PDA

View Full Version : c6501 expectations

Custom Search

gig0
02-28-2009, 01:34 AM
1 1/2 month old install: what should I expect as far as front to back registration on the c6501?

Since yesterday, Ive been noticing front to back registration has been "wandering" on long runs by as much as 1/16th of an inch to an eighth inch.

Are my expectations too high and/or am hypersensitive? I'm still learning whats acceptable right now in the digital world because I originate from an offset prepress background and have learned to "let go" of some of the critical aspects.

What should I expect?

random
03-02-2009, 05:18 AM
gig0,

Which direction is it wandering? lead edge to trail edge or up and down?

You are using pf601 or lu202 when you have this problem?

gig0
03-02-2009, 08:02 PM
it's wandering from the operator side to the back side, so I guess that would be up and down. I've been using tray 5 (the invoice says pf601 on it so I'm guessing thats it).

And I'm not exactly sure if it's always done it but definitely noticed on Friday because of a tri-fold panel job I was running (2up on 12x18 80# gloss text). The panels needed to line up front to back because of the folds so positioning and registration was critical. I had to stop the job 2 times to input new offsets for the image position in order to compensate the shift. The funny thing is, the second time I put in new offsets to compensate, I went back to the original measurements used to set the job up at the very beginning.

random
03-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Gig0,

If your paper guides are not set evenly or your paper is 1mm shorter or wider the engine will print 5mm out of register (sorry I'm metric) randomly. Measure your paper and check. If it has been cut to narrow/wide just put it in as a custom size. It is very important to keep the paper guides exactly the same width. The register should not move regardless of the age of your machine.

I have customers that keep the back guide fixed and only move/force the front guide. This will never register accuratly.

gig0
03-03-2009, 01:09 AM
I have customers that keep the back guide fixed and only move/force the front guide. This will never register accuratly.

This could be my problem since I'm guilty of doing just that. I always try to keep the guide (closest to the operator) in either the 12 or 11 inch marker and force the guide on the opposite side.

So in other words, you're saying I should just load the paper and let the guides center the paper as I bring them together and use the fine screw adjustments so the paper doesn't get pinched at the top of the feed?

buster68
03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I've seen this happen when the paper weight was set incorrect on the machine. Because of the ultrasonic sensor system in the machine its very, very important to register the correct paper weight and type for what you are using. Also, if the paper is on the list of unsupported media in the media guide, that can cause registration problems. If you don't already have a media guide, i suggest asking your KM dealer for one, its extremely helpful in registration, image quality and feed.

konica
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
you should not have any registration problems at all. spec is at 1 to 2mm. if it is any more then that then you have an issue.
check the paper weight and make sure the drwers are set accordingly to the weight of the paper. Check to see if the belt trans belt is slipping. Make sure the latest firmware is loaded.

random
03-04-2009, 05:15 AM
This could be my problem since I'm guilty of doing just that. I always try to keep the guide (closest to the operator) in either the 12 or 11 inch marker and force the guide on the opposite side.

So in other words, you're saying I should just load the paper and let the guides center the paper as I bring them together and use the fine screw adjustments so the paper doesn't get pinched at the top of the feed?

LOL! Yes you should release the back and front guides. Use the measurements on at the top of tray. Slap your wrist first!

gig0
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
yup, it worked. Today I had another 2 up tri-fold job running on the same stock and of course panel registration front to back was critical but this time it behaved. Thanks!

How could you possibly want me to slap the wrist that feeds you? :D

Custom Search