PDA

View Full Version : Gift Certificate problem

Custom Search

Jules Winfield
09-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Ok, I received this gift certificate from my brother-in-law for this boutique-type music store (you know, guitars, drums and stuff) for $20. So I went through every isle twice looking for a gig bag for my acoustic or something else that costs around $20. This place is ridiculously expensive to say the least. It becomes obvious that there is nothing in this place for $20 that I would want. $20 would go 3 times as far at Guitar Center. Instead of going up to the counter and seeing if they would just give me the cash, I leave and call them from home (I'm a non-confrontational kind of guy). I explained my situation to two different employees there and was told (in a very snotty tone) that not only would they not cash out the gift certificate, but they wouldn't give back any change (would have to be store credit). So, basically a donation was made to the music store "charity" in my name. Here's my question. Am I the asshole here or are they? If it's just me I can accept that, but I think it's wrong of them to force you to either buy their over-priced crap or just give them free cash by not buying anything. I can't regift it either because it's hand written with my name and everything. I don't know, what do guys think?

prntrfxr
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
1. Do you play an instrument?
2. Do they sell sheet music?

You might be able to extend your current library of sheet music and learn some new songs. I know its kind of lame, but why should they make the money while you get nothing.

kyoceradude
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I would ask for the owner and make mention that you post on many bulletin boards, some that go around the world and would have no problem mentioning that their way of doing business is unacceptable and you believe that he can work out something acceptable to both parties.:D

Jules Winfield
09-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I would ask for the owner and make mention that you post on many bulletin boards, some that go around the world and would have no problem mentioning that their way of doing business is unacceptable and you believe that he can work out something acceptable to both parties.:D

Look, I'm not trying to blackmail the store owner or anything, I just wanted him to do the right thing and be a decent human being. Anyways, I think I may have the solution...

Update:
My wife called them and asked about their return policy. Apparently, they will give cash back on returns as long as it's not sheet music or any kind of instrument that you put in your mouth and unopened. So what I'm going to do is walk in there, buy something returnable for as close to $20 as possible and walk out. I'll then hand the item and receipt to my wife who will walk in, return it and get the cash. I would do that part myself, but like I said, I'm non-confrontational. My wife, on the other hand, loves that kind of stuff.

kyoceradude
09-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't think of it as blackmail, just do the right thing.

schooltech
09-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I would hope that a gift certificate purchase doesn't "code" the receipt with some red-flag so that when she goes back in to get cash, your return is not allowed.

If not, then you've found a little loop-hole to do what you need to do.

I've always wondered why someone gives a gift certificate for a place where it's extremely expensive to buy anything. The gesture is nice, but it's tough to make it work sometimes. My in-laws like to give me gift certificates to the Home Depot, so I can make it stretch a bit further. At least they know I like to go there anyway, so that helps.

Jules Winfield
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I would hope that a gift certificate purchase doesn't "code" the receipt with some red-flag so that when she goes back in to get cash, your return is not allowed.

If not, then you've found a little loop-hole to do what you need to do.

I've always wondered why someone gives a gift certificate for a place where it's extremely expensive to buy anything. The gesture is nice, but it's tough to make it work sometimes. My in-laws like to give me gift certificates to the Home Depot, so I can make it stretch a bit further. At least they know I like to go there anyway, so that helps.

I know why. My brother-in-law is just lazy. Him and I have been playing music together for fun ever since we were teenagers. He knows that a gift certificate to Guitar Center would go much, much farther, but that store he went to is 3 or 4 blocks away from his house. Lazy...

Jules Winfield
09-04-2009, 01:38 AM
1. Do you play an instrument?
2. Do they sell sheet music?

You might be able to extend your current library of sheet music and learn some new songs. I know its kind of lame, but why should they make the money while you get nothing.

Yes and yes, guitar and drums.

I can get sheet music for free. Google is a wonderful thing...

Custom Search