PDA

View Full Version : C6500/5500 service Tech Needed in O.C.

Custom Search

condor99
12-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Does anyone know of a good service tech in the Orange County, CA. area? That actually knows about the C6500/5500 models? I have had too many "certified techs" come out and they know nothing.

Thanks!

RRodgers
12-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Does anyone know of a good service tech in the Orange County, CA. area? That actually knows about the C6500/5500 models? I have had too many "certified techs" come out and they know nothing.

Thanks!

What do you need done? I am trained on that box.

random
12-04-2009, 07:56 AM
tells us your woes (and monthly volume) and maybe we can help.

condor99
12-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Got a few problems with both my C6500 and C5500.

The main problem on the C5500 is that running 12 x 18 100 # gloss book sheets through any tray, the machine calls a mishandled paper error after 50-100 sheets. Sometimes it will call the error sooner or later than that, but average 50-100 sheets. Already changed all the feeder rollers- that did not help. I tried to adjust the timing- not sure if that really helped or not.

Any suggestions- it's very frustrating!

Another problem on the c5500 is that it won't even take 1 sheet 8.5 x 11 of 300 GSM paper stock. I made sure all paper settings were correct.

On the C6500- every time I turn the machine on or turn on after Idle, the machine calls a paper jam error. Forgot the error Code, but it calls the jam near the fuser. Already changed the gears and sensors, but did not help. To clear the error, I need to open up M4, M8, M3, etc, close it up- and it will begin the warm up process.

I got more problems- but lets work on these first.

I just got the C5500 used with 50k copies on it. The C6500 I have had for 3 months- machine has 325k prints, I bought with 55k prints on it.

Stirton.M
12-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Ok, on both machines, are you printing from the large PF601 (has two decks) on 6500 or the LU-202 (single deck cabinet) on both 5500 and 6500? Or are these not present and you are printing from just the main body trays?

The paper trays (1-3) on the main body of the machine are not suited to feeding certain paper stock, especially anything of appreciable weight. 100# would exceed the weight specified on these trays. At least, I am assuming this because you did not specify the paper type you are using, or is what you called book which might be commonly referred to as text? (thin paper but has gloss, which adds to weight). Weight is subject to paper type. Is it bond, text, cover for example? Also, what is the point thickness of the paper? If you are unsure, use a micrometer and measure it.

see the chart on this page to see a correlation of weights.

Paper Weight - Conversion Chart (http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html)

The maximum specification on trays 1-3 on both series machines is 209 gsm. The bypass, LU and PF are a maximum 300 gsm. Point size is important as well. Anything above 11 points is officially not supported by KM. The machine may work with 12 point, but there is no guarantee as to consistent performance. Even at 11 point, we have had mixed results.

Also, anything above 273 gsm, duplex printing is not recommended, or rather, anything above 8 point. Reason being the paper tends to be too rigid and the number of bends it has to do to feed through the ADU tends to cause far too much drag and timing errors result, which is often what the jams are caused by in these machines. Any stock which is rigid, 11 point cover for example, the general recommendation is to print single sided from the bypass, PF or LU and then print side 2 separately. The machine should lock out that capability if the trays are programmed according to the paper stock used.

Also, depending on if you are printing face up or face down, paper weight can also be a factor here. Face up printing is recommended in ALL jobs, as it is the flattest profile through the machine if doing single sided. Face down, as the paper exits the fuser, it is deflected downwards and feeds partially into the ADU duplex path before it is reversed and sent to the exit (to an output tray on the main body or through the finisher). This is similar to duplex printing, though it doesn't go through the duplex fully. Any heavy stock will be subject to what I described previously here.

The finisher, whatever option you chose, will also be a factor.

This whole issue depends highly on what options you have on the machine, but the general rule of thumb I recommend to all my customers is to use the flattest profile through the machine as possible when using any stock of 8 point or more.

Glossy paper is troublesome too. The PF and LU units, the feed assemblies are pretty good for basic paper, but I am not a fan of that thin pickup tire. Thin relative to the feed tire that is on the same assembly. I sign out an extra tire from stock and replace that thin tire with one that is the same as the feed. Also, the height of the pickup tire is adjustable on these units.

Trays 1-3, I do not recommend anything kind of card stock. Thin paper stocks only. The tires here are not that great for feeding heavy paper grades. Though they will feed up to 9 point, there is no guarantee they will feed reliably. 7 point...or 100# Text (thickness of 20# with gloss) is generally the maximum recommended from these trays.

Also, this might seem a no brainer, but I have seen some users just load the paper but do not set the program of the copier to the paper weight. If it feeds too fast, some kinds of paper will slip, especially glossy stocks, causing a timing error.

Also, the jam codes themselves are important. If you do not have the codes shown at the time of the jam event, they are recorded in tech rep counters. These codes can indicate where the problem actually is. Let us know if you need assistance with this.

Hopefully that covers the basics, if the techs you had did not pass this info onto you.

random
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Got a few problems with both my C6500 and C5500.

The main problem on the C5500 is that running 12 x 18 100 # gloss book sheets through any tray, the machine calls a mishandled paper error after 50-100 sheets. Sometimes it will call the error sooner or later than that, but average 50-100 sheets. Already changed all the feeder rollers- that did not help. I tried to adjust the timing- not sure if that really helped or not.

Does it jam around the fuser? If so it may be the fuser exit rollers. There are two black rollers on the exit of the fuser. They have two grey rollers above them that you can adjust the pressure on. Anyway, the rollers start to slip on the shaft when they get hot, infact they pretty much free wheel. If you have a jam the machine obvioulsy stops the rollers cool and you can see no reason as to why the machine is jamming. You will do another 100 odd sheets and the same thing will happen. Best solution I have found is to use some rapid setting glue on the rollers to the shaft.

Penvy
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Guys that 300 gsm is the killer, even in the bypass
forget the duplex.
simply put
The stock is too thick and will damage the fuser roller in time
AND all of the input feed assy.
you can try to squeek a few thru but not worth the damage and time.

As far as the 100 # gloss......classic problem unless you clean the entire input feed, transfer,fuser assy every 100 copies.

What I have found is that different brands of the same 100# stock
some will work great and some are just crap.

Copiers are not presses!

their getting there.......... but not yet!

there's my 3 cents.....used to be 2 cents.....price went up
P

random
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Are we talking about the same machine here? I have customers running 300 all day and Im not entirely sure what clean all the input transfer and fuser is about, what are you supposed to clean!

dljorg
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Obviously there are a number of folks here including me who would like to help. Getting the jam and error codes you are experiencing will make our assiting you a ton easier.

I am going to tell you how to get into a place on the machine where you can do major damage so please do yourself a favor and only change this one thing.

Get into the service mode of the machine (stop zero zero stop zero one on the op panel hard keys). Press System Settings then Software Switch Settings. Set DIP SW 11-7 to 1. This will make all the error and jam codes show up in the black area at the top of the op panel when they happen and you can pass that info along.

Each jam code is associated with a sensor or timing problem and knowing what that is will be a BIG diagnostic help.

Best Regards from Connecticut

Custom Search