PDA

View Full Version : Receive but can't send Faxes

Custom Search

paulterack
10-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Ok, I have a Bizhub 600 with FK-502 installed.

The machine can receive faxes no problem, but when we go to send a fax it says "dialing" and then just won't connect.

I'm not sure how I should make the settings or what the problem could be.

thanks

Stirton.M
10-30-2009, 07:59 AM
In Administrator (on copier), configure the fax option "Line Parameter Setting", option "Line Monitor Sound" turned to "On" and then back out completely.

Attempt an outgoing fax.

Common issues I have seen are usually shown up by this. You get an operator saying "this number cannot be completed as dialed" or a busy tone kind of sound, are the most common.

Outside line connection (where you dial 9) can be a problem as well, depending on the equipment used on site. In most cases, I recommend the customer insert a pause (P) after the 9, to allow the switchboard time to establish an outside connect before the number is dialed. This is also related to PBX/Outside line dialing in admin mode. Usually I leave this to the operator and do not set this parameter.

Short of those, other issues could be as simple as when the fax was first set up (was the fax parameters initialized when the fax was first installed according to setup instructions?), or basic connection to the line. Dialing method PB vs PBX/10pps. Simply changing this from one to the other and back again can correct some problems. Not obvious I know, but I have had that solve a couple issues.

We have also seen problems like this related to the connection. Is the customer using their own line (long extension)? Is this line a 2 or 4 wire conductor? Our equipment always ships with a two wire conductor, this is important. How was the connection at the wall port setup? Polarity is important, as well as which conductor lines were used there. Is the switchboard connection well?

Are there any splitters in line? I've found these to be totally unreliable even at the best of times.

Most of what I relayed here is what we can do ourselves. Beyond that, it could be switchboard related (usually in house IT), or the telco company needs to be involved for any possible errors on their side.

paulterack
10-30-2009, 08:58 AM
ok, I got it working. I switched from 20pps to 10pps and that did it.

to answer your questions though, it has 2 wire telco cable, fax was initialized etc.

thanks for your help.

what is the 10 pps or PB setting for anyway?
thanks

Stirton.M
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
ok, I got it working. I switched from 20pps to 10pps and that did it.

to answer your questions though, it has 2 wire telco cable, fax was initialized etc.

thanks for your help.

what is the 10 pps or PB setting for anyway?
thanks

That is for digital PBX telco systems. Most offices have their internal phone network on this type of thing, the phones on the line are digital, not analog. You cannot mix the two. Plug a digital phone into an analog line, you could fry the phone. Digital signals are DC voltages, whereas Analog are using much higher AC voltages. Our copiers are capable of both types of signals. Many offices have a separate analog line for the fax machine, and usually this is at the service provider level. There are some PBX systems that provide a couple 'analog' ports for this kind of thing in mind.

redhotrob
11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
"I switched from 20pps to 10pps and that did it."
"what is the 10 pps or PB setting for anyway?"

That setting is for old style phone lines.
Back long ago, before DTMF or push button phones, there was a rotary dial you would turn around with your finger to a different postion for each number. As the dail went back to it's starting position it would send a series of pulses on the phone line. The pps stands for pulses per second and long ago, 10 was the bacis standard.
I've olny seen it once over the years where I had to change the setting to 10 pps because the dtmf didn't work on a very low cost per month phone line.
It has nothing to do with analog or digital phone lines, but only how the dialing method is performed.

Custom Search