PDA

View Full Version : Min. Di251f-WTF?? Very strange problem?

Custom Search

mjunkaged
08-07-2009, 03:26 AM
Okay, I'm a 22+ year tech, and am factory trained on the NEC version of both Minolta Di250/350 and 251/351's . I have read both brand's service manuals cover to cover more than once.
First time I have seen this one.
This one's a Di251f. The 'f' is important.
When you copy on the glass, everything's fine. BUT:
when you lay a letter size, short-edge feed original on the glass (ADFR is fine) , it only scans 5.5 inches and then goes home! This ONLY Happens with this ONE SIZE, and ONLY in fax or scan to ftp modes! Copy mode scans it fine!!
I'm thinking partly blown fax board or the little rom board that comes with it?
Anyone seen this before?

Scott_Lewis
08-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Before you try all that, you might want to try an F7. (Original size calibration)

mjunkaged
08-07-2009, 06:12 AM
I did try that, but not 100% sure I cycled power immmediately after per the SM.
I'm not clear if I'm supposed to exit out as usual and then cycle power, or to just IMMEDIATELY cycle it.
I was also toying with the idea of shutting down, disconnecting the battery and the MFB2 (I think it's called, mistakenly referred to it as tne 'nrom' in my post-oops!)
and seeing if it clears any 'glitched' setting that may be present. I also seem to recall there may be a 'hard reset' jumper onthe fax board.
It's such a minor problem, I'm guessing the customer will just live with it/ work around it if a fax board or the other board that gets installed is needed.
Can't find the install instructions for the fax option and haven't done it in a long while, used to swap them around practically weekly.
BTW, do you have any idea what the F7-2 does? It's not in my manual?
Thanks.

pepper38_cnd
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I would not recommend playing with batteries on NVRAM boards, unless you like headaches. Look at SW423 bit 3?

mjunkaged
08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Scott:
I did indeed check that mode/bit, as I said, I pored through the minolta manual's entire list of softswitches for a clue. But i believe you may be on the right track with the F7-1.
However, I've never actually done it. So, do I power off as soon as the print button turns green (about 1 sec. after execution), or do I press the enter/exit buttons to exit out of the function screen first before I power off? Or does it matter?
According to my SM: execute function 7-1, when it's finished, start turns green, then power off. So, immediately?
Also, could this have happened from prior tech. executing F7 with a statement wide original instead of the required 11x17 original?? Weird thing is, it 'sees' alll other sizes in fax/scan mode, and sees even Letter SEF in copy mode.

Scott_Lewis
08-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Sorry about the slow response. I don't hang out here much any more. Focusing on the Ricoh machines at the moment.

Just turn the main power switch off after the start lamp turns green.

Don't remember what the the F7-2 was for. I'm not surprised at having to run an F7 now and again. If you think about it, those sensors are discriminating white against white.

mjunkaged
08-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Is it normal for the process to only take 1/2 second and the scanner to move a tiny amount? Just seems stupid/weird to me. But a working machine (same model) does the same! SO, that's a yes, perfectly normal, right?
Sorry if I'm being a brick!
Mitch
Rockin Repair

mjunkaged
08-15-2009, 06:44 AM
I did indeed try it both ways the day after my post, so I guess I'm stuck with borrowing/swapping boards? I've already had the rear cover(s) off looking for bad connections, and made sure the boards/connections were all fully seated with one another, as the pwb-a is behind the mfb, etc.
The reason I'm thinkin fax board is because the copy mode never does it.
First I'll look for a hard reset on the board (after backing up and printing lists). I'll let ya know if i was able to clear it that way.
Doing the resets (other than a total clear which clears a bunch of stuff you don't want cleared) through the touch panel/side switch were not effective.

buster68
08-17-2009, 04:23 PM
since it only happens when you fax/scan to ftp, I would check the web connection for the controller. In admin mode, make certain the default scan/fax size setting hasn't been changed; had a customer change the default settings once and got some weird results.

Scott_Lewis
08-18-2009, 03:57 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as buster68......

Have you checked out the "Quality & Reduction", "Reduction Area" settings when you have an original on the glass and have selected a destination and are about to hit START?

Similar thing with the address book (make that one touches in Di speak) .... look at the transmission settings for the destination

mjunkaged
08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
FIXED!! It's a self-inflicted problem........ (don't I feel DUMB!) .......if you turn on 'original size detection under 'system input' and cycle power, then you'll NEVER scan another letter-r on your glass until you turn it BACK OFF, and CYCLE POWER !!!!!!
Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot! Or having a prev. tech.. do it FOR YOU!!

Peace.......

Tom
08-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Yes, I just had the same problem, and felt like a dumbass too. I should tell you, though, I had a similiar problem awile back & it turned out to be the univesal tray set to ohp and not normal. Apparantly, it overides the original sensors when using it that way. weird/
A

Custom Search