PDA

View Full Version : Non-tech w/C500 calibration question (computer -> printer)

Custom Search

Cat Herder
06-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Just signed up to try to learn more about our C500. We've had it about 4 years, right now we are in between service contracts (so to speak) and I need to try to figure out how to calibrate it so that the output comes closer to matching what's on the monitor (I am not learning disabled and I realize that the monitor shows a different picture than a piece of paper does - it's just that when ripping on the C500 we would like to be more confident that the colors would look... correct. Which of late, not so much...which is to say crappier than they usually look, which is usually pretty crappy. Not a fan of the C500, I must admit.)

We use Fiery 4.6.46 and I know there's a controller panel in here somewhere (apart from the Webscan, which we use quite often) but I can't for the life of me remember how to access it. I'm hoping there are calibration tools in there.

Would really appreciate 1) a reminder on where to find the Fiery Controller and 2) any tips on computer -> to -> printer calibration.

Again, I'm not a tech, just a lowly store manager with experience and skill at fixing 'stuff,' but I won't go near any dipswitches.

Thanks!

Mr Spock
06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Would really appreciate 1) a reminder on where to find the Fiery Controller and 2) any tips on computer -> to -> printer calibration.
Thanks!

I would recommend a densitometer that has monitor calibration software with it. NOT a cheap option but will give the closest reproduction available. Basically you have the monitor display a color chart scan it in and the software creates a monitor profile. then you do the same with the printer(print a chart out and scan it) this creates a printer profile then form the driver select the expert adjustment option and point to these profiles and you should be really close if not exact. Other than this (I have 2 graphic arts places doing this once a month on 10 machines) I do not know of any way to get it closer than what you are now.

Cat Herder
06-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you for quite the logical option (hoorah, a fan of classic!) And a plus, one that will entertain my boss when I show him prices... he may never stop laughing.

Ah well. I think we'll stick with sending customers to the big chain if it's something important.

Still wish I could find that control panel app that's somewhere on this computer though.

random
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I think the control panel you are looking for is 'manage color' in the tools menu of the CWS. This is where you get to calibration anyway. The screen you have would have come with a CD that has an ICC profile on it. This is a very generic profile for the monitor you have not specifically for your screen.

You can transfer this onto your fiery and select it as the default RGB input. This may or may not produce are more accurate representation. Depending on what software you are using you can change the screen rendering to match the cmyk profile you have in your fiery. If you are in the states I would assume this to be SWOP. Although this is mainly on the Adobe CS software.

Cat Herder
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
CWS?

Avalon
06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
CWS is Fiery command workstation.Once this is open select server,manage colour,calibration and you should recognise it from there on.

Custom Search