PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 351 with Fiery IC402 hard drive full

Custom Search

benclayton
03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
I've got a few 351's all with Fiery IC402 rips. 2 of these printers are reporting that the hard drive on the Fiery are getting full. I've used command workstation to clear the server, however every time I do so there is less and less space each time. I can't see where this space is going. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

buster68
03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
The first thing I would do is log into the Fiery Set-Up and perform the Clear Server. If you are sharing the driver for these from a server, I would suggest you check the port. Make sure that it is set up for true LPR printing, and not just TCP/IP masked as LPR, that will cause jobs to build up in the hold queue.

cobiray
03-17-2009, 11:31 PM
You might try changing your port name to direct if it's not already.

TheOwl
03-18-2009, 12:32 AM
No to flame anyone here, but why do people insist on using the 'Direct' queue? For general printing, you want to use the 'Print' queue as the Fiery can work more efficiently.

Personally, I steer clear of the LPR ports and use RAW 9100. From there, you can still utilise the 'Print', 'Direct' and 'Hold' queues from the driver.

And as for the 'Hard Drive Full' message, you have one of two scenarios.

1. The HDD is full and needs to be cleared. This can be done by going to Menu - Run Setup and when the Fiery reboots into setup mode, go to Clear Server.

2. The HDD has bad sectors / clusters or is on the way out. If you use Clear Server and the Fiery locks up or you don't get the full ammount of HDD space back, then this is the case. Try reloading the System Software which will format the HDD and fix these errors. If it doesn't, then replace the HDD.

cobiray
03-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I'm not insisting, merely giving a suggestion to troubleshoot an issue. Only trying to give another suggestion based on what I'm assuming that Ben is an end user, since there is no info on his profile and it's a first post so I wanted to try and keep things on an end user level.
IIRC, the direct queue doesn't keep anything on the drive after the job is completed, therefore not retaining drive space.

TheOwl
03-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Cobiray,

Well, I'll be damned. Someone that actually understands Fiery's. Like I mentioned before, I wasn't trying to shoot anyone down, just merely find an answer to why people think the Direct queue is the one you have to print to.

cobiray
03-18-2009, 03:17 AM
No worries. :D

benclayton
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've already cleared the server of all data using command workstation. This does clear some space off the hard drive of the Fiery, but it is still very full.

We currently print to the Fiery using a standard TCP/IP port on port 9100 (RAW).

I've checked the queues on the printer by adding the Hold / Print / Direct queues and there are no jobs waiting.

It sounds like the hard drive has some problems, fortunatly this machine is due to be replaced very soon.

Cheers

Ben

AjitN
03-31-2009, 02:55 AM
Fiery has NT OS which has its own backup files. What space you get or see in CWS is only spool file size allocated by NT. Also Fiery Server software has backup system, this all leads to reducing space problem. One can take out Fiery hads disk, put it in normal PC having NT or Xp and check for unwanted files and remove the same. ( something likes .chk, .log etc.).
The best thing I would suggest is to load the Fiery Software again.:)

Ajitn

B0265
03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Actually the IC-402 runs on Linux, but besides that I would also try reloading / upgrading (if it's version 1.0) the Fiery system SW.

Custom Search