PDA

View Full Version : c252 noise

Custom Search

masterteknicion
01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I have a c252 that is making a clicking noise. After you turn machine on and it is cycling for about 20 seconds you hear the noise. It is coming from the main motor that turns the trans belt and the black dv unit. You can see the motor turn for a few seconds it stops and then turns again for a few and then you hear the noise. Cl4 is the clutch that engages the dv unit.

Has anyone seen what this is. Haven't took dv drive apart yet. If so what usually breaks in there? Gears?

Stirton.M
01-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Though you have described the noise and where it is coming from, nothing beats being able to hear what the noise sounds like...how fast is it, how loud is it, is it metal on metal, metal on plastic, plastic on plastic....until I actually can hear it, it is "just" noise and is mostly meaningless.

Are you experiencing any service codes with the noise? Sometimes this can be a clue.

It could simply be something binding and causing the gears to jump teeth (based on some personal experiences). On one occasion I had a bad transfer belt coupling to the main drive. Replaced the belt and the problem went away. In another few cases, the developing units were binding up (stored on end rather than flat). Give all the units a good side to side shake to redistribute the starter internally. Might be a binding drum in the unit. If you had some old spare IUs and a belt AND fuser unit, I would say you could swap each of those to eliminate them as the possible sources of the noise and narrow it down.

It could be something simple as the turnover/exit section gears are not meshing well, or that the fuser drive housing was damaged, causing a slightly loose coupling to the fuser itself. Enough to drive, but can hop the mesh as it drives.

Of course, most of those problems usually are accompanied by other problems, such as service codes or even jam events. Cannot hurt to review those histories to see if there might be a relation.

I do have an appreciation of knowing just how much freakin work it is to get at those drive assemblies, only to find there is nothing physically wrong with them. But that is not to say they are not at fault. But following the above steps will help eliminate all the easy checks and narrow it down. How you go about it is up to you I guess.

masterteknicion
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention. Installed a new bk iu, replaced transfer belt and fuser unit. Again the main motor turns with no noise for a few, stops turns again for a few and then you hear the clicking noise. I can touch that motor and feel the noise. I only let the noise run for about 10 to 15 seconds and then i shut it down, no codes come up within that time.

Stirton.M
01-24-2010, 01:14 AM
I wonder if this is similar to a problem someone else had here regarding the toner add, though in their case, that noise was pretty severe....not to mention on a c253

masterteknicion
01-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Ok. I replaced all the gears in the drive train that drives the black iu and the black iu drive clutch. I didn't see any of the gears that could have been causing the noise. So I am saying the cause was the black iu drive clutch (cl4).

Thanks for your replies.

Custom Search