PDA

View Full Version : C554e SSD and firmware upgrade, slow as molasses.

Custom Search

jcpearce2005
12-13-2022, 08:17 PM
New to this forum so I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question.

The C554e has become excessively slow, it is at the limit of the account track setting (950 accounts). I do not know if that is the issue or something else. The firmware has never been updated since its purchase in 2017. If anyone has any insight on why it might be so slow, I would appreciate any feedback.

I can afford to lose all the settings so I was thinking of getting new firmware (where?), installing that, then doing a complete reset, and perhaps installing an SSD as opposed to the hard drive.

Any tips and tricks appreciated.

tulintron
12-13-2022, 08:54 PM
New to this forum so I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question.

The C554e has become excessively slow, it is at the limit of the account track setting (950 accounts). I do not know if that is the issue or something else. The firmware has never been updated since its purchase in 2017. If anyone has any insight on why it might be so slow, I would appreciate any feedback.

I can afford to lose all the settings so I was thinking of getting new firmware (where?), installing that, then doing a complete reset, and perhaps installing an SSD as opposed to the hard drive.

Any tips and tricks appreciated.Slow when?

When does it print? When does it start? When do you scan?

If you do a full reset, you can throw your entire configuration away.

screwdriverassy
12-14-2022, 09:03 AM
You can backup the authentication and account settings, scanner address list, and general configuration. And maybe can't import it back after a firmware upgrade. You'll need the latest firmware, "Movie data", maybe important intermediate firmware, additional data (OCR, Voice guide data etc.), and specialized training for that update.

I have no experience nor info about replace an HDD with an SDD, but you'll need a drive capacity equal or bigger than the HDD.

If it's slow at printing try this before making all of that:

This problem occurs because Graphics Device Interface (GDI) does not compress raster data when the GDI processes EMF spool files and generates EMF spool files.

This problem is very prominent with printers that support higher resolutions. The size of the raster data increases by four times if the dots-per-inch (dpi) in the file increases by two times. For example, a .pdf file of 1 megabyte (MB) may generate an EMF spool file of 500 MB. Therefore, you may notice that the printing process decreases in performance.

With higher resolution cameras, this means higher resolution photos, which means bigger files, and longer wait times. Also the print speeds are only based on 5% toner coverage per page. Memory upgrade, and gigabit nic card may help but i'm uncertain. It also very well could be a bad network switch as i had a similar issue and that was the issue.

Before swapping any hardware try this.

To bypass EMF spooling, follow these steps:

Open the properties dialog box for the printer.
Click the Advanced tab.
Click the Print directly to the printer option.

Give it a shot and let us know if this helps at all.

Best of luck!

jcpearce2005
12-14-2022, 02:58 PM
Slow when?

When does it print? When does it start? When do you scan?

If you do a full reset, you can throw your entire configuration away.

Thanks ScrewDriver and Tulintron for taking the time to respond.

The web interface locally or remotely is so slow it is almost unusable. It takes more than ten seconds to navigate between pages and it cannot download a copy count report for all 950 accounts without timing out. Which means it is not very useful to me, hence why I am willing to risk resetting/losing all data etc..

Another possible clue for you all in the know is this has been slowly been getting worse and now Windows machines report it is 'offline' (I assume due to a slow acknowledgement on port 9100, but I don't know) Mac users using LPD have no problems.

Thanks

emujo2
12-14-2022, 05:41 PM
Number of account track users should have nothing to do with it..Be sure Windows has not taken over the port settings, and you are not printing through Edge. You may also want to look at the NIC config speed. Be sure it matches what the switch should be. Copy a suspect file to a thumb drive and print it out via the USB print option..Does the print speed seem the same? E

tech51
12-14-2022, 08:45 PM
Number of account track users should have nothing to do with it..Be sure Windows has not taken over the port settings, and you are not printing through Edge. You may also want to look at the NIC config speed. Be sure it matches what the switch should be. Copy a suspect file to a thumb drive and print it out via the USB print option..Does the print speed seem the same? E
Everything Emujo said plus try connecting a laptop directly to the machine using the Ethernet port and see what happens. If it’s ok using a laptop, you have a network issue as Emujo suggests.

