PDA

View Full Version : 7222 harddrives crashing on scan to pdf random

Custom Search

fishleg
11-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Had a few machines like this if you scan to tiff it will work all day long no problems but if you try the same but in pdf it will work only half the time. The other half will cause the machine to lock up and reboot after around 10 mins and then when the machines fires up it will try to reprocess the scan causing a loop forever unless its deleted.

We have tried...
Different printer, control board, latest firmware hdd fix, hdd format, different harddrives.

I cant think of what else it could be that we have not already changed. Is it a fault with the machine are they just not up to the task I would not of thought 20-50 pages in pdf would be much of a problem for it.

Thanks for any help.
Fishy

Stirton.M
11-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Select the scan quality from [600dpi], [400dpi], [300dpi] and [200dpi].
Below are the approximate number of pages of A4-size documents that can be scanned at one time with the standard memory (8 MB).

(below is a table showing document resolution vs types tiff and pdf)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Resolution
Document TIFF Pages PDF Pages
600dpi
Text only*1 approx. 24 approx. 16
With images*2 approx. 8 approx. 6
400dpi
Text only*1 approx. 44 approx. 29
With images*2 approx. 18 approx. 12
300dpi
Text only*1 approx. 67 approx. 44
With images*2 approx. 33 approx. 22
200dpi
Text only*1 approx. 119 approx. 79
With images*2 approx. 64 approx. 40

*1 When ITU-T fax chart No. 4 used
*2 When ITU-T fax chart No. 1 used
􀁺 If the volume of the scanned data exceeds the capacity of the memory, the job will be registered as an error.
􀁺 This limitation only applies if the optional hard disk is not installed. When the hard disk is installed, please refer to the
specifications page for further information on limitations.
(this part I tried to look up but could not find any specific reference in any user manual on this series)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check for available memory.

Also, try binary division. The user manual recommends this when memory overflow occurs.

fishleg
11-05-2009, 07:26 AM
What do you mean by binary division ? I cant seem to find it in the user manual or service where abouts have you seen it ?

Doesnt seem to exist on the 7222 I understand what you mean now I think but wouldnt that only effect scan to email. The way they scan is scan to hdd then use scantrip to retrieve the files.

Cheers,
Mike

mrwho
11-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Took this from the 7145 troubleshooting (which is a very similar machine), maybe it fits your problem?

DESCRIPTION: The machine locks up when performing scan to box/scan to FTP using PDF format and a 40GB hard drive is installed on the system.
CAUSE: System control firmware requires updating.

But you say you updated the firmware to the latest version, so I'm at a loss of what else you could do. Maybe try to downgrade the machine and see what happens?

Stirton.M
11-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Took this from the 7145 troubleshooting (which is a very similar machine), maybe it fits your problem?

DESCRIPTION: The machine locks up when performing scan to box/scan to FTP using PDF format and a 40GB hard drive is installed on the system.
CAUSE: System control firmware requires updating.

But you say you updated the firmware to the latest version, so I'm at a loss of what else you could do. Maybe try to downgrade the machine and see what happens?

The TSB on that series machine also has this fix recommended. Like you said, firmware was already looked at so I didn't list it as a fix. I am not entirely convinced this would solve it. I suspect it was able to scan before???:confused:

I am leaning towards a bad stick of ram at this point.

Or perhaps an initialize is in order. It might have gone stupid and merely needs a kick.

Stirton.M
11-06-2009, 12:10 AM
What do you mean by binary division ? I cant seem to find it in the user manual or service where abouts have you seen it ?

Doesnt seem to exist on the 7222 I understand what you mean now I think but wouldnt that only effect scan to email. The way they scan is scan to hdd then use scantrip to retrieve the files.

Cheers,
Mike

I think you are right, it may only affect email. If you web into the machine, it should be available under the email configuration outgoing section in the network area of Admin mode.

Scantrip? That a pagescope program? Or some third party program unrelated to KM?

And speaking of email, has this been tried at all? Just to see if the error is reproducible in that mode?

fishleg
11-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Cheers guys for all the help so far. I cant try scan to email its on a remote site from the server etc way too complex to set up for us on a network we have no access to at the client end.

I cant say for sure if it ever worked before as the machine only recently had a hdd installed and as for ram it does not have any extra memory just the standard on the board. I would of thought the machine would realise when it reaches its limit.

The hard drives are 40 gig drives I think of same spec as the konica ones. Do they only take certain ones and does anyone know what sorta specs ? We matched it up with a konica one so speed and size are the same.

The customer is just scanning to tiffs now which is working fine but I would love to know what causes the error as everyone just loves pdf :P. We use these machines alot for hires so scanning is nearly always a must any more ideas ?

Thanks again,
Fishy

Stirton.M
11-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Cheers guys for all the help so far. I cant try scan to email its on a remote site from the server etc way too complex to set up for us on a network we have no access to at the client end.

I cant say for sure if it ever worked before as the machine only recently had a hdd installed and as for ram it does not have any extra memory just the standard on the board. I would of thought the machine would realise when it reaches its limit.

The hard drives are 40 gig drives I think of same spec as the konica ones. Do they only take certain ones and does anyone know what sorta specs ? We matched it up with a konica one so speed and size are the same.

The customer is just scanning to tiffs now which is working fine but I would love to know what causes the error as everyone just loves pdf :P. We use these machines alot for hires so scanning is nearly always a must any more ideas ?

Thanks again,
Fishy

Because of shortages of the smaller drives and the highway robbery of these from KM supply routes, we buy locally replacement drives. Standard laptop drive....anything up to and including 120G.

Format the hard drive using low level.

Custom Search