PDA

View Full Version : Help! Plugged new C650 in 20 amp &blew fuse

Custom Search

keystonenew
10-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Just bought C650 w/ only 500 clicks on it. We had a dedicated circuit for our old C500 (20 amp breaker) & my friend bent the prongs on the new C650 power cord to fit the outlet, not realizing the C650's power supply & cord is rated for 15 amp. Unit started to power up, but threw a code, we heard a "click" & it blew the small 5 amp fuse near the power supply. We installed a new fuse & it keeps blowing them. Does anyone know if it could be a simple fix or how we should proceed from here? Is there a circuit board we should check or?? The guy we bought it from , made a simple pigtail to plug into the outlet in his garage, & it ran fine, so I assume it was a basic 15 amp breaker that's in most homes. Thanks for any help.

blackcat4866
10-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Most circuits in modern buisness locations are wired as 20A circuits, even if the outlet is a 15A receptacle. In a home that's different. A 15A circuit is usually just a 15A circuit and cannot support a 20A draw, even as a dedicated line. The 20A rating is peak draw, and occasionally yes, your copier will draw peak amperage.

Bending the prongs was just a bad idea. If the receptacle you connected to was wired incorrectly your could have cooked a power supply or more.

Start with the electrican. Get yourself a true dedicated 20A circuit. Then have a tech take it from here. No simple fixes off the forum here.

keystonenew
10-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the input. The receptacle is fine & our C500's been plugged into it & running fine. We've got he power supply out & a tech friend is looking into his manual schematics for info. Is there a specific board or circuit/fuse, etc we shoud check?

Stirton.M
10-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the input. The receptacle is fine & our C500's been plugged into it & running fine. We've got he power supply out & a tech friend is looking into his manual schematics for info. Is there a specific board or circuit/fuse, etc we shoud check?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Your C500 is a 220 Volt machine.

You just fried your C550, which is a 120V input 20 AMP input, by forcing it to take 220V.

There is no telling what kind of damage may have happened to your machine, but I can guarantee you, it is serious. I can also guarantee you there will be no warranty because your friend was a STUPID IDIOT and bent the prongs on it to accommodate the different outlet.

The only thing I can recommend is call your nearest Konica Minotla service department and have a QUALIFIED technician look at it. There are no circuit diagrams available to the general public. I do not even have access to these. In all likelyhood, your power supply is toast, and quite possibly you may have taken with it a few other boards, including the PRCB/MFPB.

mascan42
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM

You just fried your C550, which is a 120V input 20 AMP input, by forcing it to take 220V.

There is no telling what kind of damage may have happened to your machine, but I can guarantee you, it is serious. I can also guarantee you there will be no warranty because your friend was a STUPID IDIOT and bent the prongs on it to accommodate the different outlet.

The only thing I can recommend is call your nearest Konica Minotla service department and have a QUALIFIED technician look at it. There are no circuit diagrams available to the general public. I do not even have access to these. In all likelyhood, your power supply is toast, and quite possibly you may have taken with it a few other boards, including the PRCB/MFPB.
This. I had a customer plug a Di650 into a mis-wired 220V outlet a few years ago, and it destroyed pretty much every board in the machine. With this customer, it luckily turned out to be the electrician's fault so they were able to push the bill off to them. In your case, since you plugged it in without checking to see what you were doing, even if you had a contract, you'd be getting a massive bill. Sorry.

copytechman
10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Dang! Thats a nasty! 220V into a 120v PS.. yeah if thats the case more than likely the power supply would have been taken out, and quite likely then some.. I don't have a c500 manual handy to verify the line voltage but that may be the case (20amp 120v has the perpendicular pin/plug on the opposite side to 220v, but they look very similar). Wish you luck and hope you didn't toast the machine.. only 500 clicks...

Regards!
A.

Edit: Verified see below:

Electrical Requirements for C650
Line options Dedicated NEMA Diagram for 5-20R
Voltage 110 V/120 to 127 V/
220 to 240 V AC) (I've only seen the 115V versions, if there's a 220v version the ps would be different (and your plug would have just "worked")
Amperage 16 A
Cycles 60
NEMA Part No. 5-20R
Cord Length 7.5 ft.

Electrical Requirements for C500
Line options: Dedicated NEMA Diagram for 6-20R
Voltage: 208-240V AC
Amperage: 1 17.6
Cycles: 60 Hz
NEMA Part No.: 6-20R
Cord Length: 10.5 ft.

Ouch.

