PDA

View Full Version : here's a weird one...

Custom Search

doomblack
08-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I use MS pubilsher mail merge function to add numbers from an excel document to number raffle tickets, 50-50's or whatever.
I use a bizhub c500 and a bizhub c450. The way publisher sends the document is in waves of ten entries from the excel file.
For some reason the C500 receives the information ALOT slower than the 450 and they are both on the same network and literally right next to each other. In fact the C500 makes my computer lock up and will not print a numbered file on occasion, which is strange because the c500 is ussually double as fast as the 450 in printing and recieving information, not a big deal, but any insight is appr. ?

fixthecopier
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I know this is totally different machines, but we just had a di200 that was taking 3to 4 minutes to print and the printer next to it would print instantly. Problem was print controller.

08-15-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm assuming that you drivers and firmware levels are all current so I will go to the next thing I would try.

Generally you can easily cut-n-paste out of publisher and into word so can you possibly recreate the job in Word and see what results you get. Publisher is notorious for strange printing issues.

mrwho
08-15-2009, 01:57 AM
A couple of things you can try:

- Convert to PDF (either using Office 2007 plugin for the effect or using a generic Print-to-PDF virtual printer) and then print from the PDF;

- Try to modify your C500 port config: if you're printing via SMB, change to Standard TCP/IP port, and vice versa. Also, if you're using Standard TCP/IP, change from RAW/9100 to LPR/Print and vice-versa.

Good luck!

random
08-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Being a c500 you will undoubtably be printing to a Fiery? If you haven't already you shoud install command workstation and see what is happening on the fiery. This will atleats indicate if this a spool problem or a processing problem.

I have had this problem recently and it ended up being a port problem. If you are printing via LPR untick byte counting, fixed mine.

doomblack
08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm assuming that you drivers and firmware levels are all current so I will go to the next thing I would try.

Generally you can easily cut-n-paste out of publisher and into word so can you possibly recreate the job in Word and see what results you get. Publisher is notorious for strange printing issues.

well thats good to know, but the reason i do it in publisher is because the mail merge auto number feature for something like a raffle tickets that are eight up is very easy to do. One thing i forgot to mention was that in any software that I use( adobe cs2, quarkxpress, ms office, ect) the 500 always seems to recieve the file faster than the 450, and yes all the firmware and everything is up-to-date

Custom Search