PDA

View Full Version : IC-402 Fiery Controller Not Working

Custom Search

pajeroid
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
This Fiery just does not come on to ready. I have hooked up a monitor to the Fiery box to see what is going on and the display reads....

Uncompressing Linux

Ok, booting the kernel.

Then it just hangs. It mentions something about Lilo.

I have the system software CDs(2) but they will not find the Fiery either.

Any advice?:confused:

mrwho
07-21-2009, 11:09 PM
You say they will not find the Fiery. How are you trying to install the system? I never personally installed the system on a 402, but I assume it is done via the parallel port with the copy command or similar?

pajeroid
07-22-2009, 08:26 AM
You do it with either a network cable (crossover) or USB cable (A to B). In my mind, unless the Fiery boots up to Linux or something similar it won't be able to update the software?

LILO is linux, do you think if I install Linux it will find it again?

The Fiery software says... Waiting for Fiery to become ready.....

Then times out.

Emjay
07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
LILO is the boot loader.

I thought the system software for this Fiery was installed from a bootable CD on a connected laptop.

ie. Burn the software iso, then boot your laptop from the CD. This loads a version of Linux (may even be a Knoppix clone) which then allows you to re-install the system software to the Fiery.

It does rather sound like a corrupt software install, or a failed hard drive.

I've got the system software CD pdf and the service manual for this controller if you need it. Send me a PM !

pepper38_cnd
07-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe this will help, Note the changing of service switches.

pajeroid
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I've pretty much done everything as described in that doc file - but thanks, at least I know i've done everything correctly now!

I now have a blank HDD of the same size and kind - so where do I begin now!?

The screen displays....
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249208-31-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-press-enter)

pepper38_cnd
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
If you have tried every thing else I would try the Flash drive reload.
Also when you tried your install make sure you used "installer.vbs" not "installer.exe"

pajeroid
07-24-2009, 08:59 AM
OK Pepper - that sounds like it could work - but I need the USB Flash Tool CD to boot from. Do you know where I can get it from?

pepper38_cnd
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Send me an email I'll send you a YouSendIt link. info@iuresets.com

pajeroid
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Right, just to keep you all updated.....

I've tried the USB Flash Tool and got a bit further - it did try and boot from the USB drive, but then hung at the same point as my initial problem (Uncompressing Linux.....................Ok, booting the kernel.)

But this time it reboots after about 7 seconds.

I'm now trying to format the HDD as i'd installed a version of Linux onto it (why, i'm not quite sure - but at least I know the HDD functions OK).

I had to burn the USB Flash CD at a low speed (8x) as when I burnt it at 24x it came up with an error (err 2).

pajeroid
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Right well after fully formatting the HDD for about 4 hours.... It still does the above.

Boots from the USB Drive fine - but then just reboots. I'm going to try and find another USB Flash drive and try that next.

time2fly
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
did you low level format the drive? It shouldn't take 4 hours to format, maybe to system software. Try low level formatting the drive, go to this site to get the free software. I've used this to salvage many HDD and to use bigger drives in the fiery's.

HDDGURU: Laptop and Desktop Hard Disk Drives, Tests, Software, Firmware, Tools, Data Recovery, HDD Repair (http://hddguru.com/)

RyanPacific
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Just a thought here. When you open the case to the IC-402 look for a jumper near the system battery and CMOS ROM chip and see if there is a way to reset the unit (usually it will say 'RST' next to it). I have done this on quite a few controllers from EFI and some Toshiba stuff i.e. GL-10x0 and I have had fantastic results. After you try this if it still does not work pull the memory out of the Fiery and run a memory test on it. You will need to install the memory in a compatible device with a CDROM boot capability. Use Memtest86, you can get it here: Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic (http://www.memtest86.com/). If there is a ton of errors replace the memory.

pajeroid
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I've had a look inside and theres no reset jumper - only a CMOS reset which i've already tried. The only other jumper is an intrusion detection jumper which I presume is unused.

I've run a memory test for 2 hours and no errors were found with Memtest 86.

I've also tried the low level format which finished successfully.

I've ordered a USB Drive that was recommended in that word document above to see if that is the problem because my USB Drives are dirt cheap ones.

It still just turns off after about 30 seconds with the display reading....

Uncompressing Linux.............Ok, booting the kernel.

Herrmann
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM
As next step, i would try a "Knoppix" CD and look, if the system comes to live.
Did you already replaced the hd?

pajeroid
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Right - Just come back off of holiday so hence the delay!

Still no joy with this thing - I can run a live version of linux from a CD drive but anything to do with the fiery will not boot.

Could this be the fiery pci card itself?

I've swopped out the memory and still no joy.

Nic
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Good afternoon. You managed to run the Fiery? if so - how? I have the same problem. Thanks.

shathom
12-27-2019, 05:04 AM
Send me an email I'll send you a YouSendIt link. info@iuresets.com
Hi
Do you have IC-415 controller software?
Thanks

Phil B.
12-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Hi
Do you have IC-415 controller software?
Thanks

thread has been dead 9 years