PDA

View Full Version : IP-901 on C500

Custom Search

langelot
05-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi Guys (and gals...if any),

I am having the following issue with an IP-901 external Fiery controller (Blue Tower) for the C500 - I believe it can also go on an 8050. This is taken directly from KM solutions:

Description

"Invalid license, Shutdown in progress" message after upgrading the IP901 from version 1.1 to 2.0 (System 6).

Solution

CAUSE: The upgrade to version 2.0 requires a dongle to update the BIOS on the controller for use with the new system 6.
SOLUTION: The dongle comes with the upgrade and includes a product upgrade CD for use with the dongle.
WARNING: If the software was downloaded from the Konica Minolta FTP site and was not obtained from an upgrade package, the controller will be non-functional until the previous release code is reinstalled or an upgrade kit is obtained to enable the software.

I'm installing this IP-901 on a C500 so I believe I really need Version 2.0/2.1 (System 6).

Does anyone have an image file for this controller (60GB HDD) or know anything about the "dongle" or what part number and where to get this infamous upgrade kit?

PS: I did not have any firewalls or anti-virus running during the update.

Thanks

pepper38_cnd
05-16-2009, 01:03 AM
You cannot upgrade to V2 without an upgrade kit. I suggest you start again and reinstall 1.1.

random
05-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Yep he is right, Ver 2 requires a dongle to update the bios.

pepper38_cnd
05-16-2009, 11:48 AM
This is what KonicaMinolta lists in the product reference guide.

Controller 960895 IP-901 External Controller

Controller 7640001347 IP-901 Upgrade

Controller 20BB IP-901 System 6.1 (v2.0)

I believe the first one is the original, in the middle is the upgrade kit, and the last is the latest

langelot
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
First, thank you all for the replies, at least I can look for these part numbers.

I take it then, that no one here has tried imaging a hard drive that was already upgraded to try and bypass the annoying dongle issue?

Or is that even a possibility. I originally bought this IP from a fellow in Ohio, but when it came - it looks like something was corrupted - XP (embedded) would load up, then nothing but a black screen. I thought it might be a driver issue - tried hooked and unhooked from copier, different display panels, etc... No luck. Finally, I have a friend with an 8050 with the same print controller and I went ahead and tried his hard drive on my IP - it seemed to boot up fine. I then went ahead and imaged his hard drive and copied it unto mine. Again. seemed to work like a charm. The problem was when I sent a tech more familiar than I on this machine to hook it up to the client's machine - He apparently, upgraded the firmware and consequently had this problem.

Should I bring the older firmware back, will this cause me an issue with the C500 - will it run properly with the older firmware meant for the 8050?
Will imaging an already upgraded hard drive resolve my issue and bypass the dongle dilema?

Watch and see on the next episode of "As the Drum Turns"...

random
05-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Well, no but. I would say the software would check the BIOS state and stop running. You could try but I would say that it will be a fruitless experience. I don't think the firmware (I am assumeing you mean on the engine) would have much effect on the controller booting.

This is sounding quite confusing. You say it booted up then the screen went blank. Is the monitor screen or the Fiery screen? If the XP logo comes up and the screen went blank then the Fiery probably dosen't have a FACI either so you can't use a screen with it.

If your friends Fiery was 1.1 as well you could use the ghost of his, you would just have to use different output profiles as the toners are slightly different.

langelot
05-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Ok. I think what you mean is that there is two sets of firmware, the Bios Firmware (the one that needs the dongle) and which resides on the motherboard of the IP tower and the firmware/software which is on the hard drive.

I was surprised because I could not really see a program running while I had it working - only this program some people have told me is called command workstation, and even then I could not find an "about" button to give me a name and version number of the software. Except for that, all I could really see running was the OS (Windows Xp embedded).

As to the screen being blank with the original hard drive - I was definitely getting a video signal and the screen was still on - it just would not show anything for any period of time after the windows boot up screen.

This is kind of a mute point anyway, since, by now, I had reimaged the hard drive to one that was working.

Has anyone had any luck calling EFI to get a license or a work around?
I know the IP was not originally sold with this copier, but still, you would think they would stand by their product?

pepper38_cnd
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Have a Fiery trained technician load the original system code, it should work. If indeed you do need Version 2 then you will have to spring for the Upgrade kit, or the new version Ip, you are not going to turn a Version 1.1 into a Version 2, Without the upgrade kit , no mater what you do to the HDD.

Custom Search