PDA

View Full Version : Corona wire spool

Custom Search

copyman
08-07-2023, 01:32 AM
Anyone know where I can buy a spool of 80 micron gold plated tungsten corona wire? I use it for the Kip wide format machines.

Looked online and saw some from China, ebay, etc but mostly 60 micron for Canon.

Or if someone has a roll to sell PM me.

Thanks

PS, sorry for posting in wrong forum.

JR2ALTA
08-07-2023, 03:23 AM
Google certainly provides results for this search...it was standard issue for Kyocear/Copystar techs 10+ years ago but I haven't needed it since..thankfully -- the pig tails were a pain in the a##

slimslob
08-07-2023, 04:42 AM
80 micron Transfer Separator Gold Plated Tungsten Corona Wire - 50 met — Shop In Today LLC (https://www.shopintoday.com/products/80-micron-transfer-separator-gold-plated-tungsten-wire-50-mter-spool)

mascan42
08-07-2023, 01:09 PM
You managed to string a 36"+ corona wire without getting a kink in it? I gave up after the first half dozen broke on me.

copyman
08-07-2023, 02:08 PM
You managed to string a 36"+ corona wire without getting a kink in it? I gave up after the first half dozen broke on me.

I've been re-stringing the Kip wide format coronas since the Kip 3000. It's a little tricky and waste some wire with kinks but still much cheaper than buying the pre-cut.

Just paid a lot of $$ for the Kip pre-cut wires and all broke when installing. Don't know if the wires were old or what but not going to pay all that $$ again. Would rather just string the coronas myself.

blackcat4866
08-07-2023, 03:21 PM
I've been re-stringing the Kip wide format coronas since the Kip 3000. It's a little tricky and waste some wire with kinks but still much cheaper than buying the pre-cut.

Just paid a lot of $$ for the Kip pre-cut wires and all broke when installing. Don't know if the wires were old or what but not going to pay all that $$ again. Would rather just string the coronas myself.

100% agree. They're not that hard to re-string. =^..^=

copyman
08-08-2023, 01:16 AM
It's no big deal to an old time tech who started out when re-stringing broken corona wires was one of the most common service calls. What was a pain in the ass back then was re-stringing the Canon grids! Or just as bad stringing fishing line that was used as guides on coronas (roll paper machines , e-stats, etc)

Fortunately most of the newer copiers don't use coronas anymore except the wide format. Sawtooth chargers or PCR's.

For anyone who doesn't have experience with restringing coronas hopefully this will help if ever faced with it. This has worked for me. Loop over one end of wire using fingers and with spring hook twist the loop 3-4 times, *Don't twist more than 4 or will weaken and break! Loop should be a little bigger than terminal hook and put loop on hook, stretch wire making sure no kinks, this is tricky part and might need to try a few times, lock one end of the spring with hemostats and slide other end of spring along wire to the other terminal, when you feel the right tension give 3 twists, connect spring to terminal and cut excess wire as close as you can. I use small sharp wire cutters. I cut excess off both sides because it could cause shorts.

blackcat4866
08-08-2023, 04:07 AM
Canon analog machines had (6) wires each ... if you did (5) calls in a day, you did (30) wires every day. I had it down to 3min per wire once the units were clean.

It was even easier when I could still see the wire. Still possible later on, but a little harder when I couldn't see the wire. =^..^=

BillyCarpenter
08-08-2023, 04:15 AM
Canon analog machines had (6) wires each ... if you did (5) calls in a day, you did (30) wires every day. I had it down to 3min per wire once the units were clean.

It was even easier when I could still see the wire. Still possible later on, but a little harder when I couldn't see the wire. =^..^=

I strung many corona wires back in the day on Sharp machines but they only had one wire. Why were that many wires needed? Just curious.

copyman
08-08-2023, 06:36 AM
I strung many corona wires back in the day on Sharp machines but they only had one wire. Why were that many wires needed? Just curious.

All those wires were for pre-charge, charge, transfer, separation, discharge. Might be a few other.....

Dbrat76
08-08-2023, 10:00 AM
Try precisionroller.com

It has been a while but I was able to buy it from them years ago.

blackcat4866
08-08-2023, 03:07 PM

(2) primary
(1) pre-transfer
(1) transfer
(2) separation

Towards the transition to digital, Canon finally came out with the oxidized gold wire and abrasive cleaners, that meant that the wires didn't need to be changed every visit.

I found the fishline more difficult to string. Before most manufacturers came out with snap-on plastic guides (to keep the paper out of the corona units and breaking the wires), we wrapped fishline around plastic posts on the transfer/separation corona units, after the wire was strung.

=^..^=

BillyCarpenter
08-08-2023, 03:30 PM
It's been a long time but I think I remember some Sharp's have 2 corona wires. I think the separation voltage was superimposed on the transfer corona wire - superimposing a negative DC voltage on the fixed AC voltage. Or something like that.

BillyCarpenter
08-08-2023, 03:37 PM
PS - I also remember cleaning the wires with a typewriter pencil eraser. That worked well for me. The wire would be all shiny again...if it didn't break. :D

slimslob
08-08-2023, 05:47 PM
Try precisionroller.com

It has been a while but I was able to buy it from them years ago.

First place I looked yesterday. They only had 100 micron in make your own spools.

PartsNow is where I used to get spools of corona wire. They went belly up.

slimslob
08-08-2023, 05:50 PM
PS - I also remember cleaning the wires with a typewriter pencil eraser. That worked well for me. The wire would be all shiny again...if it didn't break. :D

A regular pencil eraser worked also nut the wires cut into them faster.

Custom Search