PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 6500 / Oce CS6xx Skew Info!

Custom Search

Setright
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Hello all!

I know that I am not the only one who isn't completely satisfied with the duplex alignment on these machines.

I found out that "Side 2 Lens Adjustment" must be switched on for the "Both Sides" chart adjustment to work in duplex mode. The chart with "cut marks" on all four corners.

It's hidden under the Machine Admin, Common Setting menu. Switching it on has improved the alignment from front to back considerably.

It is claimed to reduce productivity, but I couldn't sense any loss in print speed.

Stirton.M
10-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Hello all!

I know that I am not the only one who isn't completely satisfied with the duplex alignment on these machines.

I found out that "Side 2 Lens Adjustment" must be switched on for the "Both Sides" chart adjustment to work in duplex mode. The chart with "cut marks" on all four corners.

It's hidden under the Machine Admin, Common Setting menu. Switching it on has improved the alignment from front to back considerably.

It is claimed to reduce productivity, but I couldn't sense any loss in print speed.

I've used this on occasion myself. It helps when you have one corner out of alignment relative to the other 3.

If you are having skew issues, check the machine against trays 1-3 for duplex. If you are experiencing skew from those, check the entrance rollers on the ADU for even pressure. Sometimes the users will pull the ADU out to clear a jam but a sheet is stuck in that path. The paper usually bunches up in the back side, spreading the metal guides apart, which in turn creates an uneven pressure on the rollers. I look at the shaft of the idle roller, where it is held in by two metal shafts at either side. I look to ensure that there is a small gap under that shaft relative to the holes it rides in. If there is no gap, usually on the rear side, you will likely get some skew as a result, especially on small stock.

Also make sure your rollers are all clean and fresh rubbery...standard fair stuff. Make sure the turnover gate is clean of toner buildup. Check the transfer belt to ensure it is square. I've found a couple where the frame wasn't solid secure. To know what I mean, place the belt with the kickstand on a flat surface. If you see flex ripples diagonally in the belt to drum side, this is not good. Find a flat area to lay the frame down level, loosen the screws on both sides of the frame, once they are all loose, tighten them back up when the unit is square flat. Also, inspect the bearings for the pressure roller. Those sometimes can slip out of their holds. Make sure the drum units are all fully seated too before you place the belt back.

Before sliding the ADU in, make sure the bottom duplex guide is fully locked upright. It can sometimes be partially unlocked on the front side, even when the ADU is pushed back in.

If you have a PF601, you need to level it properly relative to the machine. Severe skew can occur if it is not. There is a TSB related to this.

And a mod one customer had shown me...use a couple elastic bands tied end to end, make two sets, you can place these on the rear guide bar of the PF601 and stretch them toward to the feed roll side. On the front and rear registration guides, you can wrap the elastics on the tabs of the "envelope" guides. The idea being to push the paper towards the feed roll wall. It really helps with prefeed registration. The only drawback is that this is only effective for a stack of paper larger than 3/4 inch. Any less and the pressure tends to push the paper over the 45 degree angled guide and into the paper feed assy.

All of these methods I have used to much satisfaction, I can usually get within a 1mm skew tolerance front to back on 12x18. The machines are rated to 2mm tolerance.

And for the method you mentioned, this does help further reduce that margin of error.

As for reduction in performance, I do not think it has any effect either. Perhaps during the initial rendering of an image process in memory it effects this?

Setright
10-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Good points, I know most of them....especially the ADU entrance. Classic :D When I install a new machine, I always make sure the operators know to look for this...and not pull heavy stock out of there to fast and vertically up...surefire way to bend the plate.

I am travelling far away Monday morning, to visit a client with a stubborn skew problem, the elastic band and partially unlocked duplex will be on my list. Thanks :)

Setright
10-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Just noticed that you're in Calgary...if you see a blue Subaru Impreza with funny stickers on the trunk lid (Nurburgring and Spa) say "Hi" from Setright....

Stirton.M
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Just noticed that you're in Calgary...if you see a blue Subaru Impreza with funny stickers on the trunk lid (Nurburgring and Spa) say "Hi" from Setright....

I take it you are visiting??? Or did you move to cow town?

Custom Search