PDA

View Full Version : Scan to e-mail - c450 and 7130

Custom Search

copierlady
01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I am not very literate with computer terms. I am trying to help a customer with a bizhub c450 and Konica 7130. They want me to set up the scan features on both machines including scan to e-mail. Will anyone give detailed instructions? I have all the parts and service manuals, but...

Stirton.M
01-23-2010, 10:04 AM
The C450 is quite easy to set up.

Login as admin through pagescope web connection in your local internet browser. It is the easiest by far to set up network related things. Password is 12345678 by default.

On the network tab, check the network settings. Make sure the Gateway address is at least set to the proper gateway of the local network. Fill in the DNS address fields according to the network DNS entries. You can open a command prompt (start menu, run command...type in cmd and press enter) and then in that window type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and press enter. You should get the network address settings of your local network, including the DNS entries.

When you have completed the TCP/IP entry screen, go to the email screen under the same tab. You will see email receive and transmit sub menus. Email receive is seldom used, but it can be used to actually poll an email address and print the contents of that address automatically. Most of the time though, this is a waste of paper. I usually turn this off.

In the transmit entry, you have to fill in only a few of the entries.

First is the SMTP address. You have a choice of using a name or an IP address. If you use a name, be sure to check the box near that entry to indicate this, else you will get an error response when you try to submit the change. I generally recommend using an IP address (because it is usually absolute and independent of network issues), but using a server name or SMTP name can be used. For example, if the customer has their own email exchange server, you can use the name of that server here (name such as mailserver), or if they are using their internet provider based email server, that name can be used(name such as shawmail.cg.shawcable.net). Both examples assume the DNS entries previously setup are functioning properly. Again, since I seldom trust the reliability of these, I would use the IP equivalent, which can be found by pinging the name in the command prompt window ("ping shawmail.cg.shawcable.net" without quotes) and enter that information.

The next fields to enter are the machine email address and the administrator email address. The former can usually be set here, sometimes the latter has to be set in another tab (machine setting on the first tab I think). The address most of the time can be generic but the address domain has to belong to the company's address range. So if they had email address like joe-shmo@company.com, you could use an address like copier@company.com. There are the rare exception that the address has to be a real active one. Exchange servers (local email servers) most of the time enforce this, so you may have to have the local IT create a user account for this purpose.

The next entries are again, dependent on the type of server you are connecting through. Authentication name and password fields are not always used. For example, if I was using shawmail.cg.shawcable.net, as long as that network was connected through Shaw's cable modem, any email sent through that server would not require the name and password, but the email address should have something in it. In my case, if I set up one on a shaw account, I would use a generic email address like copier@shaw.ca.

The rest can usually be left as default. Make sure binary division is off. Mail size can be set to unlimited in most cases, but you will need to verify from IT what the maximum email size can be. This should not be confused with the maximum email box size. I could have a box size of 100 MB, but a max email size of 5 MB. What this means is that I cannot email a file larger than 5 MB, but I can send twenty 5 MB files to that email before the box becomes full.

When you are done, be sure to logout from admin. From the user screen, you can create your email one touches. Should be self explanatory there. Input the name and the email address destinations.

One thing I forgot to qualify earlier was that there are times when some email address locations may be restricted. For example, if I set up for companya.com, I should be always able to send to someguy@company-a.com without issue. But if I create a onetouch for someguy@company-b.com, the email server may reject the scan attempt. Usually this has to do with networks that are domain controlled AND using a local email server. In those cases, the copier must be included in the user lists of both the domain controller server and the email server to send to outside email addresses. Basically the IT guys would create a user account on their network for the copier, using the copier's physical name. This is also the case when creating SMB one touches on these types of networks. Windows Server 2003 and later are typically defaulted in this manner.

Custom Search