PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Routers

Custom Search

kyoceradude
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
:confused: This dosen't have aything to do with Copiers-Printers, well mayby it does. But, does anyone know how to hook up a wireless router with your Comcast Cable modem and actually have it work? I want to set up a network in my home so I can actually use my wireless laptop along with 2 printers and 2 desktop computers, and have access to the Internet. I'm not to savy when it comes to routers and Comcast.

dqydj
11-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I have my wireless router running with a comcast cable modem.
It's been over a year since I set it up so I don't know how much help
I'll be.
The setup I have running is a computer in the basement that is plugged
into the wireless router with a cat 5 cable (not wireless).
The router is plugged into the modem. Upstairs I have another computer
using a wireless usb adapter.
I believe the way I approached it was to setup the network so I could
get the two computers talking to each other first. (network setup wizard)
Once they are talking to each other you'll know the wireless is working.
I would try to avoid static IP addresses if you can.
then run internet setup wizard and you should connect fairly easily.
When the network is up you can go to each device on it and choose
whether or not to share the devices with all the computers on the network.

Hallmark
12-11-2006, 04:07 AM
Your modem is not what would prevent you from sharing your internet access. The router is where the configuration needs to be set up.

Without a router this is basically what happens. During the 'handshake" when connecting to the internet, the MAC address of your computer is assigned its internet IP address and the connection is established. That MAC address is registered and for the lease of that IP, the IP is linked to your network card.

When you connect a router, the MAC of the router is assigned the internet IP address - not your computer's NIC. Some ISP's will not allow a connection with an unknown MAC address. In this case, the computers on the wireless network will be able to communicate with each other, but not the internet.

Most routers allow you to clone your computer's NIC MAC address so that the router broadcast it as its own. Again, if the MAC address is not know by your ISP then an IP address will not be assigned. But if you clone the MAC address of the computer which already had an established internet connection, then the router will be assigned an IP address as if it was the computer. From that point, every wireless device on your network will be capable of sharing the internet connection.

I have had to call my ISP (Roadrunner) before and tell them that I had replaced my router and cloned the new router with my new computers MAC. They verified my account and registered my new MAC address. I was connected to the Internet before I hung up the phone.

I hope this helps you. Also, if you are using the latest Norton's firewall, it sees everything as a threat and wants to block it. My advice to anyone who wants a simple home network is to not use Norton's Firewall. It was even blocking my print services.

Warnock
12-16-2006, 12:54 PM
What kind of router do you have? Some are easy, some difficult to configure. You can use the configuration utility that comes with the manufacturer, or you can set up direct using windows depending on what you prefer. Also, is encryption on? If so, you have to configure that. Make sure that your channel#, SSID and keys are matching. DHCP is the way to go for ease.

Custom Search