PDA

View Full Version : KM 6501 Toner Buildup On Drum

Custom Search

cybanjax1969
11-10-2009, 12:33 PM
We have been having a problem with toner buildup on the drum and causing toner not to transfer to the sheet. The problem just keeps getting worse. The toner on the the drum leaves "reverse-streaking" (broken text). The drum has small dashes that run around it in 1-1.5cm long 1mm thick lines. We have been having the Tech out every other day to replace the drum. We are running @88,000 13x19 per week. Thats around 350,000 8.5x11 impressions. Is this normal wear and tear on the 6501? I havent run THAT many impressions on ANY color machine up til now.

RRodgers
11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Do you put drum powder on these prior to installing them? I would do that and see if it helps. There was a problem with the 6500's and blade flipping (never saw it) So might be some carry over from that. Is he running "blade setting mode" everytime one is installed?

brian155
11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
if it looks like thin light scratches in feed direction we have had the same a couple of times and only swoping the dev unit cured the problem reoccuring

Stirton.M
11-12-2009, 12:48 AM
We have been having a problem with toner buildup on the drum and causing toner not to transfer to the sheet. The problem just keeps getting worse. The toner on the the drum leaves "reverse-streaking" (broken text). The drum has small dashes that run around it in 1-1.5cm long 1mm thick lines. We have been having the Tech out every other day to replace the drum. We are running @88,000 13x19 per week. Thats around 350,000 8.5x11 impressions. Is this normal wear and tear on the 6501? I havent run THAT many impressions on ANY color machine up til now.

Can you provide some print samples scanned to pdf or jpg? Also, can you provide a picture of the drum issue you described?

Changing the drum every other day is not normal.

kmcopier
11-29-2009, 09:32 PM
there are special drums for this problem it start with a dot sticked on the drum and get's worse

Stirton.M
12-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Just had a thought. There is an ongoing issue regarding first generation drum units and cleaning blade failure. Either the blade would flip in on itself, or simply just not do its job and clean toner sticking to the surface.

There have been a couple generations of drum units since first release.

Get your tech to try part number A0400Y4, this is the latest series drum units that address these problems, along with a few other minor issues. The cleaning blade and springs to it have been modified accordingly. Thus far I have had no issues with this series.

SKTeK315
12-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Hey guys. In bh 600/750 the toner piling is caused by toner supply rate. The fix is soft/ dip switch in srvc mode (set dip switch 5-1 & switch 23-3 both to 1) that takes care of it.
What abou loud whistling noise out of process unit/Drum unit area & out of Mach cannot man rotate the drum. The blade holds it, no matter how much u prime the drum. New, not OEM blade & with orig blade. Only by changing process unit the noise stopped for like 2 or 3 weeks? Now it's worst than ever.
I have another Mach. with same problem. There I just lessend the tension till it stopped whistling.

dljorg
12-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Two things to do about the toner lines on the drums:
1. Dump the dev units and replace the developer. Whatever is getting on the drums is coming from there.
2. Assume that using 13 x 19 paper you have coated stock? If so suggest you change brands as a trial. Have experienced this at 4 other sites with similar usage patterns and the paper chemistry has been a factor. Am not mentioning paper brands here on purpose but there is a list available from KM of papers they have tested.

In the counter section of the service mode - what coverage percentages are there?

Like the idea of playing with the toner density a bit but typically print shop operations are critical about density.

As my Canadian friend notes there are new type drums out there so be sure you have the latest and greatest in this situation.

Best Regards from the snows of Connecticut

Custom Search