PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous HDD Replacement - Used c754e Machines

Custom Search

GrizzlyTPK
07-19-2023, 10:24 PM
Good afternoon! I am new to the website, but I wanted to reach out and pick some brains. I primarily work on KM production units but I have 4x c754e's coming my way free of charge. My plan is to turn 2 of them into my internal print units (invoices, letters, giveaway flyers, etc..). The problem is they all had the hard drives removed by the previous owner for secuirty concerns... I am not very well versed in walk up machines so any help is greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can turn these machines around and get them working? My goal is to give atleast 2 away to some local nonprofits or something here locally and I want them to be plug in ready by the time I give them out.

One of the codes that was sent to me was: C-FA14 - Other than that, I don't know much yet. I am receiving them on 8/4.

I have been scouring the forums reading up on what others have done, but I didn't see anything that might directly relate to my problem. If I missed it please let me know!

Thank you all for your help.

copyman
07-19-2023, 11:42 PM
Good afternoon! I am new to the website, but I wanted to reach out and pick some brains. I primarily work on KM production units but I have 4x c754e's coming my way free of charge. My plan is to turn 2 of them into my internal print units (invoices, letters, giveaway flyers, etc..). The problem is they all had the hard drives removed by the previous owner for secuirty concerns... I am not very well versed in walk up machines so any help is greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can turn these machines around and get them working? My goal is to give atleast 2 away to some local nonprofits or something here locally and I want them to be plug in ready by the time I give them out.

One of the codes that was sent to me was: C-FA14 - Other than that, I don't know much yet. I am receiving them on 8/4.

I have been scouring the forums reading up on what others have done, but I didn't see anything that might directly relate to my problem. If I missed it please let me know!

Thank you all for your help.

That trouble code C-FA14 is related to the HDD and once you install HDD's and format you should be good to go. Once you get the machines see if they left the HDD connectors, mounting plates, screws if not you will need them as well. Think the HDD's are 320GB notebook type but someone else will confirm?

Elmo
07-19-2023, 11:53 PM
Usually 250gb but 320gb will work

GrizzlyTPK
07-20-2023, 12:01 AM
Thank you both for the replies! I found this on Amazon, I'm thinking this is the way to go. It says "notebook" like you said, but take a look.

320gb drive --> HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD3200BVVT-5400RPM-Notebook/dp/B011PSX3AE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1Y5VS9HWPOTR6&keywords=320gb+hdd&qid=1689803872&sprefix=320gb+hdd%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-6)

Do I need to do anything with firmware or updates once I install? I read in another thread about the "service 2 > format stuff". Do I just follow that?

Thank you all!

femaster
07-20-2023, 01:21 AM
Thank you both for the replies! I found this on Amazon, I'm thinking this is the way to go. It says "notebook" like you said, but take a look.

320gb drive --> HERE (https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD3200BVVT-5400RPM-Notebook/dp/B011PSX3AE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1Y5VS9HWPOTR6&keywords=320gb+hdd&qid=1689803872&sprefix=320gb+hdd%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-6)

Do I need to do anything with firmware or updates once I install? I read in another thread about the "service 2 > format stuff". Do I just follow that?

Thank you all!

Those drives should work just fine.

As copyman stated, odds are they also removed the mounts and the cables, so most likely you will need to source those as well. It would take a fair bit of extra effort to reinstall the mount into the machine, so I wouldn't count on them being there.

Once the drives are installed, a quick jump into service mode and a Logical Format should get the machine up and running, barring anything else being wrong with them. Upon boot you will get a message on the screen to call for service as the "Animation Guide Data" is missing. Installing the "Movie Data" on each of the machines will eliminate that. Then install the latest firmware.

adfgdf
07-20-2023, 08:38 AM
Here are some part codes that you might need,
just in case you wanna order them!

emujo2
07-20-2023, 03:10 PM
The HDDs are not needed, we have several govt accounts that require the drive to be pulled before install. Once you get the drive in you'll be needing movie data to clear that annoying message. There may be some minor performance issues with scan to email, and the HDD can be used as temp page memory, but it main function is document storage. I would just send them out as is.

Synthohol
07-20-2023, 04:03 PM
Scanning and faxing still require the HDD no?

allan
07-20-2023, 05:37 PM
Here are some part codes that you might need,
just in case you wanna order them!

Good point. Don't think they would have made the effort to leave the brackets and cables in there. I had to use mirror tape in a couple of occasions.

blazebusiness
07-20-2023, 05:44 PM

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I'm pretty sure he must just be saying that the C754e will work fine without a hdd for Copying and printing.

tsbservice
07-20-2023, 08:33 PM
The HDDs are not needed, we have several govt accounts that require the drive to be pulled before install. Once you get the drive in you'll be needing movie data to clear that annoying message. There may be some minor performance issues with scan to email, and the HDD can be used as temp page memory, but it main function is document storage. I would just send them out as is.

