View Full Version : C353 NIC losing network connection

Custom Search

bsm2
07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
got a c353 that will intermitt lose network connection, power cycle machine
and network connection is restart.

buster68
07-24-2009, 01:41 PM
IP address conflicts will cause the machine to go offline. Rebooting the copier will bring it back until there is activity on the device that shares the IP address, then the copier will go offline again.

IKy
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
we had this problem with c252 and it was solved by only one of the last firmware (even "special", "mass" didn't help)

bsm2
08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
what is the most current firmware level

IKy
08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I use R5-R6 for this models and don't have such problem

konisolver
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Is the unit connected to a cisco switch? If it is lock the port switch from auto to 10 half-duplex. It could be the smart switch dropping the connection for non-activity. No firmware will correct the problem. Some newer bizhubs dont like the smart switches, it could be a combination of switch fw and copier nic.

bsm2
08-09-2009, 07:45 PM
don't know the type of switch they had a ricoh connected with no problems

now the c353 locks up and you have to power cycle to restore the network connections

abilashvk
08-10-2009, 03:54 AM
friend,
Hope you can PING the NIC of C353 while NW printing is lost.If so,only then disable HDD of 353 & try.Also may be the memory is corrupt,then perform a data/memory clear from tec.rep mode. if that also doesn't serve then try a NVRAM-NIC Firm ware upgrade& mfp controller FW upgrade.
regards,
abilash

pepper38_cnd
08-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Does this by any chance have the bio-metric device attached, we stopped selling them because they caused so many wierd problems manly NIC lock ups.

bsm2
08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
no bio device
plain jane only has fax card and Adf

HDGH
08-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Did you ever resolve this issue? If so how? I am having the same problem on 4 of these.
They work fine if we power cycle them. But then within hours they will lose the connection again. We lose printing, network scanning and the ability to access via the web interface, but can still ping successfully. There are no duplicate IP's on the network.

bsm2
08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
We changed IP address not a duplicate, we guessed that the old print drivers and fax driver would lock our machine up. Once we changed ip address no problems.

Stirton.M
08-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Did you ever resolve this issue? If so how? I am having the same problem on 4 of these.
They work fine if we power cycle them. But then within hours they will lose the connection again. We lose printing, network scanning and the ability to access via the web interface, but can still ping successfully. There are no duplicate IP's on the network.

In cases where you lose connection on several machines, the most likely culprit will be the firmware level of the machine needs to be updated, assuming the firmware level is anything but R5 or R6.

If the firmware is at R5 or R6, the likelyhood that the machines themselves are at fault is considerably reduced, given that the odds of all 4 failing in the same manner is pretty low, based on personal experience.

Areas to look...first, on all the machines, ensure the IP address given to each machine is well outside the range of the network DHCP assigned addresses. For example, most routers like DLink or Cisco brands, will start giving out addresses at 192.168.XXX.100 and up, (where X is the unique number to your network). Generally, I will assign the address of the copiers to use addresses below that range, like 192.168.XXX.99 and so forth. In cases where the IT may have used a very unique address for their own needs, I will adjust accordingly to ensure I am outside any possible range that may cause conflict with other computers on the network. The IT would more likely provide an address for you in those cases.

In some cases, the IT can assign specific addresses to the copiers via DHCP using the MAC address. This typically ensures from an IT stand point, that the address given on a DHCP group is reserved for a specific machine and will never be given to another computer.

If the address conflict has been ruled out, the next logical step would be that there is a problem with the switch on the network. Many IT will be adamant that this is not the problem, but I have seen more often than not, a flakey switch can cause some wierd problems on the network. We carry a 40 port switch as a spare in the shop for troubleshooting issues like this. 40 port devices can be expensive, so this is not always practical for some shops, but it can eliminate problems like this. The high number of ports is in the event that the company you are servicing, they may have a switch with that many ports, so you may need to cover that in order to eliminate the switch. You will of course, need to interact with the IT on this.

And then, power. I am assuming you are speaking of 4x353 series. These machines, as well as other variants of that generation and newer can be very sensitive to poor power situations. Surges and sags can really wreak havoc on the behavior of the machine. As a rule, my office will not sell a machine without an ESP power conditioner to go with it. The power conditioner is an elaborate surge protection device...actually, it is better than a surge protector...it has electronics inside that filters out surges and sags and keeps the power relatively stable for the machine downstream. If the machine is not receiving stable power, the machine may behave erratically. Though truth be told, 4 machines doing the same thing like yours is highly unlikely in that instance. Such situations would create random failures in the machines. This also includes situations where power may not be adequate for the machine. Typically they should be on a dedicated circuit for each machine, and not sharing with each other, or other electrical appliances that would require a lot of power, like a shredder, refridgerator or something along that line.

And finally, power setting in Administrator mode. The machine has settings for power saving. It also has a sleep mode along with that. As a rule, we will disable "Sleep Mode" completely, and let it use low power strictly by itself based on any user timing you want, from 15 minutes to 240 minutes. Sleep mode has been known to be an issue, disabling it can resolve some network drops.

Custom Search