Also having re read your original post. You state you are printing using port 9100 but Mac users on LPD are ok? If that’s the case, why don’t you switch your windows machine to print via an LPR port? I’ve always set up machines using LPR ports and haven’t had any issues with it. The queue name should be “print” by the way.

copier tech
12-14-2022, 09:08 PM

Any tips and tricks appreciated.

If you find the device slow to navigate, for example switching between the copy & scan screens etc then it could be your HDD failing.

While it is working & as you have a lot of account track users back these up now while you can.

Its is simple to swap the HDD see if that makes a difference.

If its slow printing check the driver port is set to IP not WSD.

Feel free to contact me at either website below we can provide you with the latest firmware this may help.

jcpearce2005
12-14-2022, 09:53 PM
If you find the device slow to navigate, for example switching between the copy & scan screens etc then it could be your HDD failing.

While it is working & as you have a lot of account track users back these up now while you can.

Its is simple to swap the HDD see if that makes a difference.

If its slow printing check the driver port is set to IP not WSD.

Feel free to contact me at either website below we can provide you with the latest firmware this may help.

Thank you very much for everyone's response.

The printing does not seem to be slow from Mac but windows machines report that it is offline. It is singable and reachable, I am a software guy not a hardware guy, and I guess I could trace all the network packets and see what is happening but I do not feel like reading up on the protocol, etc.. given that their are multiple symptoms like the really, really slow page loads.

From the advice given, I have backed up everything and my plan of attack is:

Replace the HD with an SSD, looks straightforward
Update to the latest firmware

Out of curiosity what does bizhub run on, a thin linux kernel, something small and home grown? I don't suppose there is low level shell access, where I could see what processes are running, native logging, etc..?

BTW the reason myself, the end user, is doing this is I had/have a local company that has been handling our Konica's for around a decade, the guy I used to deal with has left and there is some re-org happening, perhaps it was sold. I have been asking them to troubleshoot this for a while and they either can't or won't. They keep pressing Hard for me to buy a new C550i for $21K and swear my life will be all flowers and light. It will print almost telegraphically, my customers will love it more than their kids etc..

It rather irks me , as my tone probably lets on. I figured there had to be some people on the net with experience in these things, and voila, ran across you folk.

Thanks again for the input I have received so far. I'll post what happens when I get back to D.C.

Cheers,
JP

Synthohol
12-15-2022, 02:07 AM
If konica does not offer a solid state drive for that model why waste money on one?
Never understood that. What really is the benefit?

copier tech
12-15-2022, 08:17 AM

The printing does not seem to be slow from Mac but windows machines report that it is offline. It is singable and reachable, I am a software guy not a hardware guy, and I guess I could trace all the network packets and see what is happening but I do not feel like reading up on the protocol, etc.. given that their are multiple symptoms like the really, really slow page loads.

Out of curiosity what does bizhub run on, a thin linux kernel, something small and home grown? I don't suppose there is low level shell access, where I could see what processes are running, native logging, etc..?

BTW the reason myself, the end user, is doing this is I had/have a local company that has been handling our Konica's for around a decade, the guy I used to deal with has left and there is some re-org happening, perhaps it was sold. I have been asking them to troubleshoot this for a while and they either can't or won't. They keep pressing Hard for me to buy a new C550i for $21K and swear my life will be all flowers and light. It will print almost telegraphically, my customers will love it more than their kids etc..

It rather irks me , as my tone probably lets on. I figured there had to be some people on the net with experience in these things, and voila, ran across you folk.

Thanks again for the input I have received so far. I'll post what happens when I get back to D.C.

Cheers,
JP

Sounds like a plan. No real benefit in swapping the HDD for a SSD but if you have one to hand no harm in trying. (The device will not utilize larger than 320GB)

Try accessing the device webpage from your laptop connected directly, rule out network issues.

If you need the firmware drop me an email from either site below.

Good luck.

screwdriverassy
12-15-2022, 10:36 AM
Webinterface going slow and some PCs "losing" the connection sounds familiar to me. Try the "only laptop-machine net". If it works fine look for a problem in the network. For example, if the machine it's connected to a SOHO switch or similar "try to turning off and on again that device".

Good luck.

tulintron
12-15-2022, 03:04 PM

Cheers,
JPNot to underestimate your networking savvy, but it seems to be the culprit.

On the printer, only HDD backup and replacement.

Custom Search