PDA

View Full Version : 1045 Repair in Dallas Tx

Custom Search

ahkloan
05-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I am looking for someone in the Dallas Texas area that can repair a Ricoh 1045. It has thrown a code and will not continue working without servicing. If you know anyone who does this on the side or even a professional repair company that can repair inexpensively that would be great. I have learned some things about my copier since being on here. TIA

Nick

cobiray
05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Sales and Service Locations for Ricoh USA (http://ricoh-usa.com/about/salesandservice.asp)

Try here for dealers in your area.

ahkloan
05-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting the link. I was wanting to see if there were any guys who work on the side maybe on the weekends or something to make some extra money. I will check with some dealers and see what kind of prices i can get.

schooltech
05-08-2009, 10:24 PM
If you post the code, we may be able to at least let you know how deep you might be getting into with service.

Some codes aren't too big of a deal, and may only require a one hour visit from a tech.

ahkloan
05-08-2009, 10:43 PM
OK let me go turnit back on and see what the code is and see if its an easy thing that i can do or really needs repair guyout here. i have in the past replaced the drum and developer thing and all the brushes

aabarnes1
05-08-2009, 11:02 PM
OK let me go turnit back on and see what the code is and see if its an easy thing that i can do or really needs repair guyout here. i have in the past replaced the drum and developer thing and all the brushes
Yo mf/ interested to know what brushes you've replaced. Let us know and we might be able to help you

ahkloan
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
well now its not throwing a code but dumping toner like crazy. the green drum thing has toner all over it and leaving a black stripe down one side of prints. ill see if i can find the kit that i replaced last year. it came with everything to replace the drum in a kit with gloves and extra cleaner

aabarnes1
05-08-2009, 11:22 PM
well now its not throwing a code but dumping toner like crazy. the green drum thing has toner all over it and leaving a black stripe down one side of prints. ill see if i can find the kit that i replaced last year. it came with everything to replace the drum in a kit with gloves and extra cleaner
Really, seriously stop being a tight fisted tw@t and get yo cheque book out and pay a professional to service the machine, somebody who actually knows what a ' green drum thang' is

stephend
05-08-2009, 11:45 PM

This is the reason we are not respected and our job is not included as a trade. A "pair of gloves and a green thing" and everybody will fix a copier.
Every day I hear the same story "I'm working with a copier since I was a kid...don't teach ME!!"...and every day people brake "things" in copiers and they don't give a s....

Friendly Advice: Don't get your hands dirty with toner and dev and don't inhale the "unknown" content existent inside those bottles. Let a "toner turd" who will anyway die young and unknown to do it.

BIGBOY
05-09-2009, 12:58 AM
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU,, go post something on white trash.com/shemales/

Wishbone
05-09-2009, 02:32 AM
This is awesome!(sitting back eating popcorn:D)

Ricoh-ono
05-09-2009, 04:33 AM
You probably have a problem with the charge roller, drum blade, or both. You would be better off getting a dealer or direct service organization to diagnose and repair your machine. If you have a complete PM kit then you can probably get away with just paying for labor. Remember your paying for knowledge, skill, and warranty behind the work.

stephend
05-09-2009, 04:59 AM
This is awesome!(sitting back eating popcorn:D)

Hope you have a cold six pack in the freezer too. Enjoy
Cheers:D

tcs04
05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm up for it!!!!

How much is a return fare London / Dallas / London???!!!:D:D:D

ahkloan
05-09-2009, 03:42 PM
You probably have a problem with the charge roller, drum blade, or both. You would be better off getting a dealer or direct service organization to diagnose and repair your machine. If you have a complete PM kit then you can probably get away with just paying for labor. Remember your paying for knowledge, skill, and warranty behind the work.

Richo-ono thanks for responding to my post like an adult. In the kit that i replaced last year was in fact the charge roller, drum blade and all the little springs that go with it. This kit worked good and was fairly easy to R & R. I am going to get another toner cartridge as well since that is the last thing that was done to it and now it looks like it has been just dumping toner all over the charge roller. The toner cartridge on the 1045 is supposed to snap into the toner carrier tray, correct?

