PDA

View Full Version : ISWtrns with USB-to-Parallel adapter?

Custom Search

mrwho
01-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Anyone here owning a parallel-port-less laptop had any success updating old machine's firmwares (like the 7020 and such) via parallel cable using one of those USB-to-Parallel adapters?

If not, how did you solve that problem? Separate laptop only for updating purposes?

emujo
01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
You should not even attempt to use a parallel connection for this program. Stick with USB and the ISW driver. Even when I have had a new OACB and the manual says "don't use the USB connection method" it has never failed. I only update 500s, 950s etc, I don't have any experience with older MFPs that may need ISW trans. Emujo

mrwho
01-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Of course, but some models (the 7020 is an example) don't use USB for updates. So, my question stays: anyone ever used an usb-to-parallel to program these older models?

BIG PAPA
01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Right there, the USB ports didnt show up till 7145 series. The converters may work, depending on the brand of the converter, and the drivers that get installed with it. I alsays tried to hang onto an older laptop just for this reason.

pepper38_cnd
01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Our Guys have tried all ( I think well a lot at least ) USB to Parallel without success now since I am the only one with an old notebook still functioning with all ports, I get to do all the old crap. But if your laptop/notebook has an PCIMCICIA slot both Parallel and serial PCIMCIA cards will work great and you can pick them up for about $10 to $15 bucks.

Stirton.M
01-14-2010, 12:17 AM
This has been a question our office has had for some time now....backwards compatibility, specifically ECP, SPP and EPP modes. I would assume that there has to be at least one variant of adaptor that will work with legacy hardware. There are some concerns that older fiery (X2 and X3) as well as some PI controllers may not work, but again, there has to be one variant.

I briefly eyeballed this site that looks promising for the hackers amongst us...

Converter From USB To Parallel (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en)

Or this one that outright states it supports all parallel modes and includes a COMM port to boot (which is handy for those still needing this port to service old 911P devices).

Buy the Cables Unlimited USB-1480-06 Adapter at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4397038&CatId=471)

So many to choose from, and a limited budget....

Though truth be told, the need for the parallel port is becoming less important every day. Especially when there are alternatives regarding controllers with system code on a hard drive. As The Owl mentioned in another thread, imaging programs like Acronis can eliminate the need for parallel solutions.

Not to mention, gives us the excuse to say that we can no longer service that old POS, time for the customer to get into the 20th century and upgrade.

SmellsHot
01-14-2010, 03:10 AM
I've had success using the usb to parallel on Konica's 20 series machines.....
I think I have a belkin adapter for this.....
But like most people......I keep around an older laptop with parallel ports because you never know what could happen...........(i've zapped a laptop or two's usb ports updating firmware....ooops)

Good Luck!

RRodgers
01-14-2010, 05:46 AM
I've heard tell (at Konica if I remember correctly) that a PCMCIA to Parallel works. I haven't tried it though. You can get those for about $20 if I remember correctly.

mascan42
01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
This issue alone is the main reason we haven't done away with our old laptops. A machine as recent as the BH350 still uses a parallel connection to rewrite the Fiery system software. But until KM decides to officially endorse using a USB- or PCMCIA-to-parallel adapter, we won't be able to move into the 21st century.

Albonline
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I've heard tell (at Konica if I remember correctly) that a PCMCIA to Parallel works. I haven't tried it though. You can get those for about $20 if I remember correctly.

they do work. we use them.

alexfixes
01-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Anyone here owning a parallel-port-less laptop had any success updating old machine's firmwares (like the 7020 and such) via parallel cable using one of those USB-to-Parallel adapters?

If not, how did you solve that problem? Separate laptop only for updating purposes?

The ISW only works on parallel port only on some special machine you can use usb. i believe all new machine even 1050 uses parellel port. just get ibm think pad and it has parallel port. Now sometimes you can use the pcmcia or adapter but you can zap the machine or control chip on the baord. I don't know if you actually zap the laptop, it doen't really zap the laptop.

Custom Search