PDA

View Full Version : Ripping jobs from different applications - slow

Custom Search

Taminol
03-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi guys,

This thing has been bothering me for a while now.
We have many clients using many diffent applicatons in their office enviroments.
It appears the when a job, (example = 4 x A4 pages in Publisher printed as an A3 doubled sided document x 100 prints) is sent to the machine (C253) it sends 400 pages. Which, as you can imagine takes a fair while. However, if a client prints some pictures using Microsoft Picture Manager, (1 x picture, x 100 prints) it only sends 1 page but the bizhub produces it 100 times.

Is there a hard and fast rule for how jobs rip?

Thanks

Mr Spock
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
DO NOT use the print screen for the number of copies. Use the printer properties screen. It will migrate back and show and print correctly. I found this out at a church that did their bulletins this way. Using the print screen it took 35 minutes (yes we timed 3 times) to rip and send to the printer. Doing it the way I suggested took 90 seconds. And that is a double sided letter size document.

AjitN
03-31-2009, 03:01 AM
Try putting Collect OFF. This will help for single page print ( 4 pages on 1 A3, BTB ) but if there are more than one page, you need to collect manually.

Ajitn

TheOwl
03-31-2009, 07:32 AM
The Microsoft products have a collate function built into their programs for use with 'dumb' printers. What happens is that the program (ie. Publisher) will look at print job and send pages 1234 then 1234 then 1234 and so on until it repeats that how ever many times you want the document. Basicly, it send the job to the printer how ever many times you requested sets.

This function will also screw up page orders and so forth for booklet making and other finishing features that require the job once, so the machine can figure out what it needs to do to finsih the documents.

Most printers and copiers these days (including the Konica Minolta's) are all scan once, print many times. This also goes for printing, receive the job once and print however many sets are required.

So, unticking the collate option from the Publisher print dialog box will stop the requirement of the job being sent 100 times, but the print driver will still tell the machine to collate the jobs.

Taminol
03-31-2009, 06:40 PM

So, unticking the collate option from the Publisher print dialog box will stop the requirement of the job being sent 100 times, but the print driver will still tell the machine to collate the jobs.

I've never noticed the Collate tick box, I will look at this tomorrow.

Some very interesting responses guys, thanks.

B0265
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Taminol,
Have you solved this? We had a call from a customer today with the same problem on a C450 and they claims that it does not help to untick the "collate" box in Publisher 2007.

pepper38_cnd
06-09-2009, 12:27 PM
If your machine has a HDD just send to a box and then print it at the machine as many as you want.

TheOwl
06-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I have now seen this for myself out in the field.

For some reason, only the PCL driver will do this from Publisher 2007. If you use the PS driver, everything is fine.

If you use Publisher 2003, everything is fine with both drivers. It seems that MS have unleashed another demon with Publisher 2007. The only thing that is really going to help is for MS to release a hotfix.

I have also confirmed my findings with Konica Minolta and they agree that it is Publisher and not the machine.

PS. I have seen this on a C253 / C353 and a C650, so I guess the whole new range of colour (excluding production machines or Fiery's) is effected.

Taminol
06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Taminol,
Have you solved this? We had a call from a customer today with the same problem on a C450 and they claims that it does not help to untick the "collate" box in Publisher 2007.

Yes it did sort the problem out. But as The Owl says, PS and PCL drivers behaved differently. Haven't really thought about the 2003 versus 2007 versions though. Food for thought I guess

Thanks Owl, nice and succinct :-)

Mr Spock
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
I have now seen this for myself out in the field.

For some reason, only the PCL driver will do this from Publisher 2007. If you use the PS driver, everything is fine.

If you use Publisher 2003, everything is fine with both drivers. It seems that MS have unleashed another demon with Publisher 2007. The only thing that is really going to help is for MS to release a hotfix.

I have also confirmed my findings with Konica Minolta and they agree that it is Publisher and not the machine.

PS. I have seen this on a C253 / C353 and a C650, so I guess the whole new range of colour (excluding production machines or Fiery's) is effected.

Check the method I posted earlier about where to put the number of copies. I found this about 2 years ago at a church that was using publisher to do the bulletins in house. If you clicked print and changed the copies there it was sent as a single page for each copy. If you click the printer properties and selected the number of copies in there then it sent one copy and repeated the print job the correct number of times. I think they patched that version ( I do not remember which right now) and I bet they went back wards on the new version. This also happens from time to time with certain version of excel.

KenB
06-11-2009, 02:26 AM
I just had this happen with Acrobat 8 (full version) the other day.

We were printing to a Fiery, printing 400 copies of a 2 page document. It would try to send 800 pages, then crash the RIP.

The easy answer, though, was to send only one copy, and then use Command Workstation for the other 399. (An old Fiery trick, actually...)

A lot of RIPs have these types of tools available, but, sadly, quite a few don't.

mo0651
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM
We have a BH350 B/W that can't handle simple PDF. It spools a four page document really slow and then prints one page waits about 10 seconds then spits out another. A 4 page word document has no problem. Any hints on this would be helpful. We have tried pcl and ps drivers and getting same result.:cool:

Mr Spock
06-11-2009, 11:28 PM
We have a BH350 B/W that can't handle simple PDF. It spools a four page document really slow and then prints one page waits about 10 seconds then spits out another. A 4 page word document has no problem. Any hints on this would be helpful. We have tried pcl and ps drivers and getting same result.:cool:
open the print dialog box (file print), click on the advanced tab, check print as image box then ok/close then send the job and see if this helps.

TheOwl
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM

You really should have started another thread for this issue.

Custom Search