PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Jamming of Cardstock in C6501

Custom Search

resolute
09-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I have an OCE CS665 (KM 6501) for 2 months. We have a crazy amount of jams when feeding card stocks.

My default card is a 280gsm Productolith 12PT C2S 13 x 19 (330 x 485mm) . It jams every 20 sheets - if im lucky - running in the bypass. We are cleaning the feed tires with rubber renew. I've also tried a 10PT C2S - 250gsm -- running in tray 3 -- it jams -- i cant even duplex 1 sheet without jamming. I've tried other stocks -- still issues. Jams on anything more than 200 gsm coated.

Its driving my production manager crazy. I've talked to the techs -- and they keep asking if my paper is in spec -- which it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions. We've cleaned the roll tires.. the techs keep changing the feel tires. We've only put 100000 clicks on the machine they have replaced the tires more than 5 times and we are having to clean with rubber renew every 15 minutes of running time. Its CRAZY!!!!!

Thanks

random
09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
If you bought this machine without a PF unit or an LCT then you are completely insane. The bypass tray is like an appendix, it serves no purpose, and evolution has left it there. Your techs can change tyres until the cows come home it will not reliably feed from the bypass period.

Don’t bag the tech cause the purchaser decided to cut corners, for the downtime this will cause the LCT would have well paid for it self.

If you insist on sticking with the bypass my only suggestions is to place some sort of weight on the pickup roller.

resolute
09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Not "bagging" the tech... The tech has tried everything. We are not only having issues from bypass ... But from trays too... I would gladly purchase an lct if it would work - and solve the problem. Still it doesn't explain the issues from the main trays --- or are those trays appendages too?

buster68
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
the 3 trays on the main body and the bypass tray are ideal for feeding plain paper, can feed some heavier stocks, but not reliably, esp. over a long period of time.

The LCT does a bit better with thicker stocks, but I would highly recommend purchasing the PFU. Its a work horse of a paper feed unit.
As with feeding any thick stocks of paper, the feed tire life will be cut in half or more on any tray you decide to get or use.

Marsh2
09-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Yes i agree the bypass looks nice and folds up and down but to use it then it nots going to make you life easy. The LCT is the only way to go and actually the larger dual paper trays are even better and they even hide that bypass so you can see or use it again.

dudley
09-07-2009, 05:41 AM
first off , throw that damn rubber renew away, it will totally screw the feed tires and make them brittle. I use GooGone as it isn't as hard on the rollers. Also make sure that the rollers after the feed rollers are clean(access from the bottom of the adu. If you have used rubber renew on these, they are probably screwed. The rollers in a copier are not the same as a press
GooGone Goo Gone 4oz Bottle (http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/product/c7f8659a-40a3-412c-9f1c-03108e6a30db.aspx)

There is an adjustment for the seperation roller pressure , if you increase the pressure it will help a little( 2 brackets thet the seperation springs attach. Then go to a hobby shop and ask for dubro stick on weights for balancing rc airplanes or a tire shop for stick on tire weights and add about 1/4 to 1/2 oz on the top of the take up rollor frame to give more pressure on the take up roller. You may have to adjust the spring pressure that is used to raise the feed roller back up(its the screw in the slotted hole to the rear of the tire assembly)

Also make sure of the grain of the stock, it should be flexable in the feed direction. If you are getting cut then make sure that its the right direction. Give the machine a fighting chance(we went through hell on one account only to find that it was the wrong direction)

random
09-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Just one word of caution. Don't put too much weight on the pickup roller. I did this once, worked great but I put so much weight on the pick-up roller could not retract and the ADU could'nt be pulled out, hilariouse.

dudley
09-07-2009, 06:30 AM
Ya been there done that one, 1/4 to 1/2 oz is about all you can do, If you get the dubro weights then 2 of the squares is the max you can use

texchar555
09-15-2009, 06:23 AM
:cool:RESOLUTE, WHERE ARE THE JAMS HAPPINING? DOES IT EVEN MAKE IT TO THE REGISTRATION ROLLERS? I HAD ALMOST THE SAME ISSUE, IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE ENTRANCE METAL GUIDE BEFORE THE PRE REG ROLLERS WAS BENT UP AND THE RUBBER ROLLER WERE NOT TOUCHING THE PLASTIC ROLLERS ON TOP. SIMPLE TEST PULL ADU OUT AND TURN THE ROLLERS ON THE FAR RIGHT.

Si@danwood
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Tex is quite right although he doesnt need to shout about it:rolleyes:(switch caps off next time bro)..Si

Setright
09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Tex has it. I expect that a normal sporadic jam occured and during recovery the card stock was pulled out and bent the plate upward. This leads to the consistent jamming you are experiencing now.

Card stock is defined by weight, but we should really create a stiffness index for it too. One 160gram paper might be stiffer than another brand/type in 250grams.

The double LCT, cassette 4&5, will doubtless make your life much easier, but stiff cardstock will always jam more often than paper.

kan
09-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I stand to be corrected, but I am sure that these rollers are not even used when paper is fed from the bypass.

The person that is complaining that putting too much weight on the bypass roller will not allow the ADU to open:

Dudley mentioned correctly if additional weights are used 'You may have to adjust the spring pressure that is used to raise the feed roller back up(its the screw in the slotted hole to the rear of the tire assembly)'

BVulgaris
01-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Is there a way to adjust the bypass tray guides? (not the guides attached to the ADU that pulls out). When looking at the top and bottom guides where the paper goes vs. the guides that pull it into the main paper path and reg rollers they dont quite line up and there is room for the paper to crash into the upper secondary guide. New rollers are on, checked that the plate mentioned in earlier posts were not bent. But if 256gsm stock were to buckle on the top part of the second set of guides i could see where the rollers would skip on the paper and throw a J-1709. It also seems that the frame/rails must be at an angle because the bottom guides where the paper from the trays feed into the main engine scrape along the bottom of the frame when the ADU drawer is pulled out or put back in.... you can hear the scraping metal.

dudley
01-16-2013, 01:31 AM
Is there a way to adjust the bypass tray guides? (not the guides attached to the ADU that pulls out). When looking at the top and bottom guides where the paper goes vs. the guides that pull it into the main paper path and reg rollers they dont quite line up and there is room for the paper to crash into the upper secondary guide. New rollers are on, checked that the plate mentioned in earlier posts were not bent. But if 256gsm stock were to buckle on the top part of the second set of guides i could see where the rollers would skip on the paper and throw a J-1709. It also seems that the frame/rails must be at an angle because the bottom guides where the paper from the trays feed into the main engine scrape along the bottom of the frame when the ADU drawer is pulled out or put back in.... you can hear the scraping metal.

first thing to check are the screws for the ADU drawer rails where they attach to the main frame. The best way is to remove the fuser and the whole adu. Then tighten all the screws for the rails. I have had some of them take 6 turns to tighten them, This causes sagging of the adu and misalignment of the adu. It can also cause crocked copies. we are also starting to see loos screws in the C6000/7000 and C8000. We are going to start using blue loctite on them.

Custom Search