PDA

View Full Version : Black areas on copy

Custom Search

Frankie4Fingers
07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi guys,

I have a Konica EP1080 and recently it's started producing black areas over the copies. It seems to be an intermittent problem, sometimes (usually) it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried cleaning everything up but no luck.

I've attached a pic of a copy it made of a blank white page to show what it does. It seems like the spacing between the dark bands down the sides of the page coincides with the circumference of the drum. These dark bands always come out on the page in the location shown, not anywhere else on the page.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what causes this?

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

ck1
07-15-2009, 01:40 PM
look like the drum faulty . Did you try adjust F3 or F5 ?

Luther
07-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I would agree with CK1,looks like the drum might be gone, drum life was 55k and so was developer,if you use a lighter exposure setting do the dark areas get lighter?

minimerlin
07-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I would look at the cleaning blade! The black lines look to be wiggley...because the blabe moves from side to side. If the blade is worn it cannot clean the drum correctly so you get the lines / dark area. The drum and blade usually last about 80k, but the blade can go off if it gets old! If you do change the drum make sure you clear the drum counter.

Frankie4Fingers
07-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions guys!

ck1 - I'm not a photocopier tech, although I'm probably half way there considering the number of times I've had to get this old clunker going, ha ha, and I've got lots of books about the machine . . . what is F3 and F5? :rolleyes:

Luther - I haven't tried different exposures, I'll give it a shot and see what that does. What generally happens when the developer runs out?

minimerlin - you're right, now that I look at it closely, the black lines do seem to have a gentle wave to them that appears to be in phase with the drum rotation, so perhaps the cleaning blade is involved here. I'll check it out.

Thanks again for the tips everyone, any any more would be most welcome!

ck1
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
did you try adjust to lighter and see, if can improve try clearn the mirror and do the adjustment. drum life span how many k?? ( press stop 0 stop 1 then press 8 then see the pc counter how murch .PS drum life is around 70k ):cool:

FlamemakeR
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
i think it looks like a problem with the exp. Lamp. are the lamp clean ?
any drums running 200k copies.

but it is possible that the photoconductor drum is to old.

important

the mirrors / Optical Section must be kompl. clean then you can get the F3 and F5.

FlamemakeR

Frankie4Fingers
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
:eek: Ahhhhhh!

You guys are killing me!! What's F3 and F5? English please! Ha ha!

I really appreciate the suggestions, I've made a list of things to check and I'll tackle it this weekend. Please keep the ideas coming!!

I have no idea how many ks are on the drum, but it looks good to me! :p
Ha ha, I'll check out the ks as well.

Thanks again guys!!

FlamemakeR
07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
F3 and F5 are the exp.Lamp GAIN Adj. over the Servicemode...

stop 0 stop 1 , 1 this ist the F-Mode

press 5 and Start , before you must take a piece of A3 Paper on the originalglas.

the Lamp-gain will be adjust form the machine.

at he end the hex-data on the panel shows you the gain. then the copy ist ok you can end this. then the copy are bad you can change the hex-data with the zoom +/- buttons

FlamemakeR

Frankie4Fingers
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I see, thanks for that FlamemakeR. I'll try and give that a go.

Does that have the same effect as adjusting the brightness/darkness of the copy? But just changes it for the normal setting?

FlamemakeR
07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
yes right.

here you adjust the normal position and it will be saved.

gerhardd
07-16-2009, 12:49 PM
The copy is very faint. Looks like reverse charge from your drum, and paper seperating after image transfer. Maybe trie to replace the varister, and resistor on your transfer guide of your transfer corona.

Hope this helps.

Frankie4Fingers
07-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Gerhardd.

That's actually a copy of a blank white page though. If you can see some faint writing on it it would be from something printed on the back of the page.

FlamemakeR
07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
have you check the cleaning blade ???? when you copied a blank white page and the outputpaper are black or faith,(reprints) the cleaningblade dosnīt works accurate.

Frankie4Fingers
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
No I haven't but I will check that this weekend. Thanks.

eg101
07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
If it's from the claning blade you will see the lines on the drum when you remove the drum/developer section from the copier.
Rotate the drum ( still in the developer unit) clockwise, if there are still lines on the drum, it's the blade thats bad.

time2fly
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Dude you would be soooo much better off and money ahead getting a new or used CANON iR3320i or something like that they're not much money used and sure would be better then that piece of crap Konica Minolta, Seriously thats what I would do. I'm not just saying this to get you to spend money you may not have but it's getting harder to get parts for those copiers, besides you can't print or scan on the EP....

gerhardd
07-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Good surgestion, but some of us have to look out for our costomers that want to still live in the dinosorous age. Happily our time for that model passed a long time ago, but a little help for the guy would not hurt ....!

Frankie4Fingers
07-17-2009, 01:34 PM
time2fly is right, it is a piece of crap, I bought the machine second hand years ago for cheap and haven't spent a cent on it, but I've just kept it going myself. It's really not worth fixing and I wouldn't even spend the money on a new drum, a new machine would be a much better way to spend my money.

I just like tinkering and although I'd never seen inside a photocopier before owning this one I've had to learn how to keep it going myself, I've overhauled the clutches several times, fixed up the heater unit, whatever its called, etc.

Anyhow, I know that after a copy, when I open the machine and look at the drum, it has a faint layer of toner over it, where the dark spots on the copies happen. Is that normal, or should it be spotlessly clean after a copy?

eg101
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
If you are looking at the drum when it is still inside the copier it will have some toner on it because it has not reached the cleaning area yet.
Looking at the drum from the front of the machine, the drum is charged at 12 o'clock, toner applied at 3 o'clock, print transfered to paper at 6 o'clock, and drum cleaned at 9 o'clock.
If you remove the drum/developer section from the copier you will be looking down at the 12 o'clock area which should be clean.

Frankie4Fingers
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for that eg101, that's very handy to know. I take it that means that looking from the front, the drum rotates clockwise?

abilashvk
07-18-2009, 12:59 PM
dear friends,
Some excellent tech.s already participated in this thread.Let me assume this as a MINOLTA CSPRO EP1080.If not then sorry but, this is commen to all analog copiers. change the (spacer/roll)coller on mag,.roller -adjust transfer/sep guide plate- adjust transfer/sep,. voltage if it's not a MINOLTA(some VR will be there -SORRY don,t know exact location).Before replacing collar U can tape both un-exposed side of PC Drum with 2 layers of normal cello-tape and confirm (if its a MINOLTA 1080)

minimerlin
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
dear friends,
Some excellent tech.s already participated in this thread.Let me assume this as a MINOLTA CSPRO EP1080.If not then sorry but, this is commen to all analog copiers. change the (spacer/roll)coller on mag,.roller -adjust transfer/sep guide plate- adjust transfer/sep,. voltage if it's not a MINOLTA(some VR will be there -SORRY don,t know exact location).Before replacing collar U can tape both un-exposed side of PC Drum with 2 layers of normal cello-tape and confirm (if its a MINOLTA 1080)
None of these are needed! It is the Cleaning Blade!! I have seen this on many machines...when they were common machines.

Frankie4Fingers
07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
You're 100% correct minimerlin, that was the first thing I checked since I figured it was the easiest of all the suggestions to start with, and that was the problem.

As per eg101's advice I looked at the top of the drum and sure enough I could see toner all over it. So I took the cleaning blade out, cleaned it up thoroughly with alcohol and it copied perfectly. Unfortunately about 10 copies later about 3 black stripes appeared so it seems I need to get a new blade.

Thanks to everyone for the great help!

The ol' 1080 actually has another issue but I'll make a new thread for that one soon! Ha ha!

Cheers.

Custom Search