PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Covers

Custom Search

tinfox
03-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Good afternoon!

I have a perfectly good Ricoh 3245 with most (why not all?) covers that are heavily yellowed. Has anyone found some kind of super solvent that will get the yellow out?

TIA

jpcopy
03-12-2009, 08:25 PM
no - if your are doing the same brand of machines alot then you might want to go to auto paint store and have them match the colors you need..what we done for sharps. works pretty fair. much better than yellow. get paint for plastic

tinfox
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Great idea!

How much should I expect them to charge for that?

blackcat4866
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Paint is the only real answer. The plastic gets yellow all the way through.

I worked for a dealer once that the owner was obsessive about bright covers. One day I got myself some fine grit sandpaper. I took an older Sharp analog and sanded all the covers. It's not quite as yellow all the way through the plastic. Not much of an improvement, and a lot of work.

When Ikon was selling refurbs out of Mexico, the machines arrived with a powdercoat paint job. If you try to clean this kind of paint job the paint cleans right off, revealing the yellowed original covers.

=^..^=

jpcopy
03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
the paint cost me about 80.00 for a galon. the little sprayers was about 20.00 and refill gas thingangigs was like 4.00 I have done several machines and not used a quart yet. be sure and prep surface properaly. so far its been holding well. these were all rentals. resale machines get org covers unless their told

cboucher
03-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Good afternoon!

I have a perfectly good Ricoh 3245 with most (why not all?) covers that are heavily yellowed. Has anyone found some kind of super solvent that will get the yellow out?

TIA

We used to use rubbing compound (found in any auto parts store). Sure, it's a little bit of work, but it's relatively cheap.

tinfox
08-17-2009, 08:24 PM
What I wound up doing for my yellow covers is...

Mix both Comet w/bleach and Softscrub w/bleach to make a paste.

Apply liberally, and set covers directly in the path of a neutrino/photon emitter. Leave there for a week. Hose off covers.

GOOD AS NEW (or better)

The con-pane and DF covers need a bit more time in the sun and maybe a second coat.

BTW, if you're thinking of doing this to only the yellow covers, don't bother. ALL of your covers are yellow. Try it with one cover and see what happens! The newly white cover will make the rest of you covers look ratty.

Very time consuming to be sure. Very little (none) elbow grease is required.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you!

JustManuals
08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Fantastic takes the yellowing out very well. Also Simple Green works well I've heard. I've even used WD-40 and a rag, not as good but still better than before.

08-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work great on covers.

Lotar
08-18-2009, 02:38 AM
"Billy Mays here"

LMAO

Custom Search