PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 423 - Selected HDD 'Not Installed' - Can't Select 'Installed' again.

Custom Search

Fritzy
12-06-2022, 12:40 AM
I inadvertently selected [Service Mode -> System2 -> HDD -> Not Installed] on a Bizhub 423 that had a hard drive installed. I immediately attempted to select 'Installed', but I just get a single beep and the option does not change back to Installed. It is stuck on 'Not Installed'.
Now when I restart the machine I get an message 'Format SSD' and when I go into the Administrator menu I'm immediately prompted to 'Format HDD' or 'Reset Encryption Passphrase'. Photos of the screens attached.

Based on what I read in the forums I think I'm going to have to reformat the HDD. I just wanted to check here to see if perhaps there was some way I could avoid that, or any issues I should be aware of before moving forward with the format.

Thanks!

copyman
12-06-2022, 02:09 AM
I inadvertently selected [Service Mode -> System2 -> HDD -> Not Installed] on a Bizhub 423 that had a hard drive installed. I immediately attempted to select 'Installed', but I just get a single beep and the option does not change back to Installed. It is stuck on 'Not Installed'.
Now when I restart the machine I get an message 'Format SSD' and when I go into the Administrator menu I'm immediately prompted to 'Format HDD' or 'Reset Encryption Passphrase'. Photos of the screens attached.

Based on what I read in the forums I think I'm going to have to reformat the HDD. I just wanted to check here to see if perhaps there was some way I could avoid that, or any issues I should be aware of before moving forward with the format.

Thanks!

try formatting with the quicker "logical" format. If that don't work do the "physical" format which can take several hours.

rrrohan
12-06-2022, 02:40 AM
did you try to set it to installed after you rebooted the copier?

there can be a pretty long delay after pressing INSTALLED before it changes.

Because if it is still set to NOT INSTALLED whats it going to format?

copyman
12-06-2022, 02:52 AM
I read the original post quickly and thought it showed HDD installed. The last poster is correct and if HDD "not installed" format HDD tab will not show under state confirmation in service mode.
Perhaps the HDD is bad. Do you have another HDD to try?

Fritzy
12-06-2022, 04:11 AM
Thanks for taking time to help me out.

The hard drive is physically installed (it was never removed) and I don't have any reason to think the HDD is bad. Everything was fine until I pressed the wrong button.;) The only change I made was by selecting 'Not Installed'. While still in the same HDD menu, I tried to select 'Installed', but it would not change back to Installed. I've tried it many times, before and after rebooting, and waited a while, but it never changes back to Installed. I've waited at least 30 minutes on the same screen with no change.

I tried rebooting (several times). When the system boots I receive the 'Reformat the SSD' message. I then select [Utility/Counter->Administrator Settings] and enter the password, I'm immediately presented with the 'HDD Encryption Setting' menu with the 'HDD Format' and 'Reset Encryption Passphrase' options as shown in the photo. I'm unable to select any other Administrator settings menu items.

I'm not sure why it prompts me to reformat the SSD after bootup and then when I go into the Administrator Settings it presents me with a menu option for 'HDD Format'. That does seem strange. Copyman, as you suggested, the State Confirmation screens only seem to see the SSD (see attachments).

Unless you think it's a bad idea, I'm going to go ahead and select that 'HDD Format' option in the Administrator Settings menu and take it from there.

Fritzy
12-06-2022, 04:20 AM
I also have another hard drive, so I may try that first.

femaster
12-06-2022, 04:24 AM
Try going into service mode through the Trouble Reset screen. This should help to bypass some of junk that boots up under a normal boot. Once inside, see if you can then set the HDD to installed.

Fritzy
12-06-2022, 05:00 AM
Try going into service mode through the Trouble Reset screen. This should help to bypass some of junk that boots up under a normal boot. Once inside, see if you can then set the HDD to installed.

It Took me a minute to track down the password, but I eventually got into Service Mode from Trouble Reset. Same result at the HDD screen. I still can't select 'Installed'.

I'm going to try installing a fresh HDD and format it.

Fritzy
12-06-2022, 05:37 AM
Good News! I have it working again with the original HDD (I did not have to format!). Thank you all for the speedy responses to my post.

Here is what I did:

Installed a new temporary HDD.
Booted the system and received the 'Reformat the SSD' message.
Entered Administrator Settings and selected the Format HDD option and completed the formatting.
Rebooted the system - it started without errors.
Went into [Service Mode -> System2 -> HDD] and noticed the HDD still showed 'Not Installed'. I pressed the 'Installed' button and after about 5 seconds, 'Installed' was shown as selected. ;)
Powered down the system.
Installed the original HDD and powered on.
The system started without errors. Great result!

Custom Search