PDA

View Full Version : Konica c350 - Print Error Message

Custom Search

IS3 Tech
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi,
I just connected a c350 to the network to serve as work group printer.

After installing the driver, the machine is displaying a message that the paper in tray 1 is the wrong type -- regardless of the print layout settings, or type / orientation of paper in the machine.

It's a used machine, and I have never seen this occur before now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am new as a copier repair tech, so please forgive me if it is something simple that I am overlooking.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

BIG PAPA
01-27-2010, 09:22 PM
When you send the print job, what is it asking for on the screen? It should say size and type, this is what it is getting from the driver. Settings have to be the same on both ends.

Stirton.M
01-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I agree.

Check the tray settings on the control panel. You should see each tray button with a single icon next to the paper size. In the case of letter, you will see the icon represent the loaded paper in landscape (short edge of paper is towards feed in machine) or portrait (long edge of paper is towards feed in machine). If you see any additional icons next to the first icon, this means the tray has been programmed for special paper. On the C350, the manual bypass and tray 1 allow for thick paper types, as well as other special paper settings, like letterhead. Any additional trays will only allow for special paper settings other than thick paper types. You can select the tray by highlighting it, on the right side you can press the tray settings and set those options as well as force a fixed paper size or set the paper size to auto. I recommend you set ALL paper sizes to auto here. If you use a fixed size, you may not get the desired effects, and could cause jamming if the wrong paper size/orientation is in the drawer relative to the "forced" program.

Ensure the options in your print driver are also configured to reflect what the machine has, such as finisher options and tray 3/4 options to name a couple.

The following link has manuals you can download for this machine which will illustrate what you need to know.

http://207.194.48.151/intranet2/browse.php?sess=0&parent=4961&expand=1&order=name&sortname=ASC

IS3 Tech
01-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys for the posts! The manuals are definitely helpful!!

The printer was used, and it definitely showed. Folks started trying out the printer, which ran the C,Y, & K toner very low. I replaced them early, just to get rid of the messages. It appears that I should have let it go until the toner was fully exhausted. However in an effort to try to clear the messages, I reset the toner. Shortly there after, I received error messages saying that the imaging units for these same colors (C, Y, & K) needed to be replaced. The unit completely stopped working late yesterday afternoon -- much to everyone's dismay.

I am trying to do a little more investigating before installing new imaging units. Any suggestions?

At ~$350 a pop, that's ~$1,050 bucks to replace the imaging units. The unit is under a 30 day warranty. We bought from an equipment broker for used equipment. We checked the machine and had the LED's cleaned, but it looks like it was not enough. At 107k clicks, the price seemed good ($1,200). Replacing the toner and assuming that we had to replace the fuser, would still make money. With the imaging units though, someone may have tried to clear the toner messages by pulling the imaging units. Or, they may have been the second units and been due for replacement at 107k. However all of them going out at once seems strange.

Thanks again!

Stirton.M
01-30-2010, 01:39 AM
There are a couple guys here that sell chip reset devices. See the ads here and there.

Of course, there are limits on rechipping IUs. They do not make it through a full round before they fail completely.

Also, the IUs themselves do not hold just toner. They contain a mixture of graphite with about 7 percent of toner in the colour indicated. Replace the toner bottles when the machine insists. You can still place the old toner bottles in until they are fully empty. The machine monitors them by shining an infrared led through the plastic windows on the front and rear sides of the bottle to a detection led. If toner blocks that path through, the machine thinks the toner is full. As the bottle empties, the window through will expose the sensor to the LED. The machine will indicate replace soon. Eventually there will be no toner at all in the bottle and it will force a replacement.

The IU monitors itself by another sensor on the bottom side of the developer chamber. A 7-8% toner to carrier ratio is maintained. When the toner drops to a certain level, the machine will turn the sub hopper unit directly under the bottle, directly feeding the IU from there to bring up the TCR. Another sensor inside the hopper unit will ensure that the toner bottle is agitated as needed to maintain its levels.

That said, replace the IU is generally recommended when the machine requests it, or colour reproduction quality suffers as a result of a worn unit.

For the most part, most consumables can be reset once. They rarely can be reset a second time, meaning they should be replaced because of quality issues.

Custom Search