PDA

View Full Version : C203 copier email address anomaly.

Custom Search

Stirton.M
01-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Encountered a rather strange thing today regarding a customer who had changed their company name and wanted to change the copier's email addresses to match.

I've set up literally hundreds of machines without issue of this nature, but this one has me a bit perplexed.

In the web interface, they had changed both the machine and administrator domain portions to reflect the change.

For example, administrator original address was admin@westgro.com and the copier address was bizhub@westgro.com. Customer changed the names to admin@ecogro.com and bizhub@ecogro.com. All fine and hunkydory without issue most of the time this is done.

However, when they tested a scan to email, the email return address from the copier did not reflect this change, the old email address remained persistent.

They called us to look at it. I viewed the changes, verified they were definitely set to the new address. There is also a third address that can be found in the "Scan" tab of the main control panel, to set the copier address there as well. I checked this and sure enough, it was the old address and I changed it accordingly.

Did this correct the problem? No.

I powered off the machine, thinking it could be just one of those strangeness things that this series machine has. It did nothing to change the address. I checked again, double checked, triple checked, through both the main control panel and the web interface. The problem persists.

Also what I had noted was that the subject and body text fields had not been filled. I always fill these in primarily because some email servers/programs will block any messages that do not have these fields with something in them. The subject I fill with "scanned document" and the body I fill with, "do not reply, this email contains a scanned file from ecogro". Again, like the hundreds of machines before, this has never given issue.

Another scan to email test. The email received again with the old address and no subject and no body text. More power cycling and double checks and all that. Still no joy on those things.

And here is where it gets really strange.

We have been making use of the capability of the machine to automatically email the meter readings to our accounting department. The customer has their own entry in this area so they can also receive a copy of the meter read for their own accounting. Again, straight forward stuff.

What is strange about this is the email that is sent out has the correct email address of the machine, contrary to what I observe with the scan to email.

Any thoughts on this? I am thinking some kind of memory hickup and am going to do a factory initialize, but would like to know if anyone else has encountered this. Thus far as I understand it, my supervisor encountered this at another account, same series machine. Firmware is at level R6.

Mr Spock
01-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Warning Stupid question to follow:

Utility/mode under the machine/admin address are these the same or different? I always use the same for both and it usually works. I have seen where these are not the same and that react like you mentioned. Otherwise I am with you either a factory init or reload of the firmware. ( I would start with the firmware since it is less time consuming).

RRodgers
01-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Is it threw there email server? Or an ISP? Maybe try a new DNS server? 4.2.2.1

Stirton.M
01-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I've noted that some machines it is possible to have both the machine address and the admin address the same. Other models, this isn't possible as the machine will simply not accept the entry through pagescope. Because of the latter issue, I am used to using a different address for the admin...usually admin@domainname.com is sufficient. The copier address however is sometimes more critical, depending if they are using domain control and exchange server.

Firmware is indeed less time consuming.

Stirton.M
01-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Is it threw there email server? Or an ISP? Maybe try a new DNS server? 4.2.2.1

I was thinking that it was possible this company is using authentication for the machine's email, and likely that the email address itself is account locked, regardless of the settings at the physical machine side. I asked the customer to contact their IT (one of those out of town setups) to find out if this was the case.

Of course, that part doesn't explain the issue with the subject and body fields, which I think is somehow related.

Custom Search