PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Is there a finite lifespan?

Custom Search

jcpearce2005
12-15-2022, 12:06 AM
One of the Konica's I have a C554e with 880k copies on it has done great until recently, the company handling the service contract is pushing hard for me to purchase a new C550I (of course). My customers do not need any new features that may be in the C550I, my question is; how far can this thing go? I have not reviewed the service contract in detail so I am unfamiliar if there are clauses like (in automobile terms) "The engine is seized, we don't cover that and it will cost more for a rebuild than a new one" etc..

Another way to phrase the question might be, almost anything can be extended nearly forever with enough resources. I see pristine 67 Mustangs here in Florida all the time. But will my service contract start getting exponentially more expensive after a million copies , 10 million etc..?

Cheers
JP

copier addict
12-15-2022, 01:16 AM
What's going to get you is the availability of parts. I don't mean consumables like toner and drums. I mean parts that break or wear over time. This series of machines is already on the manufacturer's obsolete list. That means they are no longer making spare parts for it. In the near future it likely won't affect you, but over time those parts will become harder, If not impossible, to get

SalesServiceGuy
12-15-2022, 01:18 AM
... your current service provider can give you 30 days notice and cancel the service contract after the original service contract has expired. They might offer a time and materials service arrangement or just walk away.

Your copier is probably no longer profitable for them to maintain and like all copier manufacturers seven years after a copier is discontinued the manufacturer no longer inventories parts nor supplies.

blackcat4866
12-15-2022, 02:17 AM
Most successful copier dealerships incorporate incremental increases in the service contract cost to cover the increasing costs of maintaining any machine.

Copiers are a little different than automobiles, you must rely primarily on the OEM manufacturer to supply certain parts. Consumables can be found elsewhere, but when you need anything else, you must go the manufacturer.

The typical finite lifespan of an office machine is 7-10yrs. The manufacturer will continue to sell the parts that they have on the shelf after that time until they are gone. Then they're gone.

Which end of that 7-10 years will your machine be? It's about popularity. Machines that sold many, will be supported longer. Machines that were a dud, sold few, will be abandoned sooner.

If I can use your automotive reference, in the copier world there are no '64 Mustangs. Nobody will spent 10 times the original cost to restore an obsolete device. =^..^=

copyman
12-15-2022, 04:26 AM
End of life for the C554e is 3/2024 so it will be supported by Konica Minolta until then (see attached). What has been the history of the machine? How many service calls a year, etc? If like most of the "4" series I service you've had very little service and your service company has made a lot of money! If machine is working and has worked fine tell the company servicing it that you will keep it until no longer supported by Kon/Min (show them attached). And if they want to much for contract tell them to bring machine up to spec so no consumables are 0% and you will use them on a per call basis or find another service company.

To use automobile comparison 800k pages on a copier is not like 800k miles with a car. Some of my customers have C554e's that have well over 1 million page counts. And personally I think the "4" series is better than the C550i new crap they are selling!

Best of luck

Custom Search