PDA

View Full Version : IP Scanning

Custom Search

Taminol
06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi guys,

In a nutshell......IP Scanning.....what is it?

I'm looking to configure a KM282 to scan to SMB. I note from KM's 282 Product Launch Guide I don't need an SU-501 to scan to SMB.

What exactly does scan to IP mean?
I know an SU-501 with a FK-503 extends the functionality to add network fax. But what does it do on its own?

Thanks

Taminol

DocuSystems
06-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I've seen IP Scanning used to describe SMB Scanning, though for IT guys, IP scanning is another thing entirely.
In either case, the 282 supports Scan to SMB directly out of the box with no other accessories needed. Give it an IP, Subnet Mask, and Gateway, or let it find it's own using DHCP. Setup a one touch to point to the PC you are scanning to, and you're all set. You of course have to create a share on the PC and give the Bizhub Rights to that share.

Taminol
06-03-2009, 10:01 PM
....... IP scanning is another thing entirely.

Hi DocuSystems,

Thanks for your post.
Unfortunately it didn't clarify my initial question.
What is IP Scanning?
What's it for, it's purpose, it's reason for being, benefits?
You know, that kinda thing

Thanks

Taminol

Mr Spock
06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I believe it is to unlock network faxing and internet faxing.. Why it is called ip scanning I do not know.

crbeaufla
06-04-2009, 01:42 AM
The function could be called IP scanning as you are sending the scans to a destination IP address. That is rather than making a copy, an image of the document is saved as a PDF or tiff on the destination file share. These type of machines tend scan hundreds of documents in less than a minute. You have them on the file share on your comptuer by the time you get back to your desk. To do that manually it could take a couple of hours unless you have a scanner equiped with an Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)

Good luck getting it going. Some environments do not support SMB. I've more luck setting up the Scan to Email option on our new 2007 server based domain.

Give a shout if your stuck. I have had it work successfully. If you have more than 10 scanpoints to setup I highly suggest you make a network share, have everyone scan to there and perhpas setup a few secure points for managers or certian individuals that require confidentiality

Now the other way IP scanning is used, is to search the network for valid IPs, here is a good example of one of them. SoftPerfect Network Scanner: fast and free network scanner (http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/)

There is one other thing it could be. I've seen a few systems that have client side software that communictes back to your copier device, and will let your scan or fax from your machine. I don't know too much about that software as I'm not a big fan of something you have to install and configure for individual clients.

buster68
06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
IP Scanning is a KM program used to directly connect the box to a computer for a limited time. When you have the SU-501/FK-503 installed on the box, you can hit the Extra Scan button on the control panel, when you started the IP scan program and registered it with you copier, you'll see a Push Pin note with the name you registered...put your documents in the feeder, touch the note on the control panel and push start.

We call IPScan the Spongebob scanner...the character on the program that says the key registration is good or not looks kinda like Spongebob Squarepants.

Taminol
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
I believe it is to unlock network faxing and internet faxing.. Why it is called ip scanning I do not know.

My understanding of Internet Faxing is that it is standard on the device when it is unboxed.
Thanks for your reply

Taminol
06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi crbeaufla,

I must admit I rarely encounter a problem with SMB. User names, passwords, Norton, Group Security Policy are pretty easy to sort out.

Thanks for your full reply. Very interesting to read.

Taminol
06-05-2009, 08:26 PM
IP Scanning is a KM program used to directly connect the box to a computer for a limited time. When you have the SU-501/FK-503 installed on the box, you can hit the Extra Scan button on the control panel, when you started the IP scan program and registered it with you copier, you'll see a Push Pin note with the name you registered...put your documents in the feeder, touch the note on the control panel and push start.

I guess this makes the most sense to me.
I just always wondered what it was.
Seems to me that you pay for the additional SU-501 and it gives you what you already have in scan to SMB.
Or am I being over simple?

Cheers

Taminol

Custom Search