Nost of the repair shops that have worked and serviced this machine in the past have gone out of business or did not do a very good job and would not warranty the work that was done. I do not have a problem hiring a tech to come out and service the machine but if it was an easy fix I am compentent in doing the repair as I went to school for industrial robotics and electronics. I know there has got to be some guys who do service and repair on the side like a auto dealer mechanic does auto work on the side.

paulg
05-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Richo-ono thanks for responding to my post like an adult. In the kit that i replaced last year was in fact the charge roller, drum blade and all the little springs that go with it. This kit worked good and was fairly easy to R & R. I am going to get another toner cartridge as well since that is the last thing that was done to it and now it looks like it has been just dumping toner all over the charge roller. The toner cartridge on the 1045 is supposed to snap into the toner carrier tray, correct?

Nost of the repair shops that have worked and serviced this machine in the past have gone out of business or did not do a very good job and would not warranty the work that was done. I do not have a problem hiring a tech to come out and service the machine but if it was an easy fix I am compentent in doing the repair as I went to school for industrial robotics and electronics. I know there has got to be some guys who do service and repair on the side like a auto dealer mechanic does auto work on the side.

Second attempt my first attempt was lost as i went to preview.

I think you under estimate the photocopier, yes i see lots of simple repairs which i could train or describe to many non copier trained people.
But I know for a fact that even if we hire a highly intelligent Technolgy degree holding indivual we still train them up for six months and when they first go out on their own to calls they still have to ring others for advice.

I work for a manufactuer I do know of people who have carried out jobs on the side and I have dealt with the other side. Clearing up the mess after this has happened.

Firstly how do you know the person you hire is trained or compent?

What skills, qualfications would you look for?

A engineer trained on a Ricoh may know nothing about a Konica and vice a versa. I msure they could have a good go part experience and know how on the particular model is critical i find.
For example due to the huge ranges copier manufactuers have not all Engineers are trained on all the range in every case.

How much experience does your Engineer have? You may strike lucky and get a good tech but many as they get older either move up the payscale or grow weary of the trade i find. They dont want work on the side. So are you sure you wont have a trainee or a guy on a lower payscale even if he has years in the trade? I know plenty of guys who have 10's of years experience but still seem clueless. I certainly would not wanna spend money on them working on a device.

Also who will supply the parts? If the Engineer does he will either use his own stock, which means he is stealing it and your handling the goods. A crimnal offence i belive in the UK, i presume in the US?
If he uses third party or your buy the parts from the manufactuer who decides how many and what parts?
Many techs on here will tell you the less experienced or poor Engineer will order more parts than someone who is on the ball will.

If the Tech is supplying the parts and making a 100% profit on them...

If he buys you third party parts will he know all about them. For example I have years and years experience but have never fitted a third party spare part, i belive some you need to adjust different settings and alsorts. Some simply dont seem to work well from what I read on here from Techs who work in dealerships who try them out.

Who will you go to if the repair is no good. The Tech may well deny ever being there as he or she would lose their job and possibly face legal action. Also how do you escalate the issue?
If a dealership and almost certainly the manufactuer goes in. They will insist all genuine parts are fitted. I know this as I have been the engineer told to do this to a quite a few copiers. If i had not raised the issue if another of an engineers went on later there is a chance it might query why third party parts were being used. Which would put me under the spotlight, ie what was i up to..

I have been to places where the fusing rollers, the drum, its blade and Dev plus the dev had to be changed before we would work on the device. It only had a jamming issue, which seemed to have plagued the machine for months from the smc. We also while there "improved the copy quality" as the cheap parts had caused backgrounding.

Although unlikely if the Tech had accident while on site or the device was involved in an incident. Whose insurance would that person claim on?

