PDA

View Full Version : External Key Counter issue with counting P_rints

Custom Search

Gift
01-04-2023, 02:05 PM
Hi there,

one of our customers got a C754e - it's a copy shop that uses external counters for monitoring. We bridged the "counter set" pins and hooked up the counter to the other pins on the key counter interface cable and set up "key counter" in billing settings / service menu. It works fine in copy mode and count like it should - it also blocks the copy window if we pull the "counter set" bridge.

Unfortunately it does not work in print mode - is there any way to add print function to the "key counter" restriction so prints leads to clicks on the key counter.

I noticed that I can't do any authentification settings in admin menu once I enable "key counter" in billing setting. Documentation also didn't gave me the right hints so I hope someone here might have more experience in this than me and push me in the right direction.

thx

emujo2
01-04-2023, 05:34 PM
The mechanical key counter is only designed to stop/count copies..You can unplug the key counter and print to your hearts content. Plugging in the key counter enables the copy features (fax/copy/scan) it does not bypass or control any info coming in over the network lines. You could setup user authentication, allow public user to copy only, restrict printing with a code. E

Gift
01-05-2023, 07:07 AM
The mechanical key counter is only designed to stop/count copies..You can unplug the key counter and print to your hearts content. Plugging in the key counter enables the copy features (fax/copy/scan) it does not bypass or control any info coming in over the network lines. You could setup user authentication, allow public user to copy only, restrict printing with a code. E

OK thanks, that's not cool - according to the owner it worked with the returner C224e wich I have not back from the logistics company to do some "reverse engineering". I'll checked the wiring diagram and found a connector for a total counter wich is not used in my marketing region, though - perhaps there's still an impulse on it I can tap. The owner has the counter lined up at the register and people can print/copy by themself. It's a very basic set up I know.

Looking forward to check the returner, I'll let you know my findings.

Gift
01-05-2023, 03:37 PM
I fiddled around with another machine of that series I have in my shop and actually you can hook up the counter on the printer control board according to the wiring diagram "total counter".
I did it the "quick and dirty" way and cut the correspondending two wires that are part of a 20 wires harness. If you undo this modification you must reconnect the original wires or add an 10kOhm resistor otherwise the machine won't work.

emujo2
01-05-2023, 03:49 PM
I'm happy that you were able to Nuk this out, but this would not be an acceptable modification for any device that has a maint contract on it. E

ayeright
01-05-2023, 07:46 PM
A long (long) time ago we used to splice into the fuser exit sensor and use that as a trigger for basic copy and print external counters. You already have a remote enable/disable in place so might solve your problem so long as your manager is ok with it.

Hansoon
01-06-2023, 05:25 AM
I'm happy that you were able to Nuk this out, but this would not be an acceptable modification for any device that has a maint contract on it. E

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but a question out of curiosity: Why would this be unacceptable?

Hans

Gift
01-06-2023, 07:33 AM
I am my manager so I'm OK with it and I will drive out there myself to mod the machine today so if something happens I can't blame any of my techs :D

It's a longtime customer and this issue was on us because we told him he can keep using his counters. I also don't understand why this is a problem with the contract. I know there's a risk for a shortage if the wires got damaged ot something else happens but I know the situation on site and consider the wiring as safe. He also uses "digital" counters that pulls way less wattage from the PCB compared to the mechanical one.

A month without at least one McGyver moment is a boring one :o

Custom Search