PDA

View Full Version : Secure erasing storage board on C250i

Custom Search

Methmann
01-11-2023, 12:37 PM
Hello :-)

We have a second hand Konica Minolta C250i, where we are trying to secure erase/overwrite the Nvme board AA2JM72702.
We have a desktop PC with Active killdisk installed, which complies with the standard for secure deletion (DoD)

We have bought a Nvme adapter https://www.proshop.dk/Harddisk-tilbehoer/StarTechcom-USB-30-to-M2-SATA-External-SSD-Enclosure-with-UASP/2476387

We cannot get the PC to recognize the drive, it sees the adapter, but not the attached Nvme drive.

Is there something we dont know? Shouldn´t it behave like a normal drive as those used in PC´s??

Synthohol
01-11-2023, 01:07 PM
why wouldnt you format it while in the copier?
there is a procedure in the service manual to wipe the ssd.

Methmann
01-11-2023, 01:27 PM
why wouldnt you format it while in the copier?
there is a procedure in the service manual to wipe the ssd.

When we are wiping it using killdisk, we make sure, it is wiped according to the regulations for GDPR(General Data Protection Regulations), which is required here in Europe. Before we sell the machine to second hand. And active killdisk compiles a certificate for succesful wiping, which we need to provide to the old owner.

kingarthur
01-11-2023, 02:55 PM
When we are wiping it using killdisk, we make sure, it is wiped according to the regulations for GDPR(General Data Protection Regulations), which is required here in Europe. Before we sell the machine to second hand. And active killdisk compiles a certificate for succesful wiping, which we need to provide to the old owner.

If you "wipe" the "HDD" "storage" in the machine - it will provide you with a certificate once it's complete

emujo2
01-11-2023, 03:45 PM
- [Mode 1]: Overwrites with 0x00.
- [Mode 2]: Overwrites with single-byte random numbers - overwrites with single-byte random numbers
- overwrites with 0x00.
- [Mode 3]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with single-byte random numbers -
Verifies.
- [Mode 4]: Overwrites with single-byte random numbers - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff.
- [Mode 5]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff.
- [Mode 6]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with random numbers.
- [Mode 7]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0xaa.
- [Mode 8]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0xaa - Verifies.

You are claiming that the EU standard does not comply with any of these modes?? Additionally, if BH Secure has been enabled the drive is encrypted. This may be why you don't see it.

Let me add that the ability to perform a Mode1-mode 8 hdd erasure seems to have been removed from the i series..You have the choice of overwrite or overwrite with report, but I can't tell what level the overwrite is being performed at. E

tsbservice
01-11-2023, 06:23 PM
We used ORICO M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure but with limited results. You can see some partisions but could not figure how to format SSD successfully. But it was probably bad SSD from machine stuck at 25% bootup.

REGSIS
01-11-2023, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure if it applies on i series ssd, but generally for hdd 3, 4 & 8 series and SD cards on i-series you don't create any partitions. It should be empty i.e. all partitions deleted. Machine create all partition with format.
On i-series (C3320i) new or erased SD card is partitioned by folowing procedure FW update+recover data.

I didn't have a chance to try it with ssd but definetly would try to erase it and put back into machine first and if it's bad I would try with new one from store (empty) not from KM.

tsbservice
01-11-2023, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure if it applies on i series ssd, but generally for hdd 3, 4 & 8 series and SD cards on i-series you don't create any partitions. It should be empty i.e. all partitions deleted. Machine create all partition with format.
On i-series (C3320i) new or erased SD card is partitioned by folowing procedure FW update+recover data.

I didn't have a chance to try it with ssd but definetly would try to erase it and put back into machine first and if it's bad I would try with new one from store (empty) not from KM.

Good luck with that and let us know if you do it with aftermarket SSD.

femaster
01-12-2023, 12:07 AM

While we have yet to try with a store purchased drive, this is how we have used SSDs from other machines for the 7, 8, and 8e series machines. If you have the correct caddy to link it to a PC, you completely wipe out the partition table so there is literally nothing on the SSD. Install into the machine with a bad SSD, then boot straight into firmware from USB flash drive. Update and reboot. From there, the machine should eventually prompt you to recover data, and you should be back in business. I may be over-simplifying things a bit here, but that is the gist of it. We have not yet tried this on the i-series.

Backstory: We got an SSD drive replaced under warranty for an 8-series machine. Before we stuck it in the copier, our IT guy wanted to see what was so magic about the drives. He linked it up to a PC and it was literally a blank, un-initilized drive. After finding that out, we experimented on some parts copiers to discover the above procedure. We took an SSD out of a junk C287, wiped it, and fitted it in a junk C458 and it worked perfectly.