Good point Ed.

copyman
07-20-2023, 10:42 PM
The main purpose of the HDD is to temporarily store original's for scanning, faxing & copying.

Plus I believe the address book, movie data, etc is permanently stored on HDD?

Markks
07-21-2023, 01:01 AM
I haven't tried a SSD in a 4 series but have used them in 8 series. Just booted up in to service mode and did logical format and SSD worked with no issue. The upside to using a SSD is its enclosed and you don't have to worry as much about mounting it but you will need the wiring (A0P0N15100 & A161N15J00) . I use 500g from Amazon that cost about $25.00.

femaster
07-21-2023, 05:05 AM

I *think* the 4e series machines required the HDD for faxing and scanning, but I can confirm with 100% certainty that the 8-series machines do.

We attempted to install a fax kit in an 8-series we were preparing to sell as a used unit, and despite the fax unit being installed and triple checking the connections were correct, the machine would not allow us to "set" the fax. After a bit of troubleshooting, we discovered that the HDD had become "unset" at some point (maybe during the Clear All?). Once the HDD was switched back to "set", we were able to "set" the fax kit without any issues.

GrizzlyTPK
07-21-2023, 07:28 AM
I’m sorry for the delay everyone! I’ve purchased the hard drives and decided to wait on the wiring and brackets. If my 2 will still print and copy I’m not worried about the HDDs. It sounds like I might be ok with mine, but I will know more soon!

thank you to everyone. You guys rock!

Also, I name every printer in my shop (PrintZilla - c6100 / Printageddon - c2060 / PrintNoire - 6120 / etc..) what shall we name the two small machines? I had a c654e that I killed with 2.2 million clicks. So help me decide what to name them before they leave. Anyone getting a free copier after me is stuck with the name and a vinyl sticker on the front.

thanks!!

adfgdf
07-21-2023, 07:55 AM
Without a HDD problems might and will probably occur while printing big jobs or scanning a lot,
it will run out of memory soon and probably will throw an error,
the fax is outdated here (in EU) and no one uses it since we are in the email era now.

About the naming of them, what about the names Furioso and Furiosa? :D

tulintron
07-21-2023, 02:09 PM
On printer OS startup, it needs to allocate data. Usually it uses the HDD. It makes everything go faster. Without the HDD, it uses memory.

Another important function is to print large byte files.
Without the HDD, some files simply disappear from the print queue. But for others, it is still possible to print.

Scanning and storing files in memory would be impossible without an HDD.

Good luck. I recommend 320Gb HDDs. They work better.

emujo2
07-21-2023, 04:55 PM
No fax on my C224e, but with HDD removed, scan to email works fine. My C364e with web browser and additional memory required removal of both. CD272 at power on with HDD unset. Ed

Synaux
07-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Anyone getting a free copier after me is stuck with the name and a vinyl sticker on the front.

thanks!!
Hmmmm, just for fun:
If you do not install the "movie data" perhaps cinéphobic or cinephile (irony).
For those without HDDs perhaps heedless-one, absent-minded, oblivious, et cetera

Now, this subject has always slightly....distracted...me:
That is, the seemingly inexact-exact function of the HDD (that is fickle to any given series).

So for the first time, I decided to look through the Theory of Operation with this in mind. It was a quick search as the Theory section can be somewhat dense and I am tired.

However, if I am reading this correctly--in all it's complexity and vagueness--the documentation seems to assert that you shouldn't be able to do much of anything without the HDD. This of course is contrary to reality as already pointed out by others. The term used after JBIG format compression is "stored" and not "stored in memory" and based on the block diagram, one might conclude that the storage medium would be the HDD (250GB standard) as opposed to the RAM.

I also found it amusing that earlier in the manual it states: "The odd and even analog signals output from the CCD sensor chips are synthesized to form a single string of signal data which is inturn converted to 10-bit digital signals (1024 gradation levels)." Which makes me wonder the true potential of the CCDs in these machines and even their performance (especially the older series).

-=End of the ramblings of a madman=-

femaster
07-22-2023, 05:51 PM
So for the first time, I decided to look through the Theory of Operation with this in mind. It was a quick search as the Theory section can be somewhat dense and I am tired.

-=End of the ramblings of a madman=-

A quick look at the block diagram in your attachment seems to give away a security bypass potential to allow for the copying of things that one should not be able to. According to the block diagram, the second-side scanner bypasses a few unneeded steps, and one of them would seem to be the DSC Board that detects security patterns on the originals. It would seem that if someone could manage to feed a forbidden item through the ADF upside down so that the dual scan would scan it instead of the main scanner, that you could bypass the machines ability to block you from copying it by blacking out the output. Hmmm....

mascan42
07-23-2023, 05:37 AM
One minor issue: if the machine has Bizhub Secure on it, it may not play well with a new HDD. You might have to perform a data clear to remove the encryption settings.

Custom Search