PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 250 Scanning setup problem

Custom Search

mspaku
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am not a copy tech. I am the "office IT guy". We have a Minolta Bizhub 250. I am trying to or want to set it up to be a scanner on a local PC. Is this even possible? I have installed the Twain Driver that I down loaded from the Minolta site, but the PC does not see it, it only will see it as a local printer. I havel also tried intalling Omni page and that to will work. When trying to set the thing up to scan directly to email the menu on the copier is missing the SMTP authentication and password entry.(It will not allow you to enter it). So therefore the scan to email will not work. Does anybody have a work around for this or a fix? Thanks for the help.

Mark :confused:

jneezy2008
09-15-2009, 01:59 PM
SMTP Authentication is disabled by default and must be enabled through the Soft switches.

Scan to SMB and scan to User Box are my preferred methods of scanning. Have you had any luck with either?

mrwho
09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
If you're trying to use it as a USB scanner (since you mention scanning to a local PC and TWAIN driver), I believe that you can't. It will only scan via its network card.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

mspaku
09-15-2009, 05:44 PM
jeezy2008,

Thanks for the reply. No, have not scanned to SMB or to user box, because I do not know what they are. How do you set the switches on the copier to enable SMTP Authentication? My boss has a lot of documents that need to be scanned and saved to a PDF file, that is what we want to do. We are currently using a USB Desk top scanner, but it is to slow and that is why the copier came into mind.

Thanks for the help,

Mark

jneezy2008
09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
While I can't help with the Soft Switch I can tell you that you'll need NC-4 and SU-2 or SU-3 for scanning.

Scan to SMB:
You'll need the following:
The copier connected to your network.
Properly configured network settings on the 250(DNS, Gateway, etc).
The hostname of the destination computer.
At least one shared folder on said computer(permissions must be configured correctly). I typically give Everyone Full Control.
The file path to the shared folder on said computer(ie: \\host\path).

Login to PageScope(the web interface of the 250).
Click Scan => click --- => select TX: PC(SMB) => click Next.
Type a name in the One-Touch Name field(can be anything, it's just a label for identifying the destination at the 250 control panel).
Type the IP address or the hostname of the destination computer.
Type the file path. If you created a folder called Scans on the root of your local disk then you would just type SCANS for File Path. I do recommend typing the host name and the file path all in CAPS.
Enter a username and password that have permission to write to the shared folder(if any).
Select your desired File Type.
Click Apply.

You're best friend for troubleshooting is going to be the job log on the 250. It will tell you if the scan job has failed or succeeded. If the scan job fails then the log will tell you why(Server connection error, login error, etc).

mspaku
09-15-2009, 08:04 PM
jeezy2008,

Thanks for the advice and instructions. I will give it a try and let you know if I am successful. I hope that I am.

Mark :)

OBXtech
09-15-2009, 09:33 PM
If none of that works for you, then I would try setting up FTP scanning. It requires a utility to be downloaded (it may have even come on the CD that came with the machine) and installed on each PC that you want to scan to. The utility must be running in the background at all times to receive scans. You can do all the setup through WebConnection and the FTP Utility Settings.

Hansoon
09-15-2009, 10:08 PM
I can tell you that you'll need NC-4 and SU-2 or SU-3 for scanning. I believe that applies only to the Di-2510, 3510 series.

The Bizhubs have everything onboard for FTP and SMB scanning. SMB scanning is extremely easy to set up and works really good as long as the IP-Addresses are static and permissions are set properly.

Hans

copytechman
09-16-2009, 02:45 AM
I concur, I use SMB generally whenever I can and then goto email (but without authentication usually) all built into the bh250 series...

Regards!
A.

moonwalker3778
09-16-2009, 05:52 AM
@ mspaku,

hi follow the SMB method, that was the best option, if u wanna do twain scanning u must have HDD in the machine then only u can do twain scanning via network port,USb cable is just for printing.

pepper38_cnd
09-17-2009, 12:28 PM
mspaku I realize you are the IT guy and probably a good one. As mentioned here there are many ways to set up scanning. If your machine is equipped for it I would use the IPscanner utility and the Extra scan button as it requires no set up on the machine it is all done at the work station. Having said that my advise to you is call your local KM dealer and have a tech out to set it up for you. Most techs are more than willing to share their knowledge and let you look over their shoulder while they work. While the tech is there ask him to set the SW so your machine doesn't call for drum change and you will get an extra 20K to 40K out of that, it will be well worth the $100 you pay for the service call.

Custom Search