I was told by a group of fire safety inspectors the first thing they always check is the copier/printer and vending machines in a typical office.
Will your insurance be voided if it comes out you had it serviced on the cheap or cant prove who serviced it.
In the UK technically all Equipment has to be PAT tested, maybe they don't need to in the US.
If a device failed its pat test then the insurance company may not be so happy untill it passes. You would need to get a service company to make right any issues. Its rare but is the off duty tech going to come in and put his or her name to the device once they have checked over the device?

I know some are a bit extreme. but this device sitting in your office is not a toy. It needs treating with care

Good luck but just be careful trying to do things on the cheap, you maybe lucky but i have seen some people out of pocket.

tcs04
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Well said Paulg!!

Private Jobs are and have been for some time a fools errand.

Most Engineers will avoid them like the plague since they will, as you mentioned result in either an inferior repair due to insufficient parts, inferior parts, or complaint if ANY problem, including those unrelated to the original one should occur within a few weeks of the call.

I for one would not risk a career and reputation of 30 years on this kind of entrprise.

It seems this machine is a good example as it sounds like for whatever reason the dev is so overtoned that it requires replacement. Better to get an expert with backup to fix the machine once and for all!

I think both Wishbone and Stephend have the right idea!!!!! (Mmmmmm.... Beer!!!)

Ltd
05-10-2009, 02:32 AM

It took me arround 6 to 8 years to become fairly comfortable what I am doing to Copier I don't say It easy. Those years I still need some helps when I deal with difficult situations. Even thought I had factories trainings.
Everybody w/o knowledge basic fundamentals of Copier progress can replace PM parts. But to fine tune it required years of experiences. This is commercial copier which is much different than Home Depot on Sale sheves.
You can save some bucks instanly when you fresh replace PM parts by yourself, but If you don't run checks ,you will have problems later for sure. And the labor cost will be high, sometimes machine might need those parts you replaced again.
Good luck.

ahkloan
05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my thread. I can see your point of view as to parts/service/repair outside of a professional company. Does anyone have a suggestion for a competent company in the dallas area that could fix my machine? We have had it serviced in the past by 2 companies and like I said one is out of business the place we purchase it from 2 years ago so our 4 year service contract is gone. and the other company who came out was mom & pop outfit and they didnt do such a great job and wouldn't make it right. I am just looking for a reasonable price for a fairly simple repair/service. The machine has been a very reliable copier with very few jams/misfeeds which were mostly people putting paper in wrong.

Again thanks to all the guys with their vast experience chiming in with their opinions without drama.

mikadonovan
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Sales and Service Locations for Ricoh USA (http://ricoh-usa.com/about/salesandservice.asp)

Try here for dealers in your area.
If Cobiray's post doesn't help you, I don't know what will. I am quite sure investigating this link will direct you to your local service professional. Remember, as a general rule you get what you pay for.:)

schooltech
05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't know of anyone in Dallas specifically, but remember that any company that is under the Ricoh "umbrella" such as a Savin, Lanier, or Gestetner dealer can competently service the machine, as they all had the same training. Now, not all techs are factory trained, but this box has been around for quite a few years, so you'll be hard pressed to find a tech that is not familiar with the machine. I'm sure that any of us on this thread could get the machine cleaned up.

It probably does need a PM kit, or at least a thorough cleaning.

Just doing a google search, I found DFWcopiers.com, who service Ricoh, Bimaginginc.com that service Savin, and asapcopyproducts.com which service Gestetner.

I do not know of their reputations, but it looks like bimaginginc & asapcopyproducts are dealers, so they'll have some good support for parts and supplies. I would start there and see what their rates are to get your machine up and running.

ahkloan
05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks guys I will defintely look those guys up since they are listed as a dealer. I was just wanting to see if there was anyone on the thread that was from the area and I would give them the business first.

hodgiepodgie
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Ok lets get back to why we are here im here to help and get help. Sir tell us of any codes is number one second sounds as though whom ever worked on your unit was not a qualified tech my guess is you are getting a 350 code (i.d)sensor , its probably saturated with toner.any way your gonna have to get a qulified tech on it.should be plenty of techs in dallas as i was there last year good luck

ahkloan
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Is there a certain tech code that would printup all the codes or whats wrong with it? I had a tech show me how on our canon and muratec machines but never on the ricoh

stephend
05-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Well said Paulg!!

