PDA

View Full Version : How to Update Fiery X3

Custom Search

mikeadel
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I have the System Software CD for the Fiery X3 on a 7075. Its been years since i've had to work on these and I dont remeber how yo update the system software. The hard drive crashed on the Fiery. Another question is will a bigger HD work? the original is a 10GB and I'm replacing it with a 40GB. The CD has the Boot file and then the OS. I think i have the rite cable but how do you get it over to the Fiery?

Stirton.M
01-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Is it a Fiery X3 or is it an IP601?

I only ask as the information I have through KM is that this machine only has IP601 or IP601M, looks like a PC tower with only a floppy disk drive and slides inside the main body behind the left side door at the bottom, interfaces via a single cable similar to firewire.

If you have a different controller as you said, the X3, I again cannot find documentation on this, nor any technical relation to the 7075.

That said, Minolta has a Di750, based on the same chassis, using a PI7500 which is definitely a fiery. See attached image. Is what you have similar to that?

If so, the 2nd and third attachments are typical of an external fiery that has its own control interface outside of the copier for installing system. You will need a parallel to mini centronics cable to upload system. Make sure your parallel port is set to ECP mode in the BIOS.

The method shown in the instructions is the S-L-O-W method. It will work but takes ages to pars the files.

The following link has a program called "parallel port utility", which GREATLY speeds up the process, there are instructions in the zip how to use the program. It is reliable to that extent. But from personal experience, depending on the computer you are using, the program is flakey. For example, if you start the download and controller fails to take the boot.efi file, if you attempt to do it a second time, the program seems to fail and you will see an unrealistic progression of the download. If you start the download a third time, it works as it should again. It is strange behavior, but once you've done a few as I have, it is normal and expected. The trick is to get the timing between the fiery and the PC right. As I said, the instructions are in the zip and explain what the order is.

Konica Minolta Knowlegebase (http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/browse.php?sess=0&parent=2036&expand=1&order=name&sortname=ASC)

Good luck....

Stirton.M
01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
I have the System Software CD for the Fiery X3 on a 7075. Its been years since i've had to work on these and I dont remeber how yo update the system software. The hard drive crashed on the Fiery. Another question is will a bigger HD work? the original is a 10GB and I'm replacing it with a 40GB. The CD has the Boot file and then the OS. I think i have the rite cable but how do you get it over to the Fiery?

Oh...forgot about your query regarding the drive...

On X3e variants meant for the 3102 and C350, we have successfully installed hard drives up to 160GB, though these take the laptop size drive. The PI7500 takes a full size drive. I am assuming it will be able to address the same volume as the others. Its been a very long time since I serviced these, so I cannot say for certain. But if like the PCs of that era, I am reasonably certain you could fit a 40GB drive without much issue. I think there might be a limit of 137GB...based on upper cylinder limit of older PC architecture.

And if the fiery is like the one I had shown earlier, you can simply remove that completely from the copier and use a standard power connector to power it. While installing system to one of these, it is not necessary to have it connected to the copier. Once you are done installing system however, you will need to connect it to the copier to print out a configuration page to ensure the device is operating correctly. Again, it will boot up by itself and indicate ready on the display regardless if the copier is connected or not.

mikeadel
01-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Thank You, I will give it a try. It is a Fiery X3 and not the Konica IP 601. I think I have the mini centronix cable somewhere.

maxman87
02-03-2010, 09:41 AM
i have also Fiery X3e printer controller with xerox dc12
i wish to upgrade the firmware of the fiery
my email id is manojsaini87@gmail.com
thanks in advance

Custom Search