RockETop
10-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Yup!

keystonenew
10-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info, even though its bad news. Guess we'll start w/ the power supply & have an electrician can diagnose & fix it. Maybe we got lucky & it didn't damage anything else..

keystonenew
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
A tech recommends calling Nationwide Board Repair & sending the power supply to them. Maybe I should send them the other board you mentioned as well. Is there anyone you can recommend that we send the PS to?

keystonenew
10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Just called HyTech board repair in FLorida & they work on Konica minolta. Their tech said its probably just the power supply & has rebuilt ones in stock, so one is being overnighted to us. Hopefully, it'll work & I sure appreciate this site & all your input, too. Will keep you posted.

Stirton.M
10-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Just called HyTech board repair in FLorida & they work on Konica minolta. Their tech said its probably just the power supply & has rebuilt ones in stock, so one is being overnighted to us. Hopefully, it'll work & I sure appreciate this site & all your input, too. Will keep you posted.

There are control signals that go from the power supply to other boards, like the printer control board, multifunction control board, C-board that possibly have been damaged as well. Unlike power line spikes that can sometimes transient through the PSU the odd time, this is something that quite likely damaged many other components throughout your machine. It all has to do with the voltage tolerance of those components. Doubling the voltage through the machine may have severely done damage to the voltage regulator circuits from the PSU, and that voltage, whatever it might have been, can wreak havoc elsewhere.

What I am saying is, do not be surprised if one of those other boards is indeed damaged and causes a feedback failure to your NEW PSU, taking that out yet again, or does further damage elsewhere. As I said, it is best to have a KM tech involved, they can remove the appropriate components and reinstall them for you, you can still have the third party do the repairs, or go through KM technical repair center. Not doing so may cost you a lot more in the long run.

keystonenew
10-28-2009, 02:33 AM
Installed the new power supply, ran a dedicated circuit w/ correct amperage, etc & it fired right up. Got code C3B04 & reset the machine & it appears to be up & running. Was sweatin bullets, so a $200 fix ain't too bad. Bet my friend will never do that again!

Stirton.M
10-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Wow....good show....

yer friend owes you a couple cases of beer I think.:cool:

keystonenew
10-28-2009, 05:45 PM
A beer awaits as soon as we get one more problem resolved. The fuser temp is fine, but we got a codeC3B02/3/4 code & cleared the code. Got full display, but the start button flashes orange & we can't copy anything. Called Hytec & tech says to reflash the firmware. Does that take a Konica rep to do that? We called a local repair company, but haven't heard back. Its a $160 service call to flash it, so that isn't bad, but they also said it could be a bad printer control board, but Hytec can't test a C650 board. Is there anyway we can reflash it ourselves? Any recoommendations are appreciated. Thanks for the help & Wish we could buy you a beer, too.

JSC
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
The Power supply to the fuser unit ( IH power supply ) and/or the fuser unit coil are shagged...:(

keystonenew
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
The Power supply to the fuser unit ( IH power supply ) and/or the fuser unit coil are shagged...:(

That's what I thought, & wanted to have Hytec overnite an IH power supply, but their tech said he's seen this scenario hapen & the firmware was the issue. I was going to try that first & then order the IH power supply. If we replace the fuser unit coil, do we have to replace the IH power supply, too? If the fuser temp is at operating temp & modulating correctly, could it still be the coil? How pricey are they & are they difficult to install? We do have a service repair manual on CD. Thanks.

JSC
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
but their tech said he's seen this scenario hapen & the firmware was the issue.

Well you could always try the firmware 1st as it would be the cheaper option, but given the history of this fault my money ( sorry i mean your money ) would be on the board.

The coil is located behind the fsr unit and the fsr power supply is below the ops panel and above the main on\off switch, not to bad to fit, but make sure you wire the ac connections correctly.

keystonenew
10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Well you could always try the firmware 1st as it would be the cheaper option, but given the history of this fault my money ( sorry i mean your money ) would be on the board.

The coil is located behind the fsr unit and the fsr power supply is below the ops panel and above the main onoff switch, not to bad to fit, but make sure you wire the ac connections correctly.

Thanks & found an older post w/ the link to the R5 Firmware upgrade, but its a Canadian version. Is that ok to download for our US C650?

JSC
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks & found an older post w/ the link to the R5 Firmware upgrade, but its a Canadian version. Is that ok to download for our US C650?

I don't see why the Canadian version should be any different from the US version.

keystonenew
10-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't see why the Canadian version should be any different from the US version.

I just tried to download the link from an earlier post for the firmware & its only an acrobat file & there's no software link.

Custom Search