Private Jobs are and have been for some time a fools errand.

Most Engineers will avoid them like the plague since they will, as you mentioned result in either an inferior repair due to insufficient parts, inferior parts, or complaint if ANY problem, including those unrelated to the original one should occur within a few weeks of the call.

I for one would not risk a career and reputation of 30 years on this kind of entrprise.

It seems this machine is a good example as it sounds like for whatever reason the dev is so overtoned that it requires replacement. Better to get an expert with backup to fix the machine once and for all!

I think both Wishbone and Stephend have the right idea!!!!! (Mmmmmm.... Beer!!!)

No honest...tcs04 you are right.
Look at us...Today I drove over 200 km... I did 6 calls on mid volume machines...I came home...and now I'm on this forum trying to help like many of you guys....and suddenly buuum a post like the original one in this thread. Of course I have a beer in front of me...
I have tons of customers like this...They make millions, they drive BMW or Benz but when it's time to replace their copier or to service it properly...no can do...let's save a dime.
I joined the forum recently, until now I was stuck on our TSC site and changing opinions with other tech in the branch, but this forum it's addictive and are a lot of great people here.
Cheers:o

ahkloan
05-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Man I wish i made millions and drove a BMW, I'm probably like most of you living paycheck to paycheck. i am in the mortgage business and my pipeline is very small at the moment because I am disabled and is very tough to get out and go get loans. And every loan officer i hire now days wants the loans to come to them and not work. i'm not looking for sympathy I got in this business to help people achieve a dream and not just for the money like all the guys who are now back selling cars or teaching.

I like posting on forums because some of them give some very good advice on what to do and how to do it. Most of the forums have their trolls who come out every once in awhile and cause trouble and post stupid things in posts but for the most part people like to help others. I was definitely not trying to cut corners and fix it on the cheap so i can buy gas for my boat this weekend. Its either fix it or continue printing everything out on a HP 3015 multi-function printer and going through toner every 3-4 days.

Thanks to all the guys who have previously posted with advice, but is there a combo of buttons i can do to tell me what will ned to be serviced and i can post and see what you guys think? Thanks for your time.

stephend
05-12-2009, 05:10 AM
Man I wish i made millions and drove a BMW, I'm probably like most of you living paycheck to paycheck. i am in the mortgage business and my pipeline is very small at the moment because I am disabled and is very tough to get out and go get loans. And every loan officer i hire now days wants the loans to come to them and not work. i'm not looking for sympathy I got in this business to help people achieve a dream and not just for the money like all the guys who are now back selling cars or teaching.

I like posting on forums because some of them give some very good advice on what to do and how to do it. Most of the forums have their trolls who come out every once in awhile and cause trouble and post stupid things in posts but for the most part people like to help others. I was definitely not trying to cut corners and fix it on the cheap so i can buy gas for my boat this weekend. Its either fix it or continue printing everything out on a HP 3015 multi-function printer and going through toner every 3-4 days.

Thanks to all the guys who have previously posted with advice, but is there a combo of buttons i can do to tell me what will ned to be serviced and i can post and see what you guys think? Thanks for your time.

My post was not a direct attack against you or the problem you have. Believe me...all of us want to help...but the most important thing in this business is to be in front of the machine and visualize what is going on.
Your machine is a piece of cake to fix it...if you have the parts you need.
In the entire post I didn't find the code that cause problems...Causes for dumping dev & toner could be multiple starting with a defective toner hopper and so ending with wrong voltages (those could be fixed with a touch of buttons).
If you want the machine SM or Part Cat send me a PM and I will email them to you. Good luck.

Ricoh-ono
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Ricoh has a direct service organization in the D/FW area (Plano and Coppell). Also ASI Business Solutions has a good service department as well.

Custom Search