PDA

View Full Version : Help with IP-423 Print controller

Custom Search

Jon
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Let me start by telling you all: I am an idiot.

I have managed to nuke the firmware on the controller board itself by accidentally plugging an IP-422 flash card into my IP-423 controller.

The controller is now not responding, and I have no way of getting the correct controller firmware. I have been told there are 2 sets of firmware, the one on the card and the one on the board. I had saved the flashcard firmware to my computer hard drive.

I had been playing with it attempting to bypass the password on the unit, as we had just purchased it used. Turned out had I waited an extra hour the old owner had the password for me.

So, yep. I am completely dumb and in need of help from the Copier G-ds.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Copier is a 7022

Jon
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I neglected to mention that I switched the 423's 1gb flash HD for the 5gb optical hard drive in the 422. Apparently there is firmware on this hard drive? Putting the old one in seems to have things working all right.

mrwho
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
It's all a little fuzzy, since it's been some time since I serviced one of those. BUT if I remember correctly, that IP has two firmwares, and you must choose the correct one for the one you got: There's one firmware for those *without* PostScript (the standard one - it comes with a 16Mb CF card) and another firmware for those *with* postscript (optional, it comes with a 32CF card and an extra chip on its insides). You're talking about a 1Gb Flash HD - I assume that's an (optional? somebody help me...) HD the controller uses (accessible by taking out a small metal flap on the top held by two screws). The other CF (16 or 32Mb) is inside the IP, you must take out a large cover to get to it.

If you can give us pictures, I think I can help you.

The firmware is simply written on the 16 or 32 card using a card reader on a computer (just copy the files over). I must dig in my stuff to see if I have it somewhere over here. Tell us the flavour you have.

Jon
01-26-2010, 09:07 PM
32mb card and I got it working. I figured out that the little 5gb optical drive I had put in was giving a nice click of death...

Turns out my Firmware Faux Paux was a red herring in the end. Im sorry to even bother you guys with this :)

Nice to know I have a postscript chip. Thanks very much for answering.

mrwho
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't remember exactly the function of the HD, but I thing you need it if you want to do some scanning or to use the ability to send faxes from the PC (if you have the optional FK-101 fax kit). Either way, you can try a PCMCIA CompactFlash card reader with a 2Gb CF Card instead of a PCMCIA HD - I remember we used to do that, although I can't guarantee that it works with any brand of cards and card readers.

Good to know you got it to work.

Cheers!

Custom Search