PDA

View Full Version : Second side gloss text

Custom Search

adastra100
12-16-2009, 01:38 AM
I am trying to print a full bleed on the second side of an 11 x 17 sheet on my Minolta CF 3102. The transfer roller is a little old, but I cleaned it carefully. I think it might be an old fuser unit. If there is a slight defect on the belt of the fuser unit, would it leave a milky white mark on a black area of the back side only?
I have 2 transfer belt units, I have switched them, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Can I polish or clean the belt of the fuser unit if it is the problem?

It's at the edge of the 11 x 17" sheet. ONLY on the back side! AAAUGH!!
I only need 40 sheets to finish a comic book that the customer is about to yank. I need that $397!

If anyone has any ideas, please advise. Thanks in advance.....

Stirton.M
12-16-2009, 05:57 AM
I think I know what you are speaking about. Can you upload a scanned image to verify this, not only for me, but others here who might be able to help you out.

As for my suspicions, it likely could be your fuser unit. Press the utility key, and then press "consumable life" button. In there, you will see a representation of the developer units, transfer belt (and roller) and fusing unit. Brand new, the bar represented is clear, but as the consumable is used, a progression of black "dots" go from the left to the right. If the indicator for your fuser is almost all black, the likelyhood is that your fuser is at the end of its life. Another way to tell, look at the fuser unit itself. There is yellow felt on the outer surface. If that yellow felt is mainly brown to black...replace the unit regardless of the consumable indicator.

Not much can be done for this. The surface of the rollers contains teflon. This eventually wears out and toner and other dirt sticks to it. Cleaning sort of helps, but it is not the solution. Replacing the fuser is the best option.

Replacing of the second transfer roller is also important. Technically, it should be replaced with the transfer belt unit. In many cases however, I know my peers and myself have left the roller. Most of the time this is fine, but if there is any image quality problems, replacing sometimes helps.

dogsbody
12-16-2009, 07:03 AM
As stirton.m said it will be your fuser. When it gets older, and you print with the larger sizes the first half will be OK but the old fuser skews the paper slightlly. It can present as random "milky" lines, creasing or distortion on the second half of the page because the paper is no longer traveling straight through the machine. It is not generally a problem on the smaller size pages.
Cheers.

Custom Search