Methmann
01-12-2023, 08:08 AM
Thank you for your posts everyone :)

I have spoken to a good friend of mine, which have a contact in another company, which is dealing with second hand copymachines, and have the same challenge. And he got told, that they are using the built in overwrite and report print function. And that should comply to the regulations, so no need to get a headache, trying to connect the Nvme board to a pc, when this can do the job :)
He also told, the Nvme board, contains critical data for counter etc. Which may not be deleted, and could result in a non working Nvme, if we wiped it.

Gift
01-12-2023, 09:17 AM
Erasing SSD/nVME isn't easy to erase because due to the wear levelling technologie you can't really physically adress the memory cells if you perform it with a tool that is suppose to handle HDDs.
I'm not shure if the onboard option in the iSeries does it the proper way or re-uses the tool that was made for it's predecessors.

Methmann
01-17-2023, 02:28 PM
Do you know, where we choose the different modes? :)

- [Mode 1]: Overwrites with 0x00.
- [Mode 2]: Overwrites with single-byte random numbers - overwrites with single-byte random numbers
- overwrites with 0x00.
- [Mode 3]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with single-byte random numbers -
Verifies.
- [Mode 4]: Overwrites with single-byte random numbers - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff.
- [Mode 5]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff.
- [Mode 6]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with random numbers.
- [Mode 7]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0xaa.
- [Mode 8]: Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff -
Overwrites with 0x00 - Overwrites with 0xff - Overwrites with 0xaa - Verifies.

You are claiming that the EU standard does not comply with any of these modes?? Additionally, if BH Secure has been enabled the drive is encrypted. This may be why you don't see it.

Let me add that the ability to perform a Mode1-mode 8 hdd erasure seems to have been removed from the i series..You have the choice of overwrite or overwrite with report, but I can't tell what level the overwrite is being performed at. E

Mitch Barron
01-17-2023, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys, well today I have another i series machine with display freeze, so this is what I tried, I took the SDD card and formatted using the cmd metod to format, then formatted to ntfs and installed back in the 250i series machine and the miracle happened it works again with no problems till now, let me add when I installed the ssd card, I started the machine with firmware update, so I can say that formatting the card works, so is a good step before replacing SSD card.

tsbservice
01-17-2023, 05:26 PM
Hi Guys, well today I have another i series machine with display freeze, so this is what I tried, I took the SDD card and formatted using the cmd metod to format, then formatted to ntfs and installed back in the 250i series machine and the miracle happened it works again with no problems till now, let me add when I installed the ssd card, I started the machine with firmware update, so I can say that formatting the card works, so is a good step before replacing SSD card.

Interesting. Can you be more specific? Did you loose any info, machine serial, counters, consumables count?

and
01-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Interesting. Can you be more specific? Did you loose any info, machine serial, counters, consumables count?

I clean 4 ssd with windows diskpart. (clean command)
but at the moment 3 of 4 defeat again.

You can take (for emergency) a ssd from a new MFP use diskpart with clean command (remove all partition) and use without problem in a defected machine.
When you install firmware the MFP format the ssd, same case of @Mitch Barron (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/mitch-barron.html) a MFP i series not recognise NTFS partition and format the ssd.

You loose user configuration but no problem with machine serial, counters and consumables count.

and
01-18-2023, 07:36 AM
I write "new MFP" but you can also use ssd from working MFP.

I clean 4 ssd with windows diskpart. (clean command)
but at the moment 3 of 4 defeat again.

You can take (for emergency) a ssd from a new MFP use diskpart with clean command (remove all partition) and use without problem in a defected machine.
When you install firmware the MFP format the ssd, same case of @Mitch Barron (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/members/mitch-barron.html) a MFP i series not recognise NTFS partition and format the ssd.

You loose user configuration but no problem with machine serial, counters and consumables count.

Mitch Barron
01-18-2023, 07:40 AM

The only info I lost was the password for authentication, but book address when you import it works perfect, for the rest every was there nothing lost.

Mitch Barron
03-01-2023, 07:18 AM

I am only lost, book address, and smt settings. Machine serial number and consumables all stayed the same.

techsxge
03-01-2023, 08:45 AM
Just to fix any missinformation here:

ONLY Mode 8 comply with GDPR. Every other mode is (according to our law-makers) recoverable.

Mitch Barron
03-01-2023, 09:32 AM
Hello :-)

We have a second hand Konica Minolta C250i, where we are trying to secure erase/overwrite the Nvme board AA2JM72702.
We have a desktop PC with Active killdisk installed, which complies with the standard for secure deletion (DoD)

We have bought a Nvme adapter https://www.proshop.dk/Harddisk-tilbehoer/StarTechcom-USB-30-to-M2-SATA-External-SSD-Enclosure-with-UASP/2476387

We cannot get the PC to recognize the drive, it sees the adapter, but not the attached Nvme drive.

Is there something we dont know? Shouldn´t it behave like a normal drive as those used in PC´s??
You have to do it with command prompt if you dont see it with the GUI, then use Diskpart to format the sd

Custom Search