PDA

View Full Version : Falcon driver

Custom Search

cmpelser
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
I've got a customer, new installation (3 weeks old)
He has just finnished setting up a few hundred users\workstations using docbox and job accounting etc.
He has found a problem with certain users that send print jobs to their docboxes, some of the files they print have got the same file name,and when they send it to the printer, the printer will overwrite the previous job with that file name!
It is apparently because the is no "Time Stamp" put on the print job, so the printer thinks its the same thing and overwrites the "old" one!!!

Someone from our head office said, he needs to update the printer driver.
Now the BIG question!!!
Is he going to loose all those settings in everyones driver (docbox, job accounting etc.)
I don't know exactly how he setup the drivers on all the workstations, all I know is that he runs a script from the server, or something like that, i'm not too sure how that works...

Anyone with help out there???

08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
You shouldn't loos that stuff during a firmware upgrade but "stuff" does happen. There is a simulation you can run to backup and restore all that info to a USB memory stick. I think it is u419 but I'm not sure.

cmpelser
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
No it's not a firmware issue i'm asking about. It's the settings on the users workstations , default print settings etc. When changing the printer driver (kx driver new version.)
The users have all been setup independantly with job accounting etc.
So how do you install the new version kx driver without loosing those settings?

Absurd
08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
run a test in your office to see if it looses all that info when you do a upgrade or software replacement versus a delete and fresh install. im betting you wont loose info on the upgrade but you probably will on the fresh install especially if you use the driver deleter to uninstall.

blackcat4866
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
If you just update the driver to version 4.4.0403 your document boxes should be OK. If you delete the old driver then setup from scratch, yes, your boxes will vanish in the driver, but the boxes on the HDD remain intact. If your customer is using KM Net Viewer it expedites the setup process, but if you've got hundreds it will be a lot of work.

For me? I'd try the update first.

On a pertinent topic, Does your customer share out the driver on the server? If so, updating the driver on the server will revert all the endusers drivers to the default. For example, if an enduser has defaulted to his VMB or private print, it will go back to whatever default the IT dept selects (usually "prompt for VMB"). My customer that does this is constantly fiddling with adding or subtracting a box/a user here & there, and each time the driver defaults revert for hundreds of users. The IT dept understands, but the endusers get kinda pissy about having to reselect thier defaults daily.

Custom Search