr, if I understand you correctly, rather than enter the scanning details via the 'Address Book' button in the 'Store Address' tab, use the 'Program' button.
That way you can attribute different scan settings for each 'address'.

This is assuming you are using a web browser and network address of the copier to input details. (Far easier.)

Can't remember the procedure when using the touch screen...

Let us know.

Pete

Custom Search