PDA

View Full Version : CF 3102e Power surge.. Fiery will not communicate

Custom Search

ZeusGT
04-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Hey guys, one of my favorite clients has two of these machines that they purchased from me and while they run very well, I have a strange situation that is happening to one of them.

They called me in for a service call and said that one of the machines is not communicating with the network. I looked at the machine and the controller icon was not lit up in the Utilities menu. I rebooted the controller (CN3102e) and it came up and running.

Today, they called me again and the same situation was happening. The controller was not communicating with the network. I tried to reboot the controller again, but knowing that there is something wrong being that this is the second time that this has happend for the second strait day.

This time it never came back up. All green lights in the back, but no communication. After talking to the customer, she stated that the other day there was a guy there from the power company that was doing something to the meter (not reading it) and the power flickered off and on and I'm assuming that there was a power failure as well. I asked her if the machines were plugged up and the power on and she said yes it was, but it's possible that they were in sleep mode.

I noticed that there are no surge protectors plugged in. I wanted to know if the flickering of the power has caused any problems OR what is going on with this Fiery controller. This controller only has 64,000 copies on it. Thanks

TheOwl
04-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Two possible scenerios here seeing as the lights are lighting up on the controller and assuming you can hear the fans running.

1. The power surge has caused the HDD in the Fiery (CN3102e) to do something funny and it has corrupted the Fiery system software. Try reloading the system software on to the Fiery.

2. The power surge has stuffed the HDD in the Fiery completely. Replace the HDD and then reload the system software.

Don't forget that with both of these scenerios, you will need to reload any patches after the CN3102e is up and running again.

buster68
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree with the Owl. Reload System Software and patches. The older Fiery's didn't do well with abrubt, unsafe shutdowns.

copytechman
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Agreed fierys hate power flickers! Fun to reinstall the system software too!!
Regards!
A.

JSC
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
yep hard drive has probably gone tits up.......:( this not that unusual for one of these machines.
As one of the previous posts has said when you reload the software make sure you do the patches as well.

time2fly
04-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Yup HDD has gone bye bye, before you get a new one try doing a low level format on it then reinstall system software. Works for me.